• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in restaurants that change to 21-and-over in the evening?

kparker

imported post

Folks,

RCW 9.41.300 (d) includes "that portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age" as placess off-limits to the carry of firearms?

But what of those establishments that are all-ages up until a certain time, and then convert to 21-and-over later? Exactly what is the time when a carrying patron must be off the premises? This question came up because I'm possibly attending a meeting at just such a place next week. In response to my question, "Are you a 21+ establishment only?" the person on the phone replied, "We let all ages in until about 8:00 or 8:30, but they'd have to be out for sure by 9:00."

The RCW doesn't address this nuance, and I don't really want to become a test case...

joeroket

imported post

Thats a good one but I would have to guess that the place you are talking about here would not fall under 9.41.300 until 9pm. That is when it becomes off limits to persons under 21 as classified by the state liquor control board. It would be treated as a restaurant until the point in time when persons under 21 must leave.

I could not find any info on the liquor control boards site that even referances this type of establishment. I guess we can chalk up another poorly written law.

kparker

imported post

OK, the evening went off w/o incident. No problems at all....

However, there sure could have been, due to the weird (imo) way the restaurant notified patrons about the conversion-to-adults-only: nothing at all!

The only reason I even know about it was that I called and asked, as the name is one of those "bar and grille" type names that might suggest it's a licensed establishment. That's how I found out the situation in the first place.

But when I arrived and actually entered, there was no firearms-restricted sign visible anywhere, not even covered up as far as I can tell, and no other written notification posted that sometime soon this very evening, the place was going to convert to 21-and-over.

And then, when the magic hour came, I left because I knew I needed to, but no kind of announcement was made about the change in status of the place. Now maybe the hostess could see that nobody present could possibly be underage (certainly true of my party!) but they are apparently completely oblivious to the other legal aspects of the situation. I think a call to the manager is in order...

just_a_car

imported post

kparker wrote:
I think a call to the manager is in order...
Agreed.

I didn't catch if you were OC'ing at the time, but I assume you were, as you said you had to leave at that time. If that's the case "hooray!" for another uneventful Open Carry!:celebrate