Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New definition of lazy: eating an MRE at your desk because you don't want to get up

Post imported post

On the way back from the bbq, I stopped at Full Metal Jacket (army suplus store in Alexandria) and picked up a couple MRE's. I've ALWAYS loved the taste from when my friends in ROTC would bring 'em back to the dorm, and I loved being so lazy I didn't need to get up for anything, not for a napkin, not for a dessert, not even to heat it up.

Menu No. 24 (Meatloaf with Gravy) is delicious...

I picked up another two different flavors, but imma try and keep them for emergencies like when it's really bad weather and there's nothing in the fridge. I'll probably end up going through it this weekend though. Bon apetit!
    -Unrequited

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

You could always enlist, I guarantee you will be sick of them.
    MRE= Meals Rejected by Everyone

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    On the way back from the bbq, I stopped at Full Metal Jacket (army suplus store in Alexandria) and picked up a couple MRE's. I've ALWAYS loved the taste from when my friends in ROTC would bring 'em back to the dorm, and I loved being so lazy I didn't need to get up for anything, not for a napkin, not for a dessert, not even to heat it up.

Menu No. 24 (Meatloaf with Gravy) is delicious...

I picked up another two different flavors, but imma try and keep them for emergencies like when it's really bad weather and there's nothing in the fridge. I'll probably end up going through it this weekend though. Bon apetit!
    hahahahahahahah,

my personal fav is Menu No. 22 the Jamabalya

Post imported post

i guess we are all waiting around to read bob's post about the BBQ......

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It's a comin!

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    You could always enlist, I guarantee you will be sick of them.
    MRE= Meals Rejected by Everyone
    I don't like 'em that much heh. $6 isn't too much for me to splurge on a meal.

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
    my personal fav is Menu No. 22 the Jamabalya
    Oh I passed that one up for Spaghetti & Meatballs and Cajun Rice w/Sausage.

Oh, I just cut my lip getting the last bit of mashed potatoes out from the corner, I'd never last a month in combat. > )
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

There are a few that were good. Some you HAD to "heat to eat" or it was just nasty. I recall eating plenty when I attended Desert Storm.

I also recall landing in country, sitting on the ground in a staging area, scuds flying over, and being hungry as hell....

Being an NCO I took charge and demanded the troops be given something to eat after the long flight. MREs were passed out and everyone started to chow down. Many people gave me their desert cakes since I did enjoy eating them.

I opened one up and found the texture to be all wrong!! Been in long enough to know what was normal and not possibly to eat. I checked the date on the MRE box.... EXPIRED 2 Years Prior!!!!

Unreal. But the other food was still good. I just could not enjoy the baked goods.

Post imported post

When I first joining back in 1985..... My LT was from the country. Real nice guy but strange looking. Had that farm boy look about him.

He saved up all his money and when we went the the field... he would save his MREs so he could eat them at home to save on his grocery bill.

He drove an old, beat up, pickup and saved every cent for four years. He got out and went home with a pile of cash for the farm.

True story.

Post imported post

I do miss having the chance to make Ranger pudding, dumplings out of the crackers, and pineapple turnover cake.

Post imported post

Holy crap I just ate about 800 calories, and I'm not done with my candy or drinks yet.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    Holy crap I just ate about 800 calories, and I'm not done with my candy or drinks yet.
    The average MRE runs 1200 to 1250 IIRC

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Seven months during Desert Shield/Storm of eating those things, no more, I will relish cooked food until MRE are the last thing left on earth to eat. I was on reconnaissance aircrew 10 - 12hour plus missions and those were even our flightbox lunches. Thank god for tobasco sauce and M&M. My aircrew weapon a measly 38 caliber colt.

Post imported post

Sounds like the selection has grown a bit and Tabasco is included. Nothing beats a cold dehydrated pork patty. yuuuuummy!! I'll take C-Rats anyday over MRE's, well as long as I don't have to lug them around in my pack.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    Sounds like the selection has grown a bit and Tabasco is included. Nothing beats a cold dehydrated pork patty. yuuuuummy!! I'll take C-Rats anyday over MRE's, well as long as I don't have to lug them around in my pack.
    So what was Chesty Puller really like?

Post imported post

My favorite was the Pork Rib. One of those "have to heat" meals because otherwise it had a jello like coating on it which tastes aweful in my opinion.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    DOH!!!!!!

The Corps was still converting over to MRE's when I joined. Chesty, don't know but his son in law was my Regimental Commander at 29 Palms.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    Green eggs and ham: Outstanding!

Dehydrated beef pattie: Unsat!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Green eggs and ham: Outstanding!

Dehydrated beef pattie: Unsat!
    The beef was great once you added some water and heated it up!!

My fav... hotdogs!!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Age-biased commentary: Unsat!

Barnes and Noble still carries in paperback his biography, MARINE!

I think it was Omar Bradley early in his career who witnesseda newly commissioned Lewis Puller look down at his new butter bars and say, "Well, now I've got them. All I need is a war." The book is full of anecdotes like this.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Hmm, I never heated my MRE's.

I always saved the heaters for making bottle bombs.

I also got in a lot of trouble during a field training exercise for that. Apparently, CO2 bombs aren't allowed in simulated hostile-fire training exercises.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Hah, didn't want to bring that up, but my ROTC friends always kept the heaters from my packs... they were naughty kids.
    -Unrequited

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

So I suppose you all are intimately familiar with Skippy's list???

http://www.skippyslist.com/skippylist.html
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

*ahhh* Skippy's List. Loved it ever since I read it back in PSAB.

Then again, I've always been a fan of The Ranger Digest, as well...

http://www.therangerdigest.com/

Which reminds me, I should get some 550 cord....

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:

I also got in a lot of trouble during a field training exercise for that. Apparently, CO2 bombs aren't allowed in simulated hostile-fire training exercises.
    Did not know you could make them...... Damn!!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

Did not know you could make them......* Damn!!
    My other favorite was "She's dead! Why can't I use her as cover?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast