• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggested reading...

savery

imported post

Since there have been quite a few stories about people being detained while carrying, I thought I'd reccomend a book. It's you and the police, and it helps clarify a lot of misconceptions (like the fact that you're not required to cary, not to mention produce ID if you're not operating a motor vehicle) and the fact that you shouldn't just ask if you're being detained, but if the cop has "reasonable articulabe suspicion" and what his RAS is. A really good book, tels you how to handle the cops and what your rights are.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Police-Boston-T-Party/dp/1888766018

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

savery wrote:
Since there have been quite a few stories about people being detained while carrying, I thought I'd reccomend a book. It's you and the police, and it helps clarify a lot of misconceptions (like the fact that you're not required to cary, not to mention produce ID if you're not operating a motor vehicle) and the fact that you shouldn't just ask if you're being detained, but if the cop has "reasonable articulabe suspicion" and what his RAS is. A really good book, tels you how to handle the cops and what your rights are.

I read his "Boston's Gun Bible" and am currently reading "Molon Labe". For those who are really into the gun culture (as am I), "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross is also highly recommended.

savery

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
savery wrote:

I read his "Boston's Gun Bible" and am currently reading "Molon Labe". For those who are really into the gun culture (as am I), "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross is also highly recommended.
Read all of the above, plus "hologram of liberty" by Boston. Good stuff!!!

LEO 229

imported post

savery wrote:

I am not sure your going to "handle" the cops.. but rather have the knowledge to better understand what your own rights are.

And if you are driving a motor vehicle....:p

§ 46.2-104. Possession of registration cards; exhibiting registration card and licenses; failure to carry license or registration card.

The operator of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer being operated on the highways in the Commonwealth, shall have in his possession: (i) the registration card issued by the Department or the registration card issued by the state or country in which the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer is registered, and (ii) his driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit.

The owner or operator of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall stop on the signal of any law-enforcement officer who is in uniform or shows his badge or other sign of authority and shall, on the officer's request, exhibit his registration card, driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit and write his name in the presence of the officer, if so required, for the purpose of establishing his identity.

Every person licensed by the Department as a driver or issued a learner's or temporary driver's permit who fails to carry his license or permit, and the registration card for the vehicle which he operates, shall be guilty of a traffic infraction and upon conviction punished by a fine of ten dollars. However, if any person summoned to appear before a court for failure to display his license, permit, or registration card presents to the officer issuing the summons or a magistrate of the county or city in which the summons was issued, before the return date of the summons, a license or permit issued to him prior to the time the summons was issued or a registration card, as the case may be, or appears pursuant to the summons and produces before the court a license or permit issued to him prior to the time the summons was issued or a registration card, as the case may be, he shall have complied with the provisions of this section.

(Code 1950, §§ 46-15, 46-80; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-7; 1964, c. 205; 1972, c. 362; 1978, cc. 500, 605; 1984, c. 780; 1988, c. 74; 1989, c. 727.)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Some years back, I worked with a young man from South Carolina who once argued with me that you HAD to always carry an ID with you at all times... that this was the law. For the life of me, I could not seem to convince him otherwise; that you did not have to, nor were you required to carry any sort of ID all the time.

I would have thought he would have know better, especially since he was from the deep South, but he was convinced I was wrong and he was right on this one.

AbNo

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
...but he was convinced I was wrong and he was right on this one.

In these cases I insist they show the statute (that makes it law).

Got to it before I could.

That being said, I just remembered.... My friend Gina back in Miami sent me $30 in Amazon credit for my birthday.

Think I found something to spend some of it on. :celebrate