Thread: How much must be visible?

Post imported post

So, at the moment, the only handgun I have is a Ruger Redhawk chambered in .44 Magnum, with a 7.5" barrel. It is large. I would like to OC, and it would motivate me more if I could OC in an IWB holster, at least in the summer months when I don't need a coat... At any rate, how much of the gun must be visible to qualify as "open"?

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    So, at the moment, the only handgun I have is a Ruger Redhawk chambered in .44 Magnum, with a 7.5" barrel. It is large. I would like to OC, and it would motivate me more if I could OC in an IWB holster, at least in the summer months when I don't need a coat... At any rate, how much of the gun must be visible to qualify as "open"?
    There is no written law on the matter in PA and only one caselaw Commonwealth v. Hawkins, but in most states it must be recognizable as a pistol.

To be safe, make sure the entire grip and upper portion of the receiver that is sticking out of a holster is visible. Make sure that if anybody that looks at it, that they can distictively see that it IS a pistol. Make absolutely no attempt to cover it, make every attempt to make sure its visible.

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    People like it when I carry my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 inch barrel in my

I get alot of compliments.

Carry On Men :celebrate

Post imported post

Nice,

Here is my SA rig that I use to open carry in the Jefferson, Clearfield, Elk, and Clarion county areas.

Ruger Vaquero(old style) 45LC, Tombstone cartridge belt, hi-ride cross draw holster(cant remember make, purchased from MidwayUSA).

Post imported post

If you have a PA LTCF it doesn't much matter. Half showing, half not All Good.

Post imported post

DJ TURNz wrote:
    If you have a PA LTCF it doesn't much matter. Half showing, half not All Good.
    But for people who don't have an LTCF...

Post imported post

Just make sure its visible for God and all to see.. The firearm should be recognizable as a firearm.

An entirely exposed grip should be sufficient enough, considering in Commonwealth v Hawkins it was determined that carrying in one's waistband, presumably Mexican style, was legal without a license.

And hip or thigh holster would provide you the visibility that you would need, just make sure your shirt or jacket is tucked in behind the gun at all times. You want to make sure that when someone looks at it, that it looks like a holstered gun.