• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How much must be visible?

imperialism2024

imported post

So, at the moment, the only handgun I have is a Ruger Redhawk chambered in .44 Magnum, with a 7.5" barrel. It is large. I would like to OC, and it would motivate me more if I could OC in an IWB holster, at least in the summer months when I don't need a coat... At any rate, how much of the gun must be visible to qualify as "open"?

knight0334

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
So, at the moment, the only handgun I have is a Ruger Redhawk chambered in .44 Magnum, with a 7.5" barrel. It is large. I would like to OC, and it would motivate me more if I could OC in an IWB holster, at least in the summer months when I don't need a coat... At any rate, how much of the gun must be visible to qualify as "open"?

There is no written law on the matter in PA and only one caselaw Commonwealth v. Hawkins, but in most states it must be recognizable as a pistol.

To be safe, make sure the entire grip and upper portion of the receiver that is sticking out of a holster is visible. Make sure that if anybody that looks at it, that they can distictively see that it IS a pistol. Make absolutely no attempt to cover it, make every attempt to make sure its visible.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

People like it when I carry my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 inch barrel in my

[align=right]
792%20COGBURN%20DEL%2EJPG
[/align]

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Holster[/align]

[align=right]
ROOSTEr%20deluze%20belt%7E4%20copy%2EJPG
[/align]

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Belt[/align]

I get alot of compliments.

Carry On Men :celebrate

knight0334

imported post

Nice,

Here is my SA rig that I use to open carry in the Jefferson, Clearfield, Elk, and Clarion county areas.

Ruger Vaquero(old style) 45LC, Tombstone cartridge belt, hi-ride cross draw holster(cant remember make, purchased from MidwayUSA).

100_0175.jpg

DJ TURNz

imported post

If you have a PA LTCF it doesn't much matter. Half showing, half not All Good.

knight0334

imported post

Just make sure its visible for God and all to see.. The firearm should be recognizable as a firearm.

An entirely exposed grip should be sufficient enough, considering in Commonwealth v Hawkins it was determined that carrying in one's waistband, presumably Mexican style, was legal without a license.

And hip or thigh holster would provide you the visibility that you would need, just make sure your shirt or jacket is tucked in behind the gun at all times. You want to make sure that when someone looks at it, that it looks like a holstered gun.