• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying at Virginia rest stops

mercutio545

imported post

I was going to Hampton Roads from Richmond yesterday, and I stopped at that new rest stop on 64. Got a soda, walked out to my car, and these 4 big guys in an SUV with New York plates saw my gun, and their jaws dropped. The appropriate response: "Welcome to Virginia!" :D

That has to be a great way for people from other states to learn about open carry. It's a shame to think that they can restrict gun laws so much. Definitely lucky to live in Virginia...

LEO 229

imported post

That is too funny!!

Ya, I am sooo happy I chose VA over DC and MD. I had no idea that certain states had tougher laws either. Now that I own a Machine gun... VA is a good state to be in.

Tomahawk

imported post

They probably drove off calling you a hick or something. I grew up in Jersey, I know how folks think up there.

Then they went back to their home, where the big and strong can bully the small and weak at will. And they think Virginia is uncivilized...

OR

They thought it was cool and want to change NY for the better.

You never know.

ParaWarthog

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I was going to Hampton Roads from Richmond yesterday, and I stopped at that new rest stop on 64. Got a soda, walked out to my car, and these 4 big guys in an SUV with New York plates saw my gun, and their jaws dropped. The appropriate response: "Welcome to Virginia!" :D
CLASSIC response! That is just about the most educational one can be in concerns to open carry! Maybe those guys won't be as surprised when they see somebody else OC'ing in Virginia!

casullshooter

imported post

I had a similar experience in Gainesville last summer . A couple had pulled their car into a 7-11 (Mass. Tags) and were asking the cashier for directions . The cashier was more lost than they were . I offered to get out my map PW County and help , at this point they noticed the .45 Auto and went bug-eyed but did not freak-out . I used my map and wrote out directions for them while explaining Va open carry laws , they listened and seemed to understand . At the end they asked if all Virginians are this polite , I told them not all unfortunately but look for the ones with guns openly carried in holsters as these are the Good guys . I lastly welcomed them to the Commonwealth . I bet this was a part of their vacation story when they got back home !

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
They probably drove off calling you a hick or something. I grew up in Jersey, I know how folks think up there.

Then they went back to their home, where the big and strong can bully the small and weak at will. And they think Virginia is uncivilized...

OR

They thought it was cool and want to change NY for the better.

You never know.

Yeah, you're right. Unfortunately for us Southerners there is a concerted effort in the media, entertainment, and academicfields to paint us as barely able to walk upright and chew gun at the same time. For some reason, they believe that they have the knowledge and intelligence market cornered. However we know better and thank God we do.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

unrequited wrote:
1st freedom wrote:
Do you know the definition of a "blumpkin"
Oh yes... which gave the thread title "Open carrying at Virginia rest stops" a whole new meaning... : (
oh wow........ :celebrate:monkey

on another note, has anyone else observed that mr.:celebrate does pelvic thrusts faster than :monkey?

happy carrying,

jason

Tomahawk

imported post

BobCav wrote:
unrequited wrote:
1st freedom wrote:
Do you know the definition of a "blumpkin"
Oh yes... which gave the thread title "Open carrying at Virginia rest stops" a whole new meaning... : (

Oh no you did NOT! I'm gonna be sick...

You bastards made me look that one up.....:what:
puke.gif

mercutio545

imported post

A ruger P345 in a OWB fobus paddle holster. I wonder what they would have done if I had been wearing my thigh rig... Hah.

n25511434_32859425_5079.jpg

Not too intimidating or anything. The stainless finish usually makes it more recognizable to people though. It would have been a different story if I was carrying the gun above it :D

edit: inserted picture

30 cal slut

imported post

too funny. i get the same wild-eyed responses from noo-yawkers/NJ folk when gassing up or hitting a state rest stop to water the cactus.

but i can't say "welcome to virginia" with a straight face, since i don't live there.