Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA State Trooper encounter last week...

Post imported post

So, I was riding back from the Hite Hollow range with my buddy Shayne driving, and we were discussing the large number of cops on 81 that day (last Thursday).

I'm not really paying attention, but he looks at his rear view mirror, and says "Oh crap, this is probably for my tags."

Thankfully, the Trooper was pretty casual about everything.

"Hi, do you know why I stopped you? Yeah, that's right. So, where are you guys coming from?"

"We just got done at the range in Hite Hollow."

"Oh yeah, so you have guns in the car?"

"Yeah, two rifles, five handguns -- No, four -- Four? That's right, your Taurus is still in the shop! -- They are all unloaded of course."

"So they are all unloaded? All right."

Misc. chat for a minute about how Shayne realized his tags were expired after he saw the flashy blues, Trooper goes back to his car, leaves us sitting in his.

Another trooper pulls up behind the stopping officer, but never approaches us.

Stopper comes back, hands him a ticket, and even tells him to get his tagges renewed, and where to mail proof that he has to get the ticket waived.

Idle comments about the second Trooper that pulled up, and he tells us it's SOP to have backup if there's weapons around, which I think we can all agree makes sense.

All in all, for a first LEO encounter with firearms involved, it was a very good one.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

It is the LEOs discretion if he wants backup. They do not know you and that your law abiding people. You admitted to having guns and it was not required. The law does not require a notification.

Ya... more often than not... Mail in proof you took care of the expired item immediately and the Judge will get it with the ticket. He or she can then decide to dismiss the charge as "Complied with law" or find you "guilty in absentia."

The Judges normally let you go. It is so minor anyway... They just want compliance with the law.

Post imported post

So why can't I go 95mph down I-66?
    Umm, 'cause your not, like, the governor or anything. DUH!!!

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    So why can't I go 95mph down I-66? I mean, I'll just comply next time.
    Cute.... :P You cannot undo the violation.

It only counts for non-moving violations. Sorry.

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

So why can't I go 95mph down I-66
    For Ged's sake man, get something with more horsepower... That's redline in first gear for me... :PYou've got to have *something* faster than those porky chargers and LS1 camaros.

Any modern literbike will leave all of those in your rock spitting, asphalt scorching dust. The top ones are able to gain ground on MD's medevac chopper ...

So you can go faster than 95mph IF you are willing to suffer the consequences of your actions. I believe that the FC judges draw a "line" at 90mph for jail time.

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    I think I'll stick to non-moving violations until I get elected.

LEO, will you be my driver when I'm govenor of VA?
    Sure.. but where the seat belt.. My last passenger got messed up when I rolled the car.

Post imported post

One could argue that it was an improvement...

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Wooley wrote:
    I think I'll stick to non-moving violations until I get elected.

LEO, will you be my driver when I'm govenor of VA?
    Sure.. but where the seat belt.. My last passenger got messed up when I rolled the car.
    Great. You'd rather drive me around in an SUV instead of citizen anyways...he'd want to ride on the back of a Harley with you!
    HAAH.. Where is that 'ol scatter brain anyway? Been talking about him and he has not chimed in for a while now.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    'Cause if you live in VA, that'll get you a $2500 fine. Of course, if you live in MD you can do it, and if you get caught it'll only cost $300. (Figures guesstimated; I'm too lazy to go look it up.) It TICKS me off that these new laws and fines apply only to VA residents.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Wooley wrote:
    'Cause if you live in VA, that'll get you a $2500 fine. Of course, if you live in MD you can do it, and if you get caught it'll only cost $300. (Figures guesstimated; I'm too lazy to go look it up.) It TICKS me off that these new laws and fines apply only to VA residents.
    Let me just say that all us LEOs feel the same way. It is not right to punish those more who actually live here. We have no idea why Virginia decided to screw its residents.

So those who live in MD and DC can do it knowing they will be charged far less.

It is total BS!

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Wooley wrote:
    Wow Tess, I didn't know that. I thought it applied to everyone. I wonder why it doesn't. It definitely isn't fair. Thanks for the info!!

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Wooley wrote:
    Tess, I assume you're talking about the latest and greatest Civil Remedial Fees?

Maybe someone who is more constitutional minded can comment on this. It would seem to me that this law would violate the privileges and immunities clause of the constitution. I understand the the P&I clause normally applies only to states not recognizing the rights of citizens from other states, and not to states screwing over their own citizens, but maybe it could apply here, somehow?

Either that or cruel and unusual punishment?
    In my book, Virginia has come one step closer to becoming a "Peoples Republic!" :what:

Post imported post

Mr. Y wrote
    For Ged's sake man, get something with more horsepower... That's redline in first gear for me... :PYou've got to have *something* faster than those porky chargers and LS1 camaros.

Any modern literbike will leave all of those in your rock spitting, asphalt scorching dust. The top ones are able to gain ground on MD's medevac chopper ...
    But what about when it rains, or you want to carry more than a toothbrush, or if you like the sound of something with more than a measly 160 HP?

Post imported post

TEX1N wrote:
    Tess, I assume you're talking about the latest and greatest Civil Remedial Fees?

Maybe someone who is more constitutional minded can comment on this. It would seem to me that this law would violate the privileges and immunities clause of the constitution. I understand the the P&I clause normally applies only to states not recognizing the rights of citizens from other states, and not to states screwing over their own citizens, but maybe it could apply here, somehow?

Either that or cruel and unusual punishment?
    In my book, Virginia has come one step closer to becoming a "Peoples Republic!" :what:
    You are correct... Civil Fees that the Judge cannot control and must collect.

I know a few LEOs that are going to stop charging people with those items that will require a civil fee unless they are out-of-state. There are alternate charges that can be used.

I, for one, will be charging Virginia license holders with those sparingly in the future.

State Researcher

Post imported post

AbNo, sounds like a positive experience, glad to hear everything went well after the firearms entered the situation, and kudos to the officers for acting responsibly.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    You are correct... Civil Fees that the Judge cannot control and must collect.

I know a few LEOs that are going to stop charging people with those items that will require a civil fee unless they are out-of-state. There are alternate charges that can be used.

I, for one, will be charging Virginia license holders with those sparingly in the future.
    I would also think that 3x fines = more people hiring lawyers = more court appearances per ticket per officer = fed up officers that stop writing "Civil Remedial Fee" tickets!

Not to mention the increased load put on prosecutors...can someone say plea bargain?

I know I'd rather give $1,000 to a traffic attorney than the greedy Commonwealth. Even if it is "for the roads!"

Post imported post

Ya.. somebody mentioned that too. People are going to get lawyers and your going to spend hours in court so the state can make more money.

Post imported post

But what about when it rains, or you want to carry more than a toothbrush, or if you like the sound of something with more than a measly 160 HP?
    I will not be deterred by rain. I've also got the > 160 hp covered. If you're talking RWHP, twice. Crank hp, 4 times. The last time I drag raced my 17 y.o. m/c at Budd's Creek, I rode a 1st gear wheelie, while spinning to a 10 second 1/4 mile.

Rain... not that big a deal.

Although, for foul weather, I believe that Unrequited has the correct answer.

LEO, just spread the word that non res = no warnings, no breaks. Then you guys will be able to "stick it to theMan"

Post imported post

Mr. Y wrote
    LEO, just spread the word that non res = no warnings, no breaks. Then you guys will be able to "stick it to theMan"
    As someone who drove here for about three years as a non-resident, while in the military, I can positively tell you that they already have "the word!" :X

Post imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
    Hey.. LEO needs to balance things out here I guess...

Still cannot figure out what the state decided not to "punish" those from out-of-state. I can only imagine they don't expect anyone drivers from other states to know the new civil fees exist.

Post imported post

That is bizarre to punish only in-staters. I wonder what the backstory is on this law...

Post imported post

We need to be bombarding our state legislators to get these stupid civil fines fixed!
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    We need to be bombarding our state legislators to get these stupid civil fines fixed!
    I had already intended on doing so, beginning today. This legislation is horrible.

Post imported post

Why are the civil fines stupid?

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    Why are the civil fines stupid?
    While I don't like the idea of taxing people in addition to fining them, for the same offense, what makes them stupid is they apply only to Virginia residents.

Not that anyone ever "needs" to be driving 20 miles over the limit, or driving without a license, or any of the offenses that would trigger a civil fine, but the idea that the fines only apply to Virginians is ludicrous.

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast