• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA State Trooper encounter last week...

AbNo

imported post

So, I was riding back from the Hite Hollow range with my buddy Shayne driving, and we were discussing the large number of cops on 81 that day (last Thursday).

I'm not really paying attention, but he looks at his rear view mirror, and says "Oh crap, this is probably for my tags."

Thankfully, the Trooper was pretty casual about everything.

"Hi, do you know why I stopped you? Yeah, that's right. So, where are you guys coming from?"

"We just got done at the range in Hite Hollow."

"Oh yeah, so you have guns in the car?"

"Yeah, two rifles, five handguns -- No, four -- Four? That's right, your Taurus is still in the shop! -- They are all unloaded of course."

"So they are all unloaded? All right."

Misc. chat for a minute about how Shayne realized his tags were expired after he saw the flashy blues, Trooper goes back to his car, leaves us sitting in his.

Another trooper pulls up behind the stopping officer, but never approaches us.

Stopper comes back, hands him a ticket, and even tells him to get his tagges renewed, and where to mail proof that he has to get the ticket waived.

Idle comments about the second Trooper that pulled up, and he tells us it's SOP to have backup if there's weapons around, which I think we can all agree makes sense.

All in all, for a first LEO encounter with firearms involved, it was a very good one.

LEO 229

imported post

It is the LEOs discretion if he wants backup. They do not know you and that your law abiding people. You admitted to having guns and it was not required. The law does not require a notification.

Ya... more often than not... Mail in proof you took care of the expired item immediately and the Judge will get it with the ticket. He or she can then decide to dismiss the charge as "Complied with law" or find you "guilty in absentia."

The Judges normally let you go. It is so minor anyway... They just want compliance with the law.

Wooley

imported post

Oh yeah, and my Trooper/driver didn't just get a text on his blackberry with a picture of the married woman he was ufcking and her family...

LEO 229

imported post

Wooley wrote:
So why can't I go 95mph down I-66? I mean, I'll just comply next time.;)

Cute.... :p You cannot undo the violation.

It only counts for non-moving violations. Sorry.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

So why can't I go 95mph down I-66
For Ged's sake man, get something with more horsepower... That's redline in first gear for me... :pYou've got to have *something* faster than those porky chargers and LS1 camaros.

Any modern literbike will leave all of those in your rock spitting, asphalt scorching dust. The top ones are able to gain ground on MD's medevac chopper ...

So you can go faster than 95mph IF you are willing to suffer the consequences of your actions. I believe that the FC judges draw a "line" at 90mph for jail time.

LEO 229

imported post

Wooley wrote:
I think I'll stick to non-moving violations until I get elected.

LEO, will you be my driver when I'm govenor of VA?
Sure.. but where the seat belt.. My last passenger got messed up when I rolled the car.

Wooley

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Wooley wrote:

Sure.. but where the seat belt.. My last passenger got messed up when I rolled the car.
Great. You'd rather drive me around in an SUV instead of citizen anyways...he'd want to ride on the back of a Harley with you!:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Wooley wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Wooley wrote:

Great. You'd rather drive me around in an SUV instead of citizen anyways...he'd want to ride on the back of a Harley with you!:lol:
HAAH.. Where is that 'ol scatter brain anyway? Been talking about him and he has not chimed in for a while now.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wooley wrote:
'Cause if you live in VA, that'll get you a $2500 fine. Of course, if you live in MD you can do it, and if you get caught it'll only cost $300. (Figures guesstimated; I'm too lazy to go look it up.) It TICKS me off that these new laws and fines apply only to VA residents.

LEO 229

imported post

Tess wrote:
Wooley wrote:
'Cause if you live in VA, that'll get you a $2500 fine. Of course, if you live in MD you can do it, and if you get caught it'll only cost $300. (Figures guesstimated; I'm too lazy to go look it up.) It TICKS me off that these new laws and fines apply only to VA residents.
Let me just say that all us LEOs feel the same way. It is not right to punish those more who actually live here. We have no idea why Virginia decided to screw its residents.

So those who live in MD and DC can do it knowing they will be charged far less.

It is total BS!

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tess wrote:
Wooley wrote:

Wow Tess, I didn't know that. I thought it applied to everyone. I wonder why it doesn't. It definitely isn't fair. Thanks for the info!!

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

TEX1N

imported post

Tess wrote:
Wooley wrote:
Tess, I assume you're talking about the latest and greatest Civil Remedial Fees?

Maybe someone who is more constitutional minded can comment on this. It would seem to me that this law would violate the privileges and immunities clause of the constitution. I understand the the P&I clause normally applies only to states not recognizing the rights of citizens from other states, and not to states screwing over their own citizens, but maybe it could apply here, somehow?

Either that or cruel and unusual punishment?
In my book, Virginia has come one step closer to becoming a "Peoples Republic!" :what:

ParaWarthog

imported post

Mr. Y wrote
For Ged's sake man, get something with more horsepower... That's redline in first gear for me... :pYou've got to have *something* faster than those porky chargers and LS1 camaros.

Any modern literbike will leave all of those in your rock spitting, asphalt scorching dust. The top ones are able to gain ground on MD's medevac chopper ...
But what about when it rains, or you want to carry more than a toothbrush, or if you like the sound of something with more than a measly 160 HP?

LEO 229

imported post

TEX1N wrote:

Tess, I assume you're talking about the latest and greatest Civil Remedial Fees?

Maybe someone who is more constitutional minded can comment on this. It would seem to me that this law would violate the privileges and immunities clause of the constitution. I understand the the P&I clause normally applies only to states not recognizing the rights of citizens from other states, and not to states screwing over their own citizens, but maybe it could apply here, somehow?

Either that or cruel and unusual punishment?
In my book, Virginia has come one step closer to becoming a "Peoples Republic!" :what:
You are correct... Civil Fees that the Judge cannot control and must collect.

I know a few LEOs that are going to stop charging people with those items that will require a civil fee unless they are out-of-state. There are alternate charges that can be used.

I, for one, will be charging Virginia license holders with those sparingly in the future.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo, sounds like a positive experience, glad to hear everything went well after the firearms entered the situation, and kudos to the officers for acting responsibly.