• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va State Parks

Tomahawk

imported post

Mike S. said VCDL is working on this, either legislatively or by getting DGIF to chenge their regs, but I haven't heard back in a while.

I tried to contact the board that writes the DGIF regs but they must have decided I don't deserve an answer...I need to find another way to contact someone in charge.

AbNo

imported post

Similar topic....

What about local parks?

There's one right by the quarry near where I live in Harrisonburg.

Actually, I think there's a Middle School behind it, as well.... What's the rule on getting close to a school on foot while OC'd?

And for H'burg parks.... Specifically Westover Park.

AbNo

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
City, County etc. parks are OK for OC.  Only State Parks require that you have a ccw and conceal.

I don't suppose you can site anything specific?

We're having this discussion in the BBQ thread, actually....

Especially the county parks part...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know City and County parks OC is okay. It's the regional parks I can't find any SPECIFIC reference for.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
I know City and County parks OC is okay. It's the regional parks I can't find any SPECIFIC reference for.

IMNAL - This is a tough one. No.Va Regional Park Authority was "born" from a 1950 act http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-5700. This doesn't tell us anything, really. It is a place to begin looking for info. I do not think that these "Regional Parks" are managed or operated by the state. It sounds like it is an agreement of contiguous municipalities to operate and fund these parks.

This paragraph, contained in the premption codehas some meaning to our needs...
"The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility."

Here's the full text.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

Tomahawk

imported post

Regional parks derive their authorityfromthe nearby counties and cities, as far as I know, and do not have the authority to ban guns, period. Mike S. and PVC agreed with me.

Occoquan Regional Park is run by the NVRPA and has illegal no guns signs on one of the hiking trails. I have sent communications telling them they need to remove the signs, and the answer I got back acknoweldged that my assertion of the preemption law was correct, but they are dragging their feet as usual.

Yesterday I OC'd there while riding my bike, and a park employee drove by in one of those little John Deere jobs and just waved to me. No helicopters this time.

I need to go back up that trail and see if the signs are gone, yet. Maybe tomorrow or the next day.

Tomahawk

imported post

If you mean taking them down on my own initiative, no. This may be construed as vandalism (the signs are public property), and besides, we want to make the authorities take them down. We pay them to do the right things with our parks. I'm not gonna hire a lawn mower guy and then pay him to sit on my porch and watch me mow the lawn, why would I do it with a smug, self-important park jerk?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So you can stack them in front of his ranger cabin and proceed to violate the "No Open Fires" rule? :)