• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silencer

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

You may also form a revocable living trust to own the NFA items as well as other items. They must be notarized(the trust) but that's it. Hypothetically, you would be both the grantor, and the trustee of your living trust.

Keep your trust paperwork with you.No prints, no pictures, no CLEO gyrations. FWIW, in FC this process adds 2-4 weeks. The Feds are running approximately 30 days from the time the check for the tax stamp is cashed to approval.

As LEO said, interstate travel requires a form 5320.20, available online, filled out in advance. Turnaround for these is 1-4 days. You can fax them inand they'll grant transport permission for up to a year.

LEO, any word yet on yours?

riegnman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
You CANNOT possess a Machine Gun, Sound Suppressor, Short Barrel Rifle or Shotgun unless you have paid the tax to the ATF! There are NFA weapons. "National Firearms Act"

It does not matter what the state code says about possession. You WILL go to jail for failing to pay the tax first! The ATF will lock you up.. not the state.

You buy it, dealer holds it.

Dealer fills out the form

You get prints and a photo taken

If you form a corporation... you can skip the CLEO signature and photo.

You submit the applicationto your local CLEO (In most places.. a designated Representative for the Sheriff will be responsible. Your dealer will know exactly who you need to contact)

They do a background on you just like for the CC permit and sign. 99.9% will sign.

You submit your signed app, prints cards, photo, and $200 check to BATF.

Wait 30 + days and they send back your app with a $200 tax stamp affixed to it. This document or a copy MUST travel with the NFA item at all times. You must provide it upon request.

If you want to take the NFA item out-of-state.... You have to submit a request to the AFT before you go. The signed form that is returned gives you permission to travel through states where the items are banned as long as you do not stop over for any extended period of time.
So basically what I'm hearing is that it turns out to be a money raquet? If you are clean and willing to pay the $200 for the "privilege" to own one, you can. If you are not clean, however, you can buy one but run the risk of going to jail. Which probably doesn't matter to you if your background check isn't clean and you want a fully automatic weapon. Does that sound about right? :)

LEO 229

imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
...snip

LEO, any word yet on yours?
Ihave had mine for almost two weeks. I is so purdy!!! :celebrate I got a good deal according to my local Class 3 Guy.

I made a color copy of the form and laminated it. Looks like the actual document.

LEO 229

imported post

riegnman wrote:
So basically what I'm hearing is that it turns out to be a money raquet? If you are clean and willing to pay the $200 for the "privilege" to own one, you can. If you are not clean, however, you can buy one but run the risk of going to jail. Which probably doesn't matter to you if your background check isn't clean and you want a fully automatic weapon. Does that sound about right? :)

Ya.. Tax, tax, tax...... Gotta pay the tax. But at least we can still own these NFA items. In May 1986 the gun control act kicked in, again. You cannot buy any machine guns made after the act was signed... You have to buy those registered before hand. Like mine. Very expensive.

You couldmake a sound suppressor but you will not be able to legally buy one from anyone. They are all registered with the ATF so the current owner wouldhavehis name attached to it.The penalty is heavy for unregistered possession!! People do get caught too.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

BTW, I took the original and State forms to Kinkos and color copied severalcopies and just keep spares everywhere - vehicle glove boxes, cases, etc. It's never happened to me, but a friend of mine brought paperwork for the wrong suppressor out once - coincidentally the one time he was asked for his papers...

LEO 229

imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
what did you get?
MP5-N (Navy Model)

Safe, Single, 3 Round Burst, Full Auto trigger group, threaded barrel, three lug sound suppressor, collapsible stock.

Brand New!!!!! No Marks or flaws!

Attachments

• MP5.jpg
    MP5.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 247

vt357

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Mr. Y wrote:
what did you get?
MP5-N (Navy Model)

Safe, Single, 3 Round Burst, Full Auto trigger group, threaded barrel, three lug sound suppressor, collapsible stock.

Brand New!!!!! No Marks or flaws!
So you are telling me that gun was just sitting in a box for 20 years before you bought it? How did the previous owner resist the temptation to play with such a cool toy?

LEO 229

imported post

vt357 wrote:
So you are telling me that gun was just sitting in a box for 20 years before you bought it? How did the previous owner resist the temptation to play with such a cool toy?

Yes! It is going to be a shame to go out and shoot it!

My dealer looked it over. He confirmed it was test fired only.

LEO 229

imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
I would like to buy a HK UMP 45. is it even passable ? and if so how do I fined a class 3 dealer ?, I live in Missouri and have tried google but no luck yet.
They made those in the late 90's so Nope.... You can never own one.

You can only buy what was made prior toxx May 1986??

I will PM you a link with place that has a TON-O-GUNS and prices.

riegnman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Conaso wrote:
You guys are missing one other point. It is legal to own and use a weapon with a sound suppressor, aka silencer,while complying with federal and state registration requirements. However,use of same for hunting may be illegal or restricted, e.g., allowable for animal control, forbidden for hunting squirrels, rabbits, etc.. Check VA game laws.
You can actually kill squirrels at anytime....

§ 29.1-516. Game animals.

The following provisions shall apply to the killing and hunting of the particular game animals listed:

Black bear. - Black bear may be killed by any person when (i) it is inflicting or attempting to inflict injury to a person, or (ii) when a person is in pursuit of the bear commenced immediately after the commission of such offense. Any person killing a bear under this provision shall immediately report the killing to a state game warden.

Deer. - It shall be unlawful for a person to kill or attempt to kill a deer in the water of any stream, lake or pond. It shall be unlawful to hunt deer with dogs in the counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Fox. - There shall be a continuous open season for hunting with dogs only. The hunting or pursuit of foxes shall mean the actual following of the dogs while in pursuit of a fox or foxes or managing the dog or dogs while the fox or foxes are being hunted or pursued. Foxes may be killed at any time by the owner or tenant of any land when such animals are doing damage to domestic stock or fowl.

Rabbits and squirrels. - It shall be unlawful to kill rabbits and squirrels during the closed season; however, the following persons may kill rabbits or squirrels for their own use during the closed season:

1. A landowner and members of his immediate family;

2. Resident members of hunt clubs who own the land in fee, either jointly or through a holding company;

3. Tenants residing on the premises, with the written permission of the landowner.

When such animals are committing substantial damage to fruit trees, gardens, crops, or other property, the owner of the premises may kill the animals or have them killed under a permit obtained from the game warden.

I was completely unaware of this. This is totally fantastic. I love rabbit and squirrel and my 9 year old could eat his weight in squirrel dumplings and we've been waiting until Oct if we run out before the season starts. The only problem is that when it's warm out, there is a greater risk of parasites. That's why we usually wait until Oct. Anyway, I wonder what other benefits I don't know about. . . I need to study up I guess.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
If the chief LEO refuses to sign, you can ask the BATFE for a list of others that would be acceptable......they will send you a list that includes judges, chief state police officer etc.....whomever is on the list must have jurisdiction in the area that you live.
NEVER, under any circumstances, "play around" with anything "NFA"....get legal first......even a shoestring can subject you to "10 years & $10,000".......... http://www.jpfo.org/shoestring.jpg
Never seen a shoesting in operation... Have any photos of the item?? :)
No pics....but I have seen a guy do it with an SKS....it actually "worked" better than I thought it could.
NOT a practical way of doing things though IMHO:)
BTW......sweet MP5....treat'er nice!

LEO 229

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
No pics....but I have seen a guy do it with an SKS....it actually "worked" better than I thought it could.
NOT a practical way of doing things though IMHO:)
BTW......sweet MP5....treat'er nice!

I understand the concept... Was hoping to see an actual demo.

Unreal that the ATF says a shoe string is a machine gun but I do understand. Can you imagine trying to register the shoestring with them?? :D

I will stick to the metal sears as is in my baby. I shall treat her good.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Unreal that the ATF says a shoe string is a machine gun but I do understand. Can you imagine trying to register the shoestring with them?? :D

Wonder how hard it would be to find a pre-86 shoestring....and prove it was pre-86?:)

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Sorry I don't like the words "never can", And I know you are probably rite, but there has to be somethingwe can do.

I take it this will be a federal thing, howdo we go about changing that law. and in this climate with changinggun laws all around the country, whatdo you think our chances are.

And would anyone like to help start a campaign to get this changed, I amnew to the political aspect of our country (better late then never) so I'm not sure of our fist steps, but am willing to do waits needed.

p.s I do vote!!