Thread: Positive OC encounter with fellow citizen

Post imported post

I subscribe to a local FreeCycle list and had recently posted a couple of items to "FreeCycle" to my fellow citizens. This evening, I had scheduled for someone to come by my house to pick an item up that they were interested in.

They backed their minivan into a nearby reserved parking spot close to my front walk. My son and I proceeded to load the mower into the back of the minivan. The lady, very inquisitively, asked if I was a cop to which I replied "Nope, I am just a regular guy who likes to carry for self-defense". She asked about whether a permit was required and I let her know that open carry was perfectly fine without a permit, but to conceal, one must be in good standing with the law and have a valid permit to do so.

She began to become even more inquisitive and had asked about carrying in vehicles, etc. It was at this time that the neighbor, whose reserved parking spot she had backed into, came out of his house. So, her, of course being respectful cut the conversation short and vacated the neighbor's reserved spot and left.

Not wanting to leave it at that, I felt it was a good opportunity to reply to one of the lady's emails wishing that she get good use out of the mower. I then went on to further explain a question that I had left her hanging on. In order to allow her to more in-depth research, I gave her the VCDL and OpenCarry.org URLs in the email so that she could further educate herself since circumstances didn't allow us to continue discussion.

Was a good experience and thought I'd share...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hey, that's excellent! I hope we see her here soon. Great work spreading the OC word!

Post imported post

Good job! Open carrying is providing a great way to educate the masses.

Post imported post

1 person at a time, that's the way it works!

Good job! :celebrate

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Good job! Open carrying is providing a great way to educate the masses.
    That reminds me -- check out this post: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/2908.html
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein