• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive OC encounter with fellow citizen

vrwmiller

imported post

I subscribe to a local FreeCycle list and had recently posted a couple of items to "FreeCycle" to my fellow citizens. This evening, I had scheduled for someone to come by my house to pick an item up that they were interested in.

They backed their minivan into a nearby reserved parking spot close to my front walk. My son and I proceeded to load the mower into the back of the minivan. The lady, very inquisitively, asked if I was a cop to which I replied "Nope, I am just a regular guy who likes to carry for self-defense". She asked about whether a permit was required and I let her know that open carry was perfectly fine without a permit, but to conceal, one must be in good standing with the law and have a valid permit to do so.

She began to become even more inquisitive and had asked about carrying in vehicles, etc. It was at this time that the neighbor, whose reserved parking spot she had backed into, came out of his house. So, her, of course being respectful cut the conversation short and vacated the neighbor's reserved spot and left.

Not wanting to leave it at that, I felt it was a good opportunity to reply to one of the lady's emails wishing that she get good use out of the mower. I then went on to further explain a question that I had left her hanging on. In order to allow her to more in-depth research, I gave her the VCDL and OpenCarry.org URLs in the email so that she could further educate herself since circumstances didn't allow us to continue discussion.

Was a good experience and thought I'd share...