• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Came across this website

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Interesting solution to firearms training with limited facilities. I wonder how much it works out to per round? I ask because I can use my greengas airsoft for training at a cost of about 1-2 cents a shot.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Since you're still expelling a round from the barrel,wouldn't thatstill legally be considered discharging the firearm?

Interesting but I don't like it. The recoil just isn't there... It would be fun to try, but I don't think it makes sense for serious practice/training.

"Train the way you'll fight" - Admiral Arleigh Burke

Legba

imported post

The Roman army used to train with armor and weapons which were twice as heavy as the actual combat issued stuff, so I would frown on air guns and ultra-light ammo loads as a substitute for live-fire training, personally. I do have a BB/pellet gun, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not the same as a .30-cal sniper job, to be sure.

-ljp

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Legba wrote:
The Roman army used to train with armor and weapons which were twice as heavy as the actual combat issued stuff, so I would frown on air guns and ultra-light ammo loads as a substitute for live-fire training, personally. I do have a BB/pellet gun, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not the same as a .30-cal sniper job, to be sure.

-ljp
Its not a substitute for live fire but its better than nothing. A lot better because I can practice at home, daily, and cheaply.

just_a_car

imported post

Wouldn't it be safer (and cheaper) to just handload a squib-round (i.e. no powder, just primer) with an aluminum bullet?

That tapered 9mm looks kind of suspicious to me.

sitedzn

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Wouldn't it be safer (and cheaper) to just handload a squib-round (i.e. no powder, just primer) with an aluminum bullet?

That tapered 9mm looks kind of suspicious to me.
not sure about the aluminum, but i can guarantee you (as i've had plenty of my share) that a primer can NOT propel a .45down a 5" barrel. goes about an inch, then you're banging it out with a hammer and rod. the spring rod works, but i hate having to use that when i'm unprepared with something better.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

To use this system, you have to replace your barrel with their special barrel and if you look at thecross section, the primer only pops the smaller slug about 2" down a much smaller barrel.

conversionHow.jpg

The ammo sizes they state is only the case size, all their aluminum projectilesare the same size.

ammunition3LG.jpg