• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not so much open carry

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

This question may not relate to open carry but I respect and admire the knowledge of the vast majority of folks on this board -- and I was hoping for a little advice.

I have read a lot of info, but maybe hearing in another way would help.

First off I am shooting a Smith and Wesson SW9VE 9mm with FMJ ammo.

I have been able to correct every problem with my aim expect vertically I can put the target at 7 yards and still manage to place the round more than 6-8 inches lower than where I am wanting to put it.

I do not have this problem with a .22 or 38 special at all, any advice guys?

casullshooter

imported post

If the rear sight is dovetailed in and can be changed , perhaps an adjustable sight could be fitted by a gunsmith . S & W tech. support could probably answer that question .

cREbralFIX

imported post

Are you trying to say you are vertically stringing your shots? Meaning...the group is vertically aligned on the paper?

Generally, this means one of several problems: 1) you are anticipating the recoil and moving the muzzle downward before the bullet exits the barrel, 2) you are pushing the barrel upwards before the bullet exits the barrel, or 3) you are not following through with the shot.

You can correct the first two by having a friend load your gun. Several of the rounds will be duds. When you shoot, if the gun suddenly moves as you pull the trigger, the exact nature of the problem will be revealed. Practice more and force yourself to keep the sights correctly aligned with the target as the hammer strikes the primer. It's just recoil; let it happen because you cannot do much about it anyway.

By follow through, I mean that each and every shot should have TWO sight pictures. The first is used to fire the shot. The second occurs immediately after recoil. Focus on the front sight and concentrate on seeing it TWICE. You should be able to remember a "snap shot photo" of the shot when the round discharged. Play a game with yourself and "call" the shot by "looking" at the snap shot. After awhile, you'll be able to guess exactly where the bullet struck the paper (assuming a black target where it's difficult to see the holes). If you do this, the problem should no longer exist.