• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freedom Center = No Individual Freedom

reefteach

imported post

When you visit Cincinnati for the Second Amendment Foundation Conference in October, be sure to not visit the "Freedom Center".

Here is a quote from the CEO regarding the no guns policy :

There is no doubt that personal liberty in most instances should always prevail. However, it is also true that in civil societies under certain circumstances citizens agree to give up certain personal liberties in order gain other rights and protections afforded them by society as a whole.
The Freedom Center's policy is in place to serve the greater good of making sure our visitors are protected from potential harm.
Find more here: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=11618

Here is the website for the "Freedom" center:

http://www.freedomcenter.org/

BTW- Anyone been to a SAf GRPC annual meeting before? Curious how many people attend.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

There is no doubt that personal liberty in most instances should always prevail. However, it is also true that in civil societies under certain circumstances citizens agree to give up certain personal liberties in order gain other rights and protections afforded them by society as a whole.
That has to be one of the dumbest things I have EVER heard.
Are these people FOR REAL? "Freedom Center" my arse. How ironic.

"The Freedom Center's policy is in place to serve the greater good of making sure our visitors are protected from potential harm."
I'll be asking them how we're supposed to be "protected" without our personal sidearms....

unrequited

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
That has to be one of the dumbest things I have EVER heard.
Are these people FOR REAL?  "Freedom Center" my arse. How ironic.
That is the textbook definition of ironic... as opposed to the colloquial Alanis Morissette definitoin...

If I'm there this September (whatever that weekend is) I'll stop by and raise a stink in person.

Does Ohio have any power of law concerning no OC/CC signs? (will I get in trouble for even walking through the front door to complain)

reefteach

imported post

Yep. Its a misdemeanor trespassing charge for ignoring the sign.
(3) The owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. A person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
As far as i know, nodody has ever been charged under this statute. Time for this law to go bye-bye.

unrequited

imported post

reefteach wrote:
Yep. Its a misdemeanor trespassing charge for ignoring the sign.
As far as i know, nodody has ever been charged under this statute. Time for this law to go bye-bye.
Thanks, just to make sure, I looked up your reference to see if it's been updated.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.21

I wouldn't fight the "knowingly violates" part because in 2911.21 it says negligent failure also counts for criminal tresspass, and well,I've already spoiled the knowlingly part by reading your first post hah. That's a shame.