• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PAopencarry.org

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I just launched a new site specifically for PA open carry information:
www.paopencarry.org

The purpose is as I posted on the front page:
paopencarry.org was founded to serve as a repository of information relating to the practice of openly carrying a firearm in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It is our hope that this web site will help educate Pennsylvania citizens, law enforcement and politicians on the laws pertaining to open carry as well as provide those interested with general information regarding open carry such as news articles, holster reviews and on the street reports (good and bad) of other citizen's experiences while openly carrying their firearms in Pennsylvania.

As of now there is not a lot of content. I am working on it.
I AM posting this here now to solicit ideas.

Example. I posted 20 Q&A questions on the Q&A page but am still working on the answers. I have my answers basically worked out in my head and am in the process of putting them down on paper. You'll notice a couple of the Q's have a little humor slant to them.
I would LOVE to hear everyones suggestions for these answers. As well as for anythinng site related.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Very cool PA Patriot.

I'm glad that opencarry.org is spawning state specific sites to tackle the unique challenges of some states (PA, with it's woeful training requirements of the cops on gun carrying by civilians). PAOpenCarry.org, Pacific Northwest Open Carry Group, etc etc.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Very cool PA Patriot.

I'm glad that opencarry.org is spawning state specific sites to tackle the unique challenges of some states (PA, with it's woeful training requirements of the cops on gun carrying by civilians). PAOpenCarry.org, Pacific Northwest Open Carry Group, etc etc.
I second that "very cool" and up the bid by a "very well done"!
I'd like to see a site like this for Alabamians as well and am in the process of collecting data "as we speak".....I think answers to most of your questions can be found right here on OCDO in some of the other threads.....best of luck!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Best wishes for success!

Could I suggest that you expand the scope just a bit to include concealed carry?

OC and CC are really just two sub-headings of the same topic:defensive carry. As opposed to say sporting carry (hunting).

I travel to PA to visit family from time to time and it would be nice to have a second source for quick access to up to date OC and CC statutes and case law.

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Could I suggest that you expand the scope just a bit to include concealed carry?

OC and CC are really just two sub-headings of the same topic:defensive carry. As opposed to say sporting carry (hunting).

While I see your point, it's much more clean-cut in terms of concealed carry. If you want to CC in PA, you need a PA permit or a permit from a reciprocal state. That's it, pretty much. And when you CC, you don't get treated as a criminal/terrorist/psychopath by the local LEOs and sheeple. You also don't have to worry about getting falsly arrested as long as you have that permit.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
it's much more clean-cut in terms of concealed carry. If you want to CC in PA, you need a PA permit or a permit from a reciprocal state. That's it, pretty much.
Not really - "any" state's CHP works to carry in vehicles, openly, or concealed, in PA.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks all, for the comments.

Citizen wrote:
...Could I suggest that you expand the scope just a bit to include concealed carry?

Good idea, to which I have thought about.

The way it is now I feel the primary need is for open carry info as CC info is oretty well available from sites like carry.org, etc.
Add to that the fact I have very little time to work on this project as it is :)
After I get the OC content in I will definately work on a CC section. One stop shopping :D:monkey

JSG

imported post

Glad to see I am not the only PA resident who prefers OC. I am new to Chester County, a refugee from the PRNJ. Just curious if you, or anyone else has any OC stories in PA since I have not seen anyone OC. I would love to but even though I know it's 100% legal, I m a bit apprehensive. Any advise/experiences would help. Thanks in advance.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Another uneventful morning OC'ing - Walked the Radnor trail with my wife and dog, stopped in Wawa for coffee - not even a sideways glance - I don't think people even noticed today

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
Another uneventful morning OC'ing - Walked the Radnor trail with my wife and dog, stopped in Wawa for coffee - not even a sideways glance - I don't think people even noticed today
Oh some folks likely noticed - and "uneventful" is exaclty what we want people to see - just 'nother citizen goin' 'bout his business.

WhiteFeather

imported post

:celebrateI applaud your attempt at edgucated! Knowledge unshared is no Knowledge at all!

Q&A is a great idea! Maybe a section on proper holsters for OC and techniques for being prepared and aware.

Also just a thought. Maybe a card sized fact sheet that you could print out and carry in your wallet for the LEO's to see if and when you get questioned about your rights. Something with just the facts and maybe website addresses.

And not a forum but a testimamoanial?(spelling:question:) Page for people who have OC'ed in their areas.

Just some thoughts.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
:celebrateI applaud your attempt at edgucated! Knowledge unshared is no Knowledge at all!

Q&A is a great idea! Maybe a section on proper holsters for OC and techniques for being prepared and aware.

Also just a thought. Maybe a card sized fact sheet that you could print out and carry in your wallet for the LEO's to see if and when you get questioned about your rights. Something with just the facts and maybe website addresses.

And not a forum but a testimamoanial?(spelling:question:) Page for people who have OC'ed in their areas.

Just some thoughts.
First, thanks for the comments and kind words.
Second, you have some great ideas.
After I finish the Q&A I will post some editorial type (my opinions) sections on holsters, where to get training, retention, etc.
The pocket card is a good idea too. I was thinking of modifying the Ohio Or Virginia "No guns = No $" to add to the site. Should be easy to make a card for statutes (maybe a folded type of double business card)

I really like the testimonials or stories page. I can put up a few, sorted by town and have a submission form on the page that people can submit their own. I will then just add them manually with the next update.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

preacher wrote:
PaPatriot,

Can I modify your flyer for use in Louisiana?

Absolutely.
Actually, it is BobCav's flyer... I modified it for PA :)

He, or myself can hook you up with the MS Publisher file so you can make your LA version.
Send me a PM w/your email and I'll get it to you post haste.

PS: It's about 155KB in size

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Guys, gals, I'm working on the Q@A section of the site tonight (as in right now)
I could use some input...
Are the questions OK?
Any suggestions for the answers would be GREATLY appreciated. I have my own answers in my head but I like to include other thoughts I might not have thought of...