• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun transportation in vehicles.

ctfade

imported post

Ive read some of the threads of transportation, and we actaully discussed this in the CCW course I recently took.

You can DEFINITELY store your gun in a map-pocket * side door pocket, behind seat pocket* without a CCW, I believe its actually a pretty new law.

Also most LEO's know the un-official two-step rule, which pretty much says you need to do two motions to retrieve your firearm. Such as in your glove box, and in its holster.

The two-step rule doesnt apply to blatantly exposed firearms, such as on the dashboard, nor does it apply to the map-pocket rule. So you can keep your handgun in a map-pocket un-holstered and dont need a CCW.

Also be aware, even if you have your CCW, and conceal it in your vehicle, make sure your using the two-step rule if your carrying a passenger without a CCW, the law applies to EVERYONE in the vehicle.

Of course if you have a CCW, you can do what you want with your firearm, just be careful of passengers.

I hope for some, this clarified some questions. Feel free to correct me.
The map-pocket law only applies to map-pockets, not the glove box. Dont take my word for it, look it up or ask a LEO.

Also My question, is I live about 1/2 mile away from a movie theatre, and usually walk there at night in the dark. Its kind of a creepy walk, mainly because its behind a canal, and you never know what is lurking in the dark. Is it legal for me to OC in a public theatre? Im not doing it because of the theatre, but for protection from the dark walk. Thanks

mzbk2l

imported post

ctfade, you need to pick up a copy of "The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide," by Alan Korwin. It's available at most gun shops, as well as online. Just make sure you get a current copy, as it's revised almost yearly - every time there are significant changes to AZ law.

It makes for some VERY interesting reading, and it will answer your questions about when and where you can carry without running afoul of the law. My copy is five or six years old, and I'll definitely be getting a new one when I get home.

If I remember right (and if I'm thinking of the right state), there is some prohibition against carrying in places that allow a lot of people (like over 2,500 or something). I don't know how many people the theater can accomodate, but you might want to do some reading to see if I am remembering correctly.

I would not be in the least surprised if the theater had a "no guns" policy, as well. Easy to ignore if you're carrying concealed, but since you're still waiting on that, you might be stuck for now.

ctfade

imported post

alright thats fine. Ill definitely pick up a copy of that book. They sold it at the gunstore I took the courses from.

I guess that also goes for hand grenades eh? :p

Oh well, ignorance is no excuse for the law, ill definitely look into it.

On another note, Im kinda nervous about OCing. Today my family and I took a trip up to sedona, and then stopped at this place near cottonwood, i forget the name of the place, but a hose for the antifreeze burst and the car was pretty much stranded. We called AAA, and got an ETA of about 2 hours. Anyways while I was there, I felt almost un-protected. What if a gang of people decides to harm myself or my family? Considering we dont really know the area, I wish I had my gun on me, for the "just incase"

The main reason was I didnt really know where we were going, and what the rules were, so I decided to leave it at home, locked up and safe of course.

What would you guys do in this situation? Im not a noob to guns, but to OC, coming from a liberal state "connecticut" is very awkward.

mzbk2l

imported post

ctfade wrote:
Today my family and I took a trip up to sedona, and then stopped at this place near cottonwood, i forget the name of the place, but a hose for the antifreeze burst and the car was pretty much stranded.

What would you guys do in this situation?
Well, now that you've moved to the desert, I would definitely get the car checked over. Hoses and belts (and tires and batteries) wear out a lot faster in 115* temps than they do in the temps you saw in CT. :)

As far as carrying... again - that's totally up to you. As long as I'm not leaving AZ, I usually at least have a gun with me during the trip. If I feel some need to lock it up, I put it in the trunk.

ctfade

imported post

yeah that sounds good.

I should definitely get my truck checked over... I have a feeling its next :p
I just gotta test out OCing first. Im just afraid that Ill have the gun in its holster, blatanly exposed, then The crowd is just gonna freak out. Im sure its not gonna happen, but coming from CT where guns are almost forbidden...its a big step :p

azcdlfred

imported post

ctfade wrote:
I just gotta test out OCing first.
You can open carry in a very gun friendly environment tomorrow, June 30, 2007. AzCDL is having their annual meeting in Phoenix:
http://www.azcdl.org/html/annual_mtg.html

Open carry is expected! We have about 150-200 attendees exptected. Don't worry about reservations. We ordered extra meals. Pay at the door. If you join AzCDL the meal is FREE!

Fred

mzbk2l

imported post

Fred, I wish I was going to be in town, I'd definitely join you. You guys are doing a lot of good, and I appreciate the alerts you put out. I nearly always write to my legislators when you point out an issue that should be brought to their attention.

I hope you have a great meeting, and maybe next year I'll be in town for it.

Axman

imported post

Just a cut and paste from the A.R.S. 13.3102

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person; or

2. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 concealed within immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation; or

Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster which holster is wholly or partially visible, or carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons which scabbard or case is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation