Thread: MD Adds Another Form

Post imported post

I just received a letter and a form in the mail from MSP. It is informing me that beginning August 1st, when I submit a 77R-1 and 2 to MSP for processing for a customer to get a gun, they also have to fill out 77R-3 (new one). It is labled "Authorization for Release of Information to Purchase a Regulated Firearm". It is a form that authorizes the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or dept. of another state to disclose to MSP information limited to whether you suffer from a mental disorder.

Just thought I'd give anyone in MD or anyone watching what goes on it this state a heads up.

Post imported post

No, this new bill put together by McCarthy and the NRA wont have any effect on law abiding citizens. HOGWASH!!!!!

So no you have to give up private medical information to the Maryland State Police.

When will the madness end. :X

Post imported post

Meathook wrote:
    When will the madness end. :X
    When we all take a collection and buy a private island and move away is my guess.

Post imported post

Super Moderator

Post imported post

I wonder if signing the form is required as a matter of MD law, or, if this is a bogus requirement put out by the MD State Police?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    I wonder if signing the form is required as a matter of MD law, or, if this is a bogus requirement put out by the MD State Police?
    My thoughts exactly. Why do they need your additional "authorization" to release medical and/or mental information? If it was already required by law, there would be no additional need for your consent to its release.

Something smells fishy.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. (Because that is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--for each other and everybody else--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.)

Equality and consent of the governed: We're all equal. How can another legitimately govern me without my express consent?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Conundrum wrote:
    I just received a letter and a form in the mail from MSP. It is informing me that beginning August 1st, when I submit a 77R-1 and 2 to MSP for processing for a customer to get a gun, they also have to fill out 77R-3 (new one). It is labled "Authorization for Release of Information to Purchase a Regulated Firearm". It is a form that authorizes the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or dept. of another state to disclose to MSP information limited to whether you suffer from a mental disorder.

Just thought I'd give anyone in MD or anyone watching what goes on it this state a heads up.

I don't suffer from insanity...I ENJOY IT!! :celebrate

Post imported post

Citizen..., Good to see you back. Haven't seen your posts for awhile

Post imported post

I guess I should add. In the letter I got from MSP explaining the new form, it states, "If the MSP Form 77R-3 is not submitted with the application it will not be processed and the application will be administratively disapproved".

Looks like we are at their mercey.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    I follow any and all gun-related bills (pro or anti) in Maryland very closely and I heard about this form only this week on another forum. I'm 99.9% that I would have heard about a gun-related bill that actually made it outof committee and to the floor for a vote in the State House that would involve something even more restrictive towards the purchasing of regulated firearms than we already have here.

Is this form required for “Maryland regulated firearms” only, or does it include other firearms (not on the MD list of “nasty andscary” firearms) such as shotguns and hunting rifles.

I’m gonna do some digging with some folks that are more in the know than I in regards to what’s happening with all this…

Post imported post

I called a local gun shop this afternoon to inquire about pricing a new SA XD. After a short conversation, I asked if they had the new forms yet. He said they had already received copies...Wanna buy a regulated firearm in MD now? Get ready to sign over your privacy rights to the State...when did this law pass? Oh that's right, it's not a law, just someone's "great" idea to keep guns out of crazy folks.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    My thoughts exactly. Why do they need your additional "authorization" to release medical and/or mental information? If it was already required by law, there would be no additional need for your consent to its release.

Something smells fishy.

perhaps an attorney specializing in firearms laws ought to be brought in for his evaluation