• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MD Adds Another Form

Conundrum

imported post

I just received a letter and a form in the mail from MSP. It is informing me that beginning August 1st, when I submit a 77R-1 and 2 to MSP for processing for a customer to get a gun, they also have to fill out 77R-3 (new one). It is labled "Authorization for Release of Information to Purchase a Regulated Firearm". It is a form that authorizes the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or dept. of another state to disclose to MSP information limited to whether you suffer from a mental disorder.

Just thought I'd give anyone in MD or anyone watching what goes on it this state a heads up.

Meathook

imported post

No, this new bill put together by McCarthy and the NRA wont have any effect on law abiding citizens. HOGWASH!!!!!:banghead:

So no you have to give up private medical information to the Maryland State Police.

When will the madness end. :X

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
I wonder if signing the form is required as a matter of MD law, or, if this is a bogus requirement put out by the MD State Police?
My thoughts exactly. Why do they need your additional "authorization" to release medical and/or mental information? If it was already required by law, there would be no additional need for your consent to its release.

Something smells fishy.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Conundrum wrote:
I just received a letter and a form in the mail from MSP. It is informing me that beginning August 1st, when I submit a 77R-1 and 2 to MSP for processing for a customer to get a gun, they also have to fill out 77R-3 (new one). It is labled "Authorization for Release of Information to Purchase a Regulated Firearm". It is a form that authorizes the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or dept. of another state to disclose to MSP information limited to whether you suffer from a mental disorder.

Just thought I'd give anyone in MD or anyone watching what goes on it this state a heads up.
I don't suffer from insanity...I ENJOY IT!! :celebrate

Conundrum

imported post

I guess I should add. In the letter I got from MSP explaining the new form, it states, "If the MSP Form 77R-3 is not submitted with the application it will not be processed and the application will be administratively disapproved".

Looks like we are at their mercey.

echo6tango

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Mike wrote:
I wonder if signing the form is required as a matter of MD law, or, if this is a bogus requirement put out by the MD State Police?
I follow any and all gun-related bills (pro or anti) in Maryland very closely and I heard about this form only this week on another forum. I'm 99.9% that I would have heard about a gun-related bill that actually made it outof committee and to the floor for a vote in the State House that would involve something even more restrictive towards the purchasing of regulated firearms than we already have here.

Is this form required for “Maryland regulated firearms” only, or does it include other firearms (not on the MD list of “nasty andscary” firearms) such as shotguns and hunting rifles.

I’m gonna do some digging with some folks that are more in the know than I in regards to what’s happening with all this…

echo6tango

imported post

I called a local gun shop this afternoon to inquire about pricing a new SA XD. After a short conversation, I asked if they had the new forms yet. He said they had already received copies...Wanna buy a regulated firearm in MD now? Get ready to sign over your privacy rights to the State...when did this law pass? Oh that's right, it's not a law, just someone's "great" idea to keep guns out of crazy folks.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Mike wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Why do they need your additional "authorization" to release medical and/or mental information? If it was already required by law, there would be no additional need for your consent to its release.

Something smells fishy.
perhaps an attorney specializing in firearms laws ought to be brought in for his evaluation