• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Alabama (Auburn)

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Alright, I found the AG opinion about a qualified license:

1981-44:

"As Sheriff you may also issue a qualified pistol permit. You may limit the permit to a particular pistol or pistols by including the serial numbers of those weapons on the permit. You may also limit when or where a person may have a pistol in his possession"
There's a court case somewhere, since this AGO IIRC, that states that a sherrif MAY NOT require serial numbers....can't seem to locate it.....it ruled that the PL was to the person, not the pistol.
"Penalty flag" on this one.......see 11-45-1.1....The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature
Also see 11-80-11....
No county or municipal corporation, instrumentality, or political subdivision thereof, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.
Now, I don't know how well this holds up tbh. Since a pistol permit is only for concealed pistols and carrying in vehicles, how the Sheriff can say where you can have a pistol, concealed or unconcealed, makes no sense. Also, I don't see where the "one pistol only thing" mentioned earlier in the opinion.

All in all it sounds rather fishy....
Again, have a look at the code sections above
I agree with you 100%...I think it would be hard to convict someone for having more than one pistol in his vehicle....what if he were going to/coming from a match of some sort?....I never make a "range trip" without at least 2-3 pistols and 2-3 rifles
Sorry I "pooched" this up...hope sense can be made from it

tekwiz

imported post

I agree, kurt. The AG was wrong on that highlighted issue.

The good thing about AG opinions: They are not binding nor are they even allowed to be presented in a court argument as an AG opinion (ie. An attorney could use the same argument but couldn't reference that the AG made the same argument -- courts have ruled this gives undue influence to the words for a jury).

They are simply legal reasonings by the attorney for the State to support the State's position. This means that the AG is going to put the State's position in his opinion, not necessarily the one that a Judge or a Jury would hold.

Btw, anybody heard the latest on the City of Tuscaloose issuing their policy against city employees carrying firearms on the job? (against AG opinion 2001-267)

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

tekwiz wrote:
Btw, anybody heard the latest on the City of Tuscaloose issuing their policy against city employees carrying firearms on the job? (against AG opinion 2001-267)
I haven't heard anything new from it.....another story of sheeple obeying the wolves.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Yes, I know AG opinions are just opinions and can't be used in court as such. The arguments contained in the opinion, however, can be useful.

In terms of convincing a Sheriff of what he is doing wrong, an AGO could be persuasive.

Kingfish

imported post

Thought of another one...

8) Are there any good trainers in the area. My wife would like to get some basic handgun self defence training (she shoots fine but wants something more) and I would like an intermediate course of some type.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kingfish wrote:

8) Are there any good trainers in the area. My wife would like to get some basic handgun self defence training (she shoots fine but wants something more) and I would like an intermediate course of some type.
NRA type courses are taught all over the place...I'm sure that there are "higher level" type courses available too.

http://local.yahoo.com/results?fr=dd-local-more&stx=pistol+training&csz=Auburn,+AL

http://www.huntingnavigator.com/albsr.htm

hope these may be of use......

Kingfish

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
kingfish wrote:

NRA type courses are taught all over the place...I'm sure that there are "higher level" type courses available too.

http://local.yahoo.com/results?fr=dd-local-more&stx=pistol+training&csz=Auburn%2C+AL

Right, I can use the yellow pages myself. Was wondering if anyone had any personal recomendations for trainers.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kingfish wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
kingfish wrote:

http://local.yahoo.com/results?fr=dd-local-more&stx=pistol+training&csz=Auburn%2C+AL

Right, I can use the yellow pages myself. Was wondering if anyone had any personal recomendations for trainers.
Well, excuuuuse me for trying to help.....sorry I wasted your time.....and mine

Kingfish

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
kingfish wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
kingfish wrote:

Really dude. No malice intended as all. Apologies if I offended.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kingfish wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
kingfish wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
kingfish wrote:

Really dude. No malice intended as all. Apologies if I offended.
No worries kingfish......I'll still let you move to Bama:D.......I was just "pickin' back"

ParaWarthog

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
I would like to know about this shooting range at the state park. I thought firearms weren't allowed in state parks....
What are you referring to? I wasn't aware of any shooting ranges in state parks, and firearms ARE banned in AL state parks. If there is actually a shooting range in a state park, it would be a great opportunity to get this stupid ban removed.

kurtmax_0

imported post

tekwiz said:

"2) I don't know of any indoor ranges in Lee county at all. However, my friend and I regularly go to Chewacla State Park (15-20 min. from the University) and we practice draw/fire drill, and when it's safe (ie. we're the only one's there) we move forward and do some tactical drills. A day pass is $3, an annual pass is $30 (I will be getting an annual next week)."

He probably means somewhere near the park....

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
I would like to know about this shooting range at the state park. I thought firearms weren't allowed in state parks....
What are you referring to? I wasn't aware of any shooting ranges in state parks, and firearms ARE banned in AL state parks. If there is actually a shooting range in a state park, it would be a great opportunity to get this stupid ban removed.
It's a shooting range in Tuskegee National Forest....not a State Park.

ParaWarthog

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
It's a shooting range in Tuskegee National Forest....not a State Park.
Yea, that's what he's talking about based on those permit fees. And I can tell you how to get there / where to get a permit if you want. I used to go there when I was at Auburn, and it's a decent 100 yard range. There are a lot of IDIOTS who don't know the difference between gun safety and an accidental discharge that you have to watch out for, though.

We had a guy once walk down range WITHOUT ANNOUNCING IT TO ANYBODY while everybody was still shooting. Needless to say, he got an earful from everybody out there.

Be safe.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Alright. That makes more sense. My mind was going in loops wondering how a shooting range could be in a 'gun free zone'. The Tuskegee National Forest page sure doesn't say anything about a range..... I had to find info on 3rd party sites. It looks decent from youtube, except everybody in the videos has terrible firearm handling skills.

Hopefully I can find a time to go when nobody is there. I'm guessing most people go on the weekends.

ParaWarthog

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
except everybody in the videos has terrible firearm handling skills.

Hopefully I can find a time to go when nobody is there. I'm guessing most people go on the weekends.
Yea, you have to be VERY careful, because there are a lot of unsafe people out there.

It is extremely busy on the weekends, and on weekdays during hunting season (remember students can come at any time during the week, and they do). You should be good to go during the week, ESPECIALLY if you can go early.

I would recommend finding how to get there from somebody who has been there, or from the forest ranger, because YOU DO NOT want to end up in the city of Tuskeegee.

macgulley

imported post

kingfish wrote:
ParaWarthog wrote
YOU DO NOT want to end up in the city of Tuskeegee.

Why is that?

Tuskegee isn't so bad. I worked at the University for over three years and never had so much as a harsh word spoken to me.
Do go to the ranger station and pick up a map to the range, you don't want to spend the day driving around on all the dirt roads in the park and never get to shoot. The permit is only $3 per day or $30 per year. Once you know how to get there, you could buy daily permits at either the Y-Grocery or the Torch which are both open sometimes when the ranger station isn't and may be more convenient depending on where you are coming from.
Although I have been to the range alone in the past, I'd recommend taking a friend or two. As I said, I've never had a problem but there have been bodies found near the range and other areas of the forest and you wouldn't want to stumble across someone doing something they shouldn't without some extra back-up.
The range is pretty nice, 100 yards, recently covered firing line with benches and an outhouse. They have logs stacked at 25, 50 and 100 yds to hold targets. Some days it gets pretty crowded (like just before hunting season). You will likely run into some folks who are unaware of range etiquette but the ones I have met were willing to observe the rules when instructed. Be careful and have fun.

Kingfish

imported post

macgulley wrote:
but there have been bodies found near the range and other areas of the forest and you wouldn't want to stumble across someone doing something they shouldn't without some extra back-up.

Does the wife packing a 38sp with hydra-shoks count?