• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spiderman robs pharmacy

Tomahawk

imported post

Ran across this on the Fairfax Underground site. Looks like the webslinger needed a fix, and was probably faking a weapon.

[align=center]Masked Man Robs Burke Pharmacy
A man wearing a red Spider Man mask entered the Giant Store at 9550 Burke Road and announced a robbery. This occurred on Monday, June 25 around 3 p.m. The suspect proceeded to the rear of the store to the pharmacy, waited for one pharmacist to leave then sneaked behind the counter. He implied a weapon and ordered the second pharmacist, a 39-year-old Clifton woman, to give him oxycontin. The victim opened the safe and the suspect grabbed an undisclosed amount of pills. The suspect fled on foot, still donning the Spider Man mask. There were no injuries. [/align]
The suspect was described as being about 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed about 180 pounds. He wore a blue sweat shirt and blue shorts.

Anyone with information is asked to call Fairfax County Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477 or Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

062607spiderman1.jpg
062607spiderman2.jpg

Since the "what would you do if you were there" discussions always seem to be lively, I thought this one was pretty funny. But poor M.J.'s not gonna be happy...

LEO 229

imported post

He has tarnished the Web Slinger's name! For shame!

Well, it is a felony to wear a mask in public in this situation. So you do have the felony charge.

You can assume he committed a crime while wearing the mast but.... you will not know for sure unless the employee says something.

I say follow and report. Use of a firearm may not be justified unless you have all the facts and he actually produced a gun.

Keeping in mind.. he did commit a robbery of medication.. He has two felony charges nowbut none involve harming another person...

rabbit994

imported post

I was a joke, sense of humor people, sense of humor.

Have Monkey and bananas to feed said monkey.

:monkey:celebrate:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:celebrate

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Well, it is a felony to wear a mask in public in this situation. So you do have the felony charge.

You can assume he committed a crime while wearing the mast but.... you will not know for sure unless the employee says something.

I say follow and report. Use of a firearm may not be justified unless you have all the facts and he actually produced a gun.

Keeping in mind.. he did commit a robbery of medication.. He has two felony charges nowbut none involve harming another person...

In the State of Utah...

Utah Code Section 76-2-402

[size=-1]76-2-402. Force in defense of person -- Forcible felony defined. (1) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the...[/size]

---------------------------------------------------

It doesn't stated that it has to be Armed or other wise during a robbery???

It's considered a Forcible Felony and I can use the "shooter".

If I'm wrong Please tell me

psmartin

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

If the guys TELLS YOU he has a gun, why do you have to wait for him to pull it out to take action? After all.. It is a robbery..

Our store is unlikely to be robbed because we have a police car parked out front most of the time w/ a "real live cop", but if Spiderman showed up wanting OXYCO's and told me he had a gun.. I would either piss on myself or empty the magazine in his C.O.M. at the first available opportunity if the threat was still present..

My thought is: If he's already committed a handful of felonies, why give him to opportunity to kill me on the way out?

LEO 229

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
In the State of Utah...

Utah Code Section 76-2-402

[size=-1]76-2-402. Force in defense of person -- Forcible felony defined. (1) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the...[/size]

---------------------------------------------------

It doesn't stated that it has to be Armed or other wise during a robbery???

It's considered a Forcible Felony and I can use the "shooter".

If I'm wrong Please tell me

I like how they have spelled it all out. But is does not say you can shoot anyone. It says you can use the level of force necessary to defend yourself or another.

So before you can shoot someone... that person would have to be capable of and ready to kill you or another.

Shooting someone for punching another is not justified. Someone about to swing a baseball bat at the head of another would be.

(1) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that force is necessary to defend himself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force.

However, that person is justified in using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if he or she reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to himself or a third person as a result of the other's imminent use of unlawful force, or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

LEO 229

imported post

psmartin wrote:
If the guys TELLS YOU he has a gun, why do you have to wait for him to pull it out to take action? After all.. It is a robbery..

Our store is unlikely to be robbed because we have a police car parked out front most of the time w/ a "real live cop", but if Spiderman showed up wanting OXYCO's and told me he had a gun.. I would either piss on myself or empty the magazine in his C.O.M. at the first available opportunity if the threat was still present..

My thought is: If he's already committed a handful of felonies, why give him to opportunity to kill me on the way out?

How about this... He walks up to your face and tells you "I'm going to kill you" and his hands are empty"... and you shoot him in the head and find out he is unarmed.

Guess who is in big trouble!!! The only guy alive is now going to be judged by 12.

Even witha threat only.. the person would still have to prove he had the means to follow thruough. Once you see a gun and you hear his threat.. you have someone on your side.

In the case of the security guard shootingthe guy with the knife...The knifesubject had the means to kill the other guy and failed to stop his actions once commanded to do so. The shooting was good.

Now what if the guys fighting had no weapons but one told the other "I'm going to kill you!"....? Would you kill him?

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Now what if the guys fighting had no weapons but one told the other "I'm going to kill you!"....? Would you kill him?
What if he's much bigger than you? At what point does the other guy's size, strength, or skill at hand-to-hand combat constitute a deadly threat? Are you required to take a vicious beating because your only real defensive option was to use a firearm?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
What if he's much bigger than you? At what point does the other guy's size, strength, or skill at hand-to-hand combat constitute a deadly threat? Are you required to take a vicious beating because your only real defensive option was to use a firearm?
Shooting an unarmed person is a bad strategy.

It should be avoided if at all possible. If the guy is bigger than you and you are afraid, try running away. Yelling for help is usually a good idea.

I would say that if a man is really unarmed and you know it, as a general rule you should retreat. Run like hell. Even taking a punch or two if better than pulling out the gun.

Most able bodied men, won't have to take "a vicious beating" because it just won't happen to them. All you have to do is be prepared at least a little to go hand to hand. This is, of course, in dealing with an unarmed man, not an armed man.

People who go to the gun first when hand to hand (or retreat) is really all that is requiredprobably regret it.

This "your only real defensive option was to use a firearm" idea with regard to unarmed assailants is a constraint that people just make up. The reality is that there are almost always other options to the gun. So prepare for them. It's not hard to do.

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:

It should be avoided if at all possible. If the guy is bigger than you and you are afraid, try running away. Yelling for help is usually a good idea.

I would say that if a man is really unarmed and you know it, as a general rule you should retreat. Run like hell. Even taking a punch or two if better than pulling out the gun.

Most able bodied men, won't have to take "a vicious beating" because it just won't happen to them. All you have to do is be prepared at least a little to go hand to hand. This is, of course, in dealing with an unarmed man, not an armed man.

People who go to the gun first when hand to hand (or retreat) is really all that is requiredprobably regret it.

This "your only real defensive option was to use a firearm" idea with regard to unarmed assailants is a constraint that people just make up. The reality is that there are almost always other options to the gun. So prepare for them. It's not hard to do.

Obviously, I agree.

I have said many of these same points in another thread.

Back in the day.. Shooting a fleeing Felon was OK. But now-a-days... even a criminal that is now a wanted felon is innocent until proven guilty and should not be shot.

Society has complained so often on the "abuse of power" that many things that were permitted are no longer condoned. Not saying some things were notout of line... but society is tying the hands of the police making it harder to keep them safe. (Those that do not carry a gun to provide their own protection)

But... as a LEO... you work within the scope of your authority and do what the law allows. You should see the looks on some peoples faces when they demand or expect a certain action and they are told.. "I'm sorry... there is nothing I can do about it." ;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

This has been VERY insiteful to me LEO and will take further thought how to act in different scenarios so that I will NOT get into any trouble being TRIGGER HAPPY:celebrateand all.

It's ALWAYS fun and VERY helpful with EVERYTHING that you do share.

Thank you.

"with Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

rabbit994

imported post

There is something call disparity of force. I'm sure the court would look at it differently if you were older person in a wheelchair compared to say me a young man of 24 in decent shape.

LEO 229

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
This has been VERY insiteful to me LEO and will take further thought how to act in different scenarios so that I will NOT get into any trouble being TRIGGER HAPPY:celebrateand all.

It's ALWAYS fun and VERY helpful with EVERYTHING that you do share.

Thank you.

"with Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

We all talk about "what is scenarios" LEOs do this all the time when they drive down the road or stand in line. It is great mental training.

If you have toreact to an event.... you do not want any delaybefore taking action.

Your also very welcome... Happy to be here and able to help.

1600 Pennsylvania Ave :quirky

LEO 229

imported post

I give you... Peter Parker!!

A man believed to be the Spider Man suspect was arrested early this morning, on Thursday, June 28 around 2 a.m. During the initial investigation, police had a description of a possible vehicle used in the robbery. After receiving a tip from a concerned citizen, the vehicle was located and a traffic stop was made at Burke Centre Parkway and Burke Lake Road.

Dave Edward Wolfe, Jr., 25, of 9775 High Water Court in Burke, was arrested and charged with robbery. He was taken to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

Attachments

• 062807,robbery,wolfe.jpg
    062807,robbery,wolfe.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 136