• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Many NRA Members "Confused" by Proposed Gun Bill

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Feature-Article.htm?InfoNo=020494

The swift passage of a gun-ban bill in the U.S. House, without committee hearings, floor debate or a recorded vote and possibly without even a quorum present, has NRA members nationwide asking what happened.

In a nationally released memo addressing the confusion, the NRA said this is "nothing unusual," further confusing their members.

Swiftly adopting a gun-control measure on a voice vote has not occurred in at least fifteen years, if ever, according to Bloomfield Press, the largest publisher of gun-law books in the country. http://www.gunlaws.com

The NRA, long considered a feared and powerful gun-rights lobby, allied itself with the most ardent anti-gun-rights forces in the House to quickly push through a bill that would massively increase the NICS Index -- the database of people who cannot pass an FBI background check for purchase of a firearm.

Psychiatrists and doctors would have an increased role in determining who gets on or off the list. The medical community has in the past exhibited pronounced anti-gun behaviors, bordering in some cases on hoplophobia, a morbid fear of weapons of any kind.

The action was taken during the morning "Suspension Calendar," normally reserved for "non-controversial" bills. Its use to slip through an expansion of gun control is highly irregular, with no similar action known in the past. The bill is HR 2640, "The NICS Improvement Act," posted here: http://www.gunlaws.com/DHSinNICS.htm

No one knows how many of the 21 million records Congress seeks will truly identify Americans who lack the legal right to have a firearm. The effect on guns already owned by people in the 21 million records seems clear -- they would be subject to confiscation. At least, a transfer of ownership seems a likely requirement if the law is enacted and those people's names are poured into the list. There are no plans to notify these people.

An error rate of just one-tenth of one percent (very low for government work) would mean that 21,000 Americans will have their rights unjustly denied if the bill becomes law. These people will then be forced to line up and go through an arduous, time-consuming, complex and expensive process to prove their innocence. The government is not required to cooperate, though the law does provide a framework for getting rights restored, at NRA's insistence. (The bill says agencies "shall" act to keep records accurate, but nothing happens if they don't; no time frames for corrections are specified.)

News reports have shed no light on the accuracy or validity of the impending additions, or any preparations to handle a flood of appeals. An error rate of 1% would equal 2.1 million false "guilty" verdicts.

The existing list of criminals, illegal aliens and other "prohibited possessors" is 3,960,981 after 11 years of careful development (as of Dec. 31, 2005). Under the proposed law, at one fell swoop, it will grow to five times its current size. More than ten percent of American adults would be barred from exercising the fundamental civil right to arms. The NRA points out that Americans who have the right medical disabilities do belong on the list.

"It's scary, when both the main defender of this civil right and the enemies of that right combine and work to deny rights to so many people at once," said an insider who prefers to remain anonymous. "Are the records accurate? Can people unjustly accused swiftly restore their rights and reclaim their place in society? Shouldn't we check the validity before we summarily add so many people to the list, and not just add them and let the innocent suffer? Why are the NRA and anti-gun Democrats trying to move so fast?" Carefully checking 21 million people's records would of course slow down the process, and delay entering all the names.

Emails, blogs and chat rooms are filled with such questions, even as mainstream news reports praise "the first significant gun-control legislation in a decade," ignoring a dozen gun bills Congress has passed in the last ten years. Despite the jubilant mainstream headlines, the NRA memo says this is "NOT GUN CONTROL!" (emphasis theirs). After reading the bill, it certainly seems accurate to call it gun control, a term now used almost exclusively to refer to gun bans of one sort or another. I

n a related but unreported development, experts note that the expanded NICS system, if combined with information from the Real ID Act, could provide a centralized federal monitoring facility for the entire population, under the guise of crime control. Privacy advocates have expressed concern over the possibility, though many officials see this as a good thing.

The Brady law, ostensibly to control handgun sales, initiated the entire project in 1993, at a cost of $250 million, plus subsequent allocations. The new bill adds $375 million per year for the next three years. In a 1998 surprise, the Brady Handgun law was automatically expanded to include all firearms, not just handguns.

The new law has many built-in protective requirements, and methods of appeal for those wrongly accused, but provides no punishment of government agents who fail to comply or to keep records accurately, placing the effectiveness of those safeguards in doubt. The Justice Dept. is supposed to give Congress a list of all the agencies that are not complying, once a year. In an odd requirement of unknown usefulness, various mental health institutions and providers are given power to certify former mental cases as now qualified to have guns.

In the past, federal and state officials have been known to stonewall, delay, deceive and claim impotence when confronted with requests to have rights restored to the innocent, or to the reformed. Congress has refused to fund such reviews, which are required by law, since 1992, effectively eliminating a person's chance for due process.

In a copyrighted story on 6/21/07, WorldNetDaily said:

"Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., announcing a provision to allow doctors to ban people from owning guns... The plan allows names to be entered into the NICS system based solely on a physician's diagnosis or prescription of a medication: adults who have taken Ritalin and soldiers with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder would be classified as mentally ill and given the same opportunity to own firearms as convicted felons: None." Simple diagnosis or medical prescription does not appear to be in the bill as grounds for a ban. Ritalin and PTSD are not listed at the present time, though critics of the measure are concerned that such things could change. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/

Gun Owners of America Executive Director Larry Pratt called the scheme, "conviction by diagnosis," which is true in cases where a person is officially deemed dangerous and other conditions are met. GOA is a national gun rights group opposing the measure. Pratt points out that many people will be taken by surprise when they try to buy a firearm and learn they have been unknowingly lumped into a category with murderers, rapists and illegal aliens. http://www.gunowners.org
A simple question for the NRA apologists here on OpenCarry.org, does the NRA act to expand open carry?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

BobCav wrote:
...what is the current diagnosis for the state of our nation?
ISTR that 'doctor shopping' for agreeable diagnoses is a crime, for some anyway. I imagine Doctor Nasty, RA would make a very different diagnosis and prescription than one less in tune with 'the powers that be.'

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

1st freedom

imported post

In paragraph # 7 Mr. Pratt said "There are no plans to notify these people."
Persons would first be court ordered to a phyic evaluation, found to be a danger to self or others then back to court
before a judge to be pronounced a danger, prior to showing up in the NICS.

In paragraph # 18 Mr. Pratt states that peopleThe plan allows names to be entered into the NICS system based solely on a physician's diagnosis or prescription of a medication: adults who have taken Ritalin and soldiers with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder would be classified as mentally ill and given the same opportunity to own firearms as convicted felons: None."
That is totally FALSE, I just explained how the procedure works.
Mr. Pratt then goes on to say "Simple diagnosis or medical prescription does not appear to be in the bill as grounds for a ban. Ritalin and PTSD are not listed at the present time, though critics of the measure are concerned that such things could change."
Didn't we just read that this is what the bill would do!
Hard to keep the story straight when your winging it !

In paragraph # 19 Mr. Pratt said "Pratt points out that many people will be taken by surprise when they try to buy a firearm and learn they have been unknowingly lumped into a category with murderers, rapists and illegal aliens."
If I have been court ordered for a psyc evaluation,had a DR tell me that I am a danger and then went before a judge and he agreed,I really don't think I would
be surprised !

In paragraph # 16 Mr. Pratt said "In the past, federal and state officials have been known to stonewall, delay, deceive and claim impotence when confronted with requests to have rights restored to the innocent, or to the reformed. Congress has refused to fund such reviews, which are required by law, since 1992, effectively eliminating a person's chance for due process.
I was wondering what Mr. Pratt and the GOA had put on the table to help correct this problem?

Remember that one of the Clinton Administration's last acts was to force the names of almost 90,000 veterans and veterans' family members to be added to a "prohibited" list. H.R. 2640 would help many of these people get their rights restored. H.R. 2640 will also require all participating federal or state agencies to establish "relief from disability" programs that would allow a person to get the mental health prohibition removed, either administratively or in court. This type of relief has not been available at the federal level for the past 15 years.

The NRA got involved in a piece of legislation that was going through Congress with or without any involvement from a gun-rights group. The NRA stepped in and is giving our brave young men and women a way to restore there rights if they had psyc issues after coming home from combat.
Mr. Pratt and the GOA want to sit on the sideline and criticize.

Like I had asked earlier, " What did the GOA have to offer ?? " If they had a better idea you can damn sure bet that they would be flaunting it.

My dad used to say " If you have to cut somebody down to make yourself look good,,,chances are you don't have a whole hell of a lot to offer "
He also used to say " lead, fallow or get the hell out of the way!

I see no leadership with Mr. Pratt, I see liberal political tactics of misinformation and twisting facts to press his point of view. If you have to do that to make your point, maybe your point isn't as valid as you would like to think. and then sit back and criticize the people that are doing something!

Keepandbear

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

"It's scary, when both the main defender of this civil right and the enemies of that right combine and work to deny rights to so many people at once," said an insider who prefers to remain anonymous. "Are the records accurate? Can people unjustly accused swiftly restore their rights and reclaim their place in society? Shouldn't we check the validity before we summarily add so many people to the list, and not just add them and let the innocent suffer? Why are the NRA and anti-gun Democrats trying to move so fast?" Carefully checking 21 million people's records would of course slow down the process, and delay entering all the names.

An insider of what? I love "anonymous" "insiders" that give a viewpoint. They're so reliable.

Legba

imported post

GOA is the Gun Owners of America, but I am happy to say that they do not speak for me, an enthusiastic owner for decades now. I find Mr. Pratt to be full of hyperbolic fury about any and all regulation of firearms, at least some of which I find to be reasonable (the regulation, not the hyperbole). The NICS expansion bill doesn't bother me, for one. I did, however, both write and call my congressman to communicate my disapproval for the resurrection of the Assault Weapons Ban in the form of HR 1022, sponsored by Rep. McCarthy (NY), et al. I encourage all of you to do the same, whatever you make of Herr Pratt and the GOA.

-ljp

p.s. Please read the proposed legislation itself before opining about it - blogs are not a definitive resource for information.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Legba wrote:
GOA is the Gun Owners of America, but I am happy to say that they do not speak for me, an enthusiastic owner for decades now. I find Mr. Pratt to be full of hyperbolic fury about any and all regulation of firearms, at least some of which I find to be reasonable. The NICS expansion bill doesn't bother me, for one. I did, however, both write and call my congressman to communicate my disapproval for the resurrection of the Assault Weapons Ban in the form of HR 1022, sponsored by Rep. McCarthy (NY), et al. I encourage all of you to do the same, whatever you make of Herr Pratt and the GOA.

-ljp

I think H.R 1022 from what I have read and understand is a DIRECT TERRORIST THREAT TO OUR NATION AND CONSTITUTION.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

1st freedom wrote:
Can you say " hitnail on head ", kuzz you just did !

Thank you 1st freedom.

I Believe that I spoke for all the OCDO members when I wrote this. It's totally from the Heart.

And we thought Bush was Bad:what:...(my opinion)

Keepandbear

imported post

For those who didn't read the entire discussion, I was clearly not quoting Mr. Huffman. He did not "write" the article. But then again, you could havefooled me! This type of rhetoric is right up is alley. Is Mr. Huffman the "insider?"

NRA KMA$$=Hatred

Hatred is apoisonous.

Oh and by the way, to answer your question, the NRA doesn't need to do anything to expand open carry when many states have had open carry on the books, years before theNRA entered the political arena.

Keepandbear

imported post

Huffman, what is your problem with the NRA? Did you not get your decals or hat for signing up? Or is because you think they're in it for the money?

You seem to disagree with anything the NRA does. Have you ever agreed with anything the NRA does?

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't like the legislation or the NRA supporting it. Once you are on the list you can't get off of it. The congress won't fund the FBI to do the research to remove people so you are stuck. I don't like where this is heading.
:cuss:

1st freedom

imported post

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353927347

"The compromise would require that incorrect records _ such as expunged mental health rulings that once disqualified a prospective gun buyer but no longer do _ be removed from system within 30 days.

The original bill would require any agency, such as the Veterans Administration or the Defense Department, to notify a person flagged as mentally ill and disqualified from buying or possessing a gun. The new version now also would require the notification when someone has been cleared of that restriction.

The bill would authorize up to $250 million a year over five years for the states and as much as $125 million a year over the same period for state courts to help defray the cost of enacting the policy."

I guess that is the " compromise" that doug and the GOA got their panties in a wad about

imported post

Why do some people have such a tough time comprehending something sooooooo simple? Read the 2nd amendment. Done? Now read it again. Nowhere, NOwhere do I see ANYthing which even begins to hint at ANY restrictions, qualifications, etc to exercise this right. None. Once you've opened that door, there's no closing it. And the NRA (negotiate rights away) has made a very, very, very lucrative career out of using the threat of losing that right to extort/con the sheeple out of their hardearned monies. Is the GOA any better? Seems they, too, are attempting to make a name ($) for themselves.

1st freedom

imported post

Had the NRA not got involved, there would be no way to get off the list or no funding to do so. The bill was going to pass with or with out the NRA.

Are you saying the NRA should have not got involved, that they should havemade a statement that they would not support it? Could you explain the advantage to that?

How do you suggest the NRA should have stopped the bill all together. Then purpose a bill, allowing thosepeople found to bementally illto be able to obtain fire arms anyway, in the wake of the VT shootings?

How would you have done that?