• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Many NRA Members "Confused" by Proposed Gun Bill

ScottNH

imported post

By the very act of dignifying "their" unconstitutional erosion of our rights with dialogue, you are basically agreeing ALL our rights are subject to debate and negotiable. Just do what is right, REFUSE to negotiate, let nature run it's course and be prepared to (one day soon) do what the founders predicted would come to pass.

imported post

I never said ignore anything !!! Quite the contrary. By engaging the enemy in dialogue about their intent to violate you, you're basically admitting you're willing to compromise your 2nd amendment (and all other) rights away.

1st freedom

imported post

Had the NRA not got involved and we "let nature take it's course" as you suggest, our solders coming back from the sandbox and being diagnosed with post traumatic syndrome from being in combat would never again be able to own a firearm. Because of the NRA our brave young men and woman will be able to exercise the Constitutional rights.

Are saying that's a bad thing?

imported post

No matter what happens, there will ALWAYS be some people who will ALWAYS worship at the altar of the NRA (negotiate rights away). You just don't seem to comprehend what the NRA is doing is EXACTLY what shouldn't be done: negotiate. Yes, let "our" armed forces return "from the sandbox" where they enabled the Great Violator on his quest for world domination, YES, let them find out the very government they "serve" is the SAME government which will violate THEM right here in "the Homeland." Then, hopefully, they will come eye to eye with the REAL enemies of this country, the enemy domestic. Once THAT happens, maybe, remotely, hopefully they will re-focus their sights on THAT target, not some innocent, third world civilians.

imported post

"So was "it"..............
If the "it" you're referring to is the recent unconstitutional bill, the answer is it's a bad thing. ANY compromise, ANY negotiation concerning ANY right is a bad thing, very, very, very bad. But, like most NRA (negotiate rights away) rabid enthusiasts, nothing I or anyone else says will sway your blind loyalty to an organization which is, by all logical accounts, the very enemy you claim to despise.

1st freedom

imported post

" It " was refuring to allowing our solders to get off the list.But you know that and can"t bring yourself to addmit it.

I have to go now so I won't be posting for a couple of days, Mark I hope you and everyone else has a very Merry Christmas.

imported post

AGAIN: having veterans getting ON the list is a GOOD thing. Maybe, just maybe, that will jar them into recognizing the very government they served is now the very government abusing them. Hopefully, this could motivate more persons to bring about a very, very, very long overdue "correction" in this once great Republic. Other than the second coming of Christ, there's no real hope otherwise.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Code:
Outrage of the Week #1 was the passage of HR2640.  I've written President Bush 
pleading with him to veto it. 

Outrage #2 was NRA supporting this piece of legislation.  I really am beginning 
to believe if we gun owners made any real gains you'd be out of work, so you 
aren't helping the cause.  

Outrage #3 was the NRA telling me in many e-mails over the past months that I"m 
too stupid to read the legislation for myself and realize what a bad piece of 
junk it was. 

Tess Ailshire 
Life Member
They were sweet enough to reply with another "too stupid" message, thus:

The passage of the “NICS Improvement Act” makes many improvements to current law that NRA has been seeking for years. The law will not negatively impact law-abiding gun owners. Please visit http://www.NRAILA.org where you will find a plethora of materials summarizing what this bill actually will and will not do.

I would also suggest reading the following pieces by representatives of the gun ban group, the Violence Policy Center: Trojan Horse Gun Control: The NRA Wins on the NICS Bill (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/trojan-horse-gun-control_b_77754.h tml)

Gun Lobby Hijacks Bill Intended to Improve Gun Buyer Background Checks (http://www.vpc.org/press/0712nics.htm)
In other words, shut up and color.

So I responded perhaps it's good for the NRA, but not for the average law-abiding gun owner.

No response to that so far. Apparently these idiots don't understand I READ THE FLIPPING BILL.............

imperialism2024

imported post

I can understand the opposition to any legislation that improves a gun control system. It reinforces that gun control through legitimizing it. Nonetheless, this piece of legislation improves the system overall, and is nothing but beneficial to gun owners.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I can understand the opposition to any legislation that improves a gun control system. It reinforces that gun control through legitimizing it. Nonetheless, this piece of legislation improves the system overall, and is nothing but beneficial to gun owners.

This implies to me that you believe the federal government will immediately have in place the infrastructure to allow persons to remove names "erroneously" entered.

Having been in federal service for many many many years, I don't share that optimism.

The bill has no teeth. While it says there are protections built in, the "protections" are just words. I don't see that they've cleaned it up sufficiently since its introduction. I still think it's a piece of crap, and hope, but don't expect, the president vetoes it.

imperialism2024

imported post

Tess wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

This implies to me that you believe the federal government will immediately have in place the infrastructure to allow persons to remove names "erroneously" entered.

Having been in federal service for many many many years, I don't share that optimism.

The bill has no teeth. While it says there are protections built in, the "protections" are just words. I don't see that they've cleaned it up sufficiently since its introduction. I still think it's a piece of crap, and hope, but don't expect, the president vetoes it.
Better that it takes a little while to put a process in place than to have no plans at all to put such a process in place.

Maybe I've gotten soft and taken a "it's better than nothing" approach. But I really can't see how having kept the old system around could be better... that is, the system where it is still illegal for a person to possess guns, and where that person could be charged as such if caught even many years after innocently purchasing a gun. And where a person has little, if any, recourse for having their name removed. To me, the old system is a problem that needed a solution. The best of those solutions would be to eliminate background checks altogether and keep people out of society who are an imminant danger to themselves and others. That's just not going to happen right now. In the mean time, this seems to be a still decent plan.