• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots 'intruder,' finds she's his wife

mzbk2l

imported post

Nothing here to improve the image of gun owners. :(

Link to article

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:33 AM
By Holly Zachariah
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

When Marion police arrived at the house on N. Prospect Street, they found a man huddled next to his wife on the floor in the doorway to their bedroom.

He had a bath towel pressed against her bleeding side. A shotgun lay on the floor.

Marion County Commissioner Josh Daniels, 36, told authorities that he mistook his wife for an intruder, and that the shooting Monday night was an accident. Police say they agree but will follow standard procedure and have the city prosecutor review the case, Maj. Bill Collins said.

Danielle Daniels, 25, was listed in fair condition at Grant Medical Center in Columbus yesterday, her right side and arm full of holes from a round of buckshot.

Her husband, a first-term commissioner and former chairman of the Marion County Democratic Party, called 911 at 10:41 p.m. Monday. Dispatchers could hear Mrs. Daniels in the background, yelling that it was an accident, according to the police report.

Mrs. Daniels told police that she had slipped out of bed to take allergy medication.

Her husband said he awoke when he heard a loud noise that sounded as if someone was kicking in a door.

He said he then saw a person's silhouette at his bedroom door. He rolled over, grabbed a loaded shotgun from the corner of the room and fired once from his bed.

"He heard his wife scream, dropped the gun and ran to her," Officer Mark Elliott wrote in his report.

Mr. Daniels told police that he suspected a break-in because he lives in a bad neighborhood. Police said yesterday that they wouldn't characterize the area that way.

Elliott noted in the report that every light in the house was on when officers arrived, including the porch light and those in the hallway, bedroom, living room, home office, kitchen and laundry room. He also wrote that an unopened bottle of water was next to Mrs. Daniels.

Mr. Daniels, a Navy veteran who owns a construction company, took office in January.

Fellow Commissioner Ken Frayer said Daniels left a voice mail for the office, saying that he had a medical emergency and wouldn't be at yesterday's meeting.

"It's just a tragic accident, and we wish them both all the best," Frayer said.

hzachariah@dispatch.com

compmanio365

imported post

Damn.......that's why I always keep a night light on out in the hall so I can see better when my bedroom door is opened......plus I always check whether it's the wife making noise by reaching out a hand.....if I feel her, I know it's not her and someone's gonna be sorry they are in my house..........luckily it sounds likehis wife is going to be OK....

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like something is a bit off to me.

He could not see his wife, so I am assuming the lights were off, but then while he waited for police someone all of the lights in the house came on. He also is quite a bit older than his wife. But this may all be unrelated.

Why would this man decided to shoot at the drop of a hat, or more precisely as soon as he heard a loud noise. The first thing he should have realized is that his wife was out of bed, therefore you immediately need to be careful, because now you need to know who you are shooting at.

Seems a little careless on the part of the husband/homeowner.

para_org

imported post

openryan wrote:
Sounds like something is a bit off to me.

He could not see his wife, so I am assuming the lights were off, but then while he waited for police someone all of the lights in the house came on. He also is quite a bit older than his wife. But this may all be unrelated.

Why would this man decided to shoot at the drop of a hat, or more precisely as soon as he heard a loud noise. The first thing he should have realized is that his wife was out of bed, therefore you immediately need to be careful, because now you need to know who you are shooting at.

Seems a little careless on the part of the husband/homeowner.
He's a politician, so yes he "...is a bit off to me."

mzbk2l

imported post

openryan, you're right - it seems VERY careless, and that's why I posted. It's a good reminder to pay attention.

Similar to the story I posted a few weeks ago of the guy whose house was broken into, and the intruder got past him sleeping on the couch, went upstairs, found the home owner's gun, and came back downstairs with it.

My point in posting each of these stories? If you're someone who sleeps so soundly that you either don't wake up, or you wake up with severely impaired judgment, MAKE SURE you take precautions to prevent a situation like this from occurring.

When I first started keeping a semi-automatic pistol near me in my sleep, I did not chamber a round. That way I knew I would have to be awake and alert before I could fire the weapon. Now that I'm more comfortable with it, and know how I react when I wake up, I do things differently. (You'll have to come in my house and wake me up in the night to find out exactly how differently.) :D

UTOC-45-44

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Damn.......that's why I always keep a night light on out in the hall so I can see better when my bedroom door is opened......plus I always check whether it's the wife making noise by reaching out a hand.....if I feel her, I know it's not her and someone's gonna be sorry they are in my house..........luckily it sounds likehis wife is going to be OK....

I keep nightlights on as well (1 in hallway, 1 in main bathroom, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the Living room where the main enterance is. Not too lit up but enough too see who's there ), and if I do hear anything I too reach out to see if my wife is beside me, if not I call out hear name and no respond I grab the closest shooter. I would never just shoot.

Would this incident be covered under Homeowners Insurance ??? If so how would that claim look like???:what:

Mjolnir

imported post

What a moonbat, this shows a major lack of weapon safety, discipline and training & most of all he failed to use the grey matter between his ears and SHOT HIS WIFE :what::what::what:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
Nothing here to improve the image of gun owners. :(

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:33 AM
Her husband, a first-term commissioner and former chairman of the Marion County Democratic Party, called 911 at 10:41 p.m. Monday. Dispatchers could hear Mrs. Daniels in the background, yelling that it was an accident, according to the police report.

Mrs. Daniels told police that she had slipped out of bed to take allergy medication.

Her husband said he awoke when he heard a loud noise that sounded as if someone was kicking in a door.

He said he then saw a person's silhouette at his bedroom door. He rolled over, grabbed a loaded shotgun from the corner of the room and fired once from his bed.

"He heard his wife scream, dropped the gun and ran to her," Officer Mark Elliott wrote in his report.

Mr. Daniels told police that he suspected a break-in because he lives in a bad neighborhood. Police said yesterday that they wouldn't characterize the area that way.

Goof with a gun....guy shoots his own wife...<shaking head>

I certainly agree that this reflects badly on gun owners.

I wonder if he'll get charged? He certainly was negligent.

BobCav wrote:
I'm glad she's ok, but this was preventable.
She's hardly "ok." She has a bunchof holes in her...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

T-RaV wrote:
Her husband, a first-term commissioner and former chairman of the Marion County Democratic Party
He rolled over, grabbed a loaded shotgun from the corner of the room and fired once from his bed
Damn gun grabbing liberals!

Someone had to say it :p
lol.gif