Thread: Need A Solution

Post imported post

I'm a new gun owner and I'm probably as pro-gun as a person can get. I haven't always been that way; however, after several years of observing violent crime increasing and the courts'continued unwillingness toexecute murderers, Ifinally decided it's time to purchase a gun mostly for protection but for target shooting as well.

I ended up with a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum 7-shot revolver. The first time I fired it, I was distressed tofind that many of the empty shells would not fall out of their chamber but had to actually be pryed out witha fingernail. Obviously, that would be totally unacceptable if a situation warranted quick reloading.

Is there a remedy for this problem other than replacing the gun with a different make and/or model?

Thanks!

Scott

Post imported post

Did you try using the ejector plunger? Push on the shaft which goes through the cylinder, from the front... it engages and ejects shells which are loaded in the chambers.

Post imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
    Did you try using the ejector plunger? Push on the shaft which goes through the cylinder, from the front... it engages and ejects shells which are loaded in the chambers.
    That's what it's there for, but if it's still sticky, a little jiggle and shake always clears them for me.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
    OK, I'm an idiot. I had no idea it has a plunger. That was an embarrassing first post, eh? Well, like I said, I'm a new gun owner. I just tried the plunger.It works great.

Thanks, y'all.

Scott

Post imported post

wholearmor wrote:
    OK, I'm an idiot. I had no idea it has a plunger. That was an embarrassing first post, eh? Well, like I said, I'm a new gun owner. I just tried the plunger.It works great.

Thanks, y'all.

Scott
    Heh, no worries. First time I held a wheel gun I couldn't figure out how to load it because I had it tilted the wrong way so the cylinder wouldn't drop out. My dad thought I was a dumbass.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

Yeah, the brass/steel cases expand when fired and you may need to whack the plunger to extract the spent casings readily. One word of advice: don't use the ultra-cheap aluminum case non-reloadable ammo (it should be marked "NR" on the base). I've had those split open on me and I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to extract the spent case - the plunger wasn't sufficient.

-ljp

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    wholearmor wrote:

Thanks, y'all.

Scott
    Heh, no worries. First time I held a wheel gun I couldn't figure out how to load it because I had it tilted the wrong way so the cylinder wouldn't drop out. My dad thought I was a dumbass.
    That's pretty funny. I feel a little bit better, except that I'm actually not only a dad, but a grandfather. DOH!! I gotta' say, though, it sure was a good time taking my son and daughter up the canyon to fire it. My daughter now calls it my loud, obnoxious gun, but she does want to go fire it again.

Scott

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Yeah, the brass/steel cases expand when fired and you may need to whack the plunger to extract the spent casings readily. One word of advice: don't use the ultra-cheap aluminum case non-reloadable ammo (it should be marked "NR" on the base). I've had those split open on me and I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to extract the spent case - the plunger wasn't sufficient.

-ljp
    Great advice, ljp. Thank you.

Scott

State Researcher

Post imported post

wholearmor wrote:
    I'm a new gun owner and I'm probably as pro-gun as a person can get. I haven't always been that way; however, after several years of observing violent crime increasing and the courts'continued unwillingness toexecute murderers, Ifinally decided it's time to purchase a gun mostly for protection but for target shooting as well.

I ended up with a Smith & Wesson 357 magnum 7-shot revolver. The first time I fired it, I was distressed tofind that many of the empty shells would not fall out of their chamber but had to actually be pryed out witha fingernail. Obviously, that would be totally unacceptable if a situation warranted quick reloading.

Is there a remedy for this problem other than replacing the gun with a different make and/or model?

Thanks!

Scott
    HA! Well at least I am not the only one who has ever done that!

When I first shot a revolver when I was a few years younger, I did the same thing, I asked my Dad if he was sure we were using the right ammuntion, as it was getting stuck on the way out! Wow -- I was dumb

State Researcher

Post imported post

wholearmor wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    wholearmor wrote:

Thanks, y'all.

Scott
    That's pretty funny. I feel a little bit better, except that I'm actually not only a dad, but a grandfather. DOH!! I gotta' say, though, it sure was a good time taking my son and daughter up the canyon to fire it. My daughter now calls it my loud, obnoxious gun, but she does want to go fire it again.

Scott
    Is your daughter 22? If so -- let me know

My girlfriend likes going to the range, but unfortunately she is stuck on my .22

She shot my 9mm twice and now won't even touch it, mean while your daughter is shooting a .357! Lucky bastard

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    Is your daughter 22? If so -- let me know

My girlfriend likes going to the range, but unfortunately she is stuck on my .22

She shot my 9mm twice and now won't even touch it, mean while your daughter is shooting a .357! Lucky bastard
    She's 24 and just got married a couple of weeks ago. Her new husband is a gun-lover, too. That was definitelyone of therequirementsto gainmy permission to marry my daughter.

Scott

Post imported post

wholearmor wrote:

I ended up with a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum 7-shot revolver. The first time I fired it, I was distressed tofind that many of the empty shells would not fall out of their chamber but had to actually be pryed out witha fingernail. Obviously, that would be totally unacceptable if a situation warranted quick reloading.

Thanks!

Scott

It happened to me too but I tried different ammo and that seems to do the trick too. I never have to use the Plunger ever since I found an ammo that worked for my "Wheeler". Different ammo expands different.

I have a 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 "old style" KAABOOOM:celebrate

AND I'M LOVIN' IT

Congrats to yur "Wheeler" and WELCOME here to the rest of the "A$$CLOWNS":celebrateTOUCH THE MONKEY

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Wholearmor I think you might benefit from an NRA Basic Pistol course. It will teach you a lot good info and build up your confidence level with a firearm.

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    wholearmor wrote:

Thanks!

Scott

It happened to me too but I tried different ammo and that seems to do the trick too. I never have to use the Plunger ever since I found an ammo that worked for my "Wheeler". Different ammo expands different.

AND I'M LOVIN' IT

Congrats to yur "Wheeler" and WELCOME here to the rest of the "A$$CLOWNS":celebrateTOUCH THE MONKEY
    Next time I buy ammo, I'll ask about that. I'd rather they fall out quickly than having to force them with the plunger. I don't know what a 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 "old style" is, but I'll lookit up. Sounds impressive.

Thanks for the congrats and the WELCOME!

Scott

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Wholearmor I think you might benefit from an NRA Basic Pistol course. It will teach you a lot good info and build up your confidence level with a firearm.
    I'm sure I would, longwatch. Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate that.

Scott

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Scott, welcome aboard! Great first post..if you can't laugh at yourself, well then laugh at everyone else!

Post imported post

wholearmor wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    wholearmor wrote:

Thanks!

Scott

AND I'M LOVIN' IT

Next time I buy ammo, I'll ask about that. I'd rather they fall out quickly than having to force them with the plunger. I don't know what a 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 "old style" is, but I'll lookit up. Sounds impressive.

Thanks for the congrats and the WELCOME!

Scott

Holster for it...

Yup...,Cowboy Up

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Scott, welcome aboard! Great first post..if you can't laugh at yourself, well then laugh at everyone else!
    Thank you, Bob. That's what I always say, sometimes.

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote: Wow, VERY nice!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

wholearmor wrote:
    longwatch wrote:

Scott
    And always read the instruction manual for your firearm. If you don't have one most manufacturers will send you one free of charge.

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    wholearmor wrote:

Thanks, y'all.

Scott
    remember when we were at the picnic on saturday and you asked me if they made a lasermax for my S&W Model 19? :P

have we had any more delicious MRE's as of lately?

happy carrying,

jason

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    wholearmor wrote:
    longwatch wrote:

Scott
    And always read the instruction manual for your firearm. If you don't have one most manufacturers will send you one free of charge.
    Good point. That would have helped me with the sticking shells dilemma.

Post imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
    remember when we were at the picnic on saturday and you asked me if they made a lasermax for my S&W Model 19? :P
    When I do bonehead things, my g/f calls me a dumb-head dumb. Yeah, so that. > )
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    When I do bonehead things, my g/f calls me a dumb-head dumb. Yeah, so that. > )
    When I do bonehead things, my wife calls me a bonehead.