• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need A Solution

wholearmor

imported post

I'm a new gun owner and I'm probably as pro-gun as a person can get. I haven't always been that way; however, after several years of observing violent crime increasing and the courts'continued unwillingness toexecute murderers, Ifinally decided it's time to purchase a gun mostly for protection but for target shooting as well.

I ended up with a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum 7-shot revolver. The first time I fired it, I was distressed tofind that many of the empty shells would not fall out of their chamber but had to actually be pryed out witha fingernail. Obviously, that would be totally unacceptable if a situation warranted quick reloading.

Is there a remedy for this problem other than replacing the gun with a different make and/or model?

Thanks!

Scott

molonlabetn

imported post

Did you try using the ejector plunger? Push on the shaft which goes through the cylinder, from the front... it engages and ejects shells which are loaded in the chambers.

unrequited

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
Did you try using the ejector plunger? Push on the shaft which goes through the cylinder, from the front... it engages and ejects shells which are loaded in the chambers.
That's what it's there for, but if it's still sticky, a little jiggle and shake always clears them for me.

wholearmor

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:

OK, I'm an idiot. I had no idea it has a plunger. That was an embarrassing first post, eh? Well, like I said, I'm a new gun owner. I just tried the plunger.It works great.

Thanks, y'all.

Scott

unrequited

imported post

wholearmor wrote:
OK, I'm an idiot. I had no idea it has a plunger. That was an embarrassing first post, eh? Well, like I said, I'm a new gun owner. I just tried the plunger.It works great.

Thanks, y'all.

Scott
Heh, no worries. First time I held a wheel gun I couldn't figure out how to load it because I had it tilted the wrong way so the cylinder wouldn't drop out. My dad thought I was a dumbass.

Legba

imported post

Yeah, the brass/steel cases expand when fired and you may need to whack the plunger to extract the spent casings readily. One word of advice: don't use the ultra-cheap aluminum case non-reloadable ammo (it should be marked "NR" on the base). I've had those split open on me and I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to extract the spent case - the plunger wasn't sufficient.

-ljp

wholearmor

imported post

unrequited wrote:
wholearmor wrote:

Thanks, y'all.

Scott
Heh, no worries. First time I held a wheel gun I couldn't figure out how to load it because I had it tilted the wrong way so the cylinder wouldn't drop out. My dad thought I was a dumbass.

That's pretty funny. I feel a little bit better, except that I'm actually not only a dad, but a grandfather. DOH!! I gotta' say, though, it sure was a good time taking my son and daughter up the canyon to fire it. My daughter now calls it my loud, obnoxious gun, but she does want to go fire it again.

Scott

wholearmor

imported post

Legba wrote:
Yeah, the brass/steel cases expand when fired and you may need to whack the plunger to extract the spent casings readily. One word of advice: don't use the ultra-cheap aluminum case non-reloadable ammo (it should be marked "NR" on the base). I've had those split open on me and I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to extract the spent case - the plunger wasn't sufficient.

-ljp

Great advice, ljp. Thank you.

Scott

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

wholearmor wrote:
I'm a new gun owner and I'm probably as pro-gun as a person can get. I haven't always been that way; however, after several years of observing violent crime increasing and the courts'continued unwillingness toexecute murderers, Ifinally decided it's time to purchase a gun mostly for protection but for target shooting as well.

I ended up with a Smith & Wesson 357 magnum 7-shot revolver. The first time I fired it, I was distressed tofind that many of the empty shells would not fall out of their chamber but had to actually be pryed out witha fingernail. Obviously, that would be totally unacceptable if a situation warranted quick reloading.

Is there a remedy for this problem other than replacing the gun with a different make and/or model?

Thanks!

Scott
HA! Well at least I am not the only one who has ever done that!

When I first shot a revolver when I was a few years younger, I did the same thing, I asked my Dad if he was sure we were using the right ammuntion, as it was getting stuck on the way out! Wow -- I was dumb :)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

wholearmor wrote:
unrequited wrote:
wholearmor wrote:

Thanks, y'all.

Scott

That's pretty funny. I feel a little bit better, except that I'm actually not only a dad, but a grandfather. DOH!! I gotta' say, though, it sure was a good time taking my son and daughter up the canyon to fire it. My daughter now calls it my loud, obnoxious gun, but she does want to go fire it again.

Scott
Is your daughter 22? If so -- let me know :)

My girlfriend likes going to the range, but unfortunately she is stuck on my .22 :(

She shot my 9mm twice and now won't even touch it, mean while your daughter is shooting a .357! Lucky bastard :)

wholearmor

imported post

openryan wrote:
Is your daughter 22? If so -- let me know :)

My girlfriend likes going to the range, but unfortunately she is stuck on my .22 :(

She shot my 9mm twice and now won't even touch it, mean while your daughter is shooting a .357! Lucky bastard :)

She's 24 and just got married a couple of weeks ago. Her new husband is a gun-lover, too. That was definitelyone of therequirementsto gainmy permission to marry my daughter.

Scott

UTOC-45-44

imported post

wholearmor wrote:

I ended up with a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum 7-shot revolver. The first time I fired it, I was distressed tofind that many of the empty shells would not fall out of their chamber but had to actually be pryed out witha fingernail. Obviously, that would be totally unacceptable if a situation warranted quick reloading.

Thanks!

Scott

It happened to me too but I tried different ammo and that seems to do the trick too. I never have to use the Plunger ever since I found an ammo that worked for my "Wheeler". Different ammo expands different.

I have a 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 "old style" KAABOOOM:celebrate:monkey

AND I'M LOVIN' IT

Congrats to yur "Wheeler" and WELCOME here to the rest of the "A$$CLOWNS":celebrate:monkeyTOUCH THE MONKEY:monkey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Wholearmor I think you might benefit from an NRA Basic Pistol course. It will teach you a lot good info and build up your confidence level with a firearm.

wholearmor

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
wholearmor wrote:

Thanks!

Scott
It happened to me too but I tried different ammo and that seems to do the trick too. I never have to use the Plunger ever since I found an ammo that worked for my "Wheeler". Different ammo expands different.

AND I'M LOVIN' IT

Congrats to yur "Wheeler" and WELCOME here to the rest of the "A$$CLOWNS":celebrate:monkeyTOUCH THE MONKEY:monkey
Next time I buy ammo, I'll ask about that. I'd rather they fall out quickly than having to force them with the plunger. I don't know what a 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 "old style" is, but I'll lookit up. Sounds impressive.

Thanks for the congrats and the WELCOME!

Scott

wholearmor

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Wholearmor I think you might benefit from an NRA Basic Pistol course. It will teach you a lot good info and build up your confidence level with a firearm.

I'm sure I would, longwatch. Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate that.

Scott

UTOC-45-44

imported post

wholearmor wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
wholearmor wrote:

Thanks!

Scott

AND I'M LOVIN' IT

Next time I buy ammo, I'll ask about that. I'd rather they fall out quickly than having to force them with the plunger. I don't know what a 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 "old style" is, but I'll lookit up. Sounds impressive.

Thanks for the congrats and the WELCOME!

Scott

rugerNV-455pic.jpg

Holster for it...

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Holster[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]

[align=left]

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Belt[/align]http://www.triplek.com/Pages/ProdInfo.cfm?ProdID=458
[/align]
[/align]
Yup...,Cowboy Up

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

wholearmor wrote:
longwatch wrote:

I'm sure I would, longwatch. Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate that.

Scott
And always read the instruction manual for your firearm. If you don't have one most manufacturers will send you one free of charge.