• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Roomful of Stares

denwego

imported post

After a month and a week on the road visiting relatives in both New York and Texas, I was very happy to finally be back in Colorado this afternoon. And to celebrate, I thought I'd slap on the XD-45 and head out to get some coffee and a new front tire for the car that went flat while I was gone. I went to the Home Depot on Arapahoe Ave. without any second glances, as usual, and popped into the 29th Street Mall for Starbucks while I was in the shopping center.

As I walked through the door, I nearly stepped into a table of six Boulder PD officers, sitting around and laughing boisterously. Immediately, it was as if someone started eating a hamburger at a PETA rally... dead silence at the cops' table as all twelve eyes immediately focused on every move I made across the store.

I thought, "Oh man, here comes the lecture..."; the Boulder County Sheriff's Office is very pro-gun and pro-carry, but the more leftist local PD swings wildly from officer to officer about whether they like "citizens" carrying, or even tolerate it when concealed with a permit. The guy behind the counter was a friend from graduate school, so he was happy to see me in town and shouted to the chick in the back room that I was finally back, and I noticed that the demeanor of the cops' table changed when it became clear that the manager didn't want to immediately throw me out. Honestly, I think they might have been debating about approaching the manager as a pretext to give me guff, but there were only three other people in the store and they didn't seem to notice that either I or the cops were on the other side.

So, in the end, I got my coffee, nodded to the table as I passed by them again to go out the door, and walked uneventfully back to my car. Not even a word exchanged... it might be droll to y'all in Virginia, but it's a very good step in the right direction out here in the People's Republic of Boulder!

denwego

imported post

Thanks for the replies! And when you get to the area, Tomahawk, let me know... I don't want you Virginians having all the OC-dinner fun!

Mjolnir

imported post

Sad to say in Boulder, it's more accepted to walk down the street smoking a joint that OC a firearm:shock::cry::cry:

Went into a Silver Mine Subs once in Boulder and the entire place smelled of pot, seems the staff were smoking it while working :uhoh::uhoh:

Forget the name of the resturant (salad/soup joint) we were walking past & several of the people sitting round the tables outside were smoking pot like there was nothing wrong with it and it was legal.

Now if the Boulder PD paid as little attention to firearms owners as they do pot smokers :p:p:p:p

denwego

imported post

No kidding... you should see the garbage that goes on around here on April 20th every year. Thousands upon thousands of people gather up all around town and smoke weed in public, and the police don't even make a token effort to write tickets. Two years ago they tried wandering through the crowd to take hidden pictures of smokers and post them on the PD's website for people to identify (for a nice bounty; I made a cool $200 :cool:). So many people sued for "being photographed without their consent" and other nonsense that they haven't done a thing to stop it since.

Dozens of people on the CU campus get off with possession of marijuana or drugs each month ("officer elected not to file charges" - check out the blotter here if you want http://www.colorado.edu/police/stats/blotter.html )... but if you even talk about legal carry, you're going to have some pissed-off admins "questioning your place at the university." Garbage.

Sig229

imported post

I lived in CO for a few years and loved their OC laws.

And honestly, I rather people smoke weed in public than be drunk and fist fighting or driving.

Just my 2¢

ProguninTN

imported post

Hmm, outrageous, but believable. (Guns-legal not accepted and marijuana-illegal is accepted in Boulder.) Anyways, glad it turned out ok for you.

ProguninTN

denwego

imported post

Yeah, the state stopped recognizing non-resident ones on the first of July this year. Thankfully, you can still OC everywhere in the state except Denver county, which is quite a bit smaller than "Denver" and is essentially the downtown and a corridor to the airport. And you can always conceal in your car anywhere without a permit, Denver included.

Sig229

imported post

d enwego wrote:
Yeah, the state stopped recognizing non-resident ones on the first of July this year. Thankfully, you can still OC everywhere in the state except Denver county, which is quite a bit smaller than "Denver" and is essentially the downtown and a corridor to the airport. And you can always conceal in your car anywhere without a permit, Denver included.

CO is starting to make some REALLY stupid gun laws these past few years.

For instance, a friend of mine moved out there. he has NO criminal record. He got into a childish fist fight once when he was 15 and was charged, but it went to court and was dropped.

Remember, it was as a Juvenile.

He wasnt able to buy any guns at all because he was "adjudicated" in a court. It doesnt matter if the charges were dropped or not. Just the fact that he got arestead as a juvenile once.
Again, other than that when he was 15yo he has no record. Not even a speeding ticket!

Needless to say he moved to Wyoming and is very happy.