• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

W&OD Trail ok for carry?

vrwmiller

imported post

I am preparing for a 20 - 25 mile bike ride on the W&OD Trail tomorrow. The trail is owned and operated by the Northern VA Regional Park Authority, which was founded as part of the Virginia Park Authorities Act of 1959. Would it then be correct to assume that the W&OD Trail is a "State Park"? I'm not completely sure of the relationship between the Regional Park Authority and The Commonwealth.

Does the trail cross or intersect with any federal property anywhere where it would be unlawful to possess any firearms? Any maps I have found did not indicate there was federal property anywhere along the stretch from Leesburg to Purcelville, which is the stretch my son and I are planning to bike.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I feel pretty confident that it is not a state park or falls under the rules of one.

possumboy

imported post

Mike wrote:
If it is NOVA Park authority, it is not a state park - it is a regional park, fully preempted, OC all you want.

Here are the links: http://www.nvrpa.org/html/index.php?pg=aboutnvrpa.html

"...Park Authority represents three counties and three cities -- Arlington County, Fairfax County, Loudoun County, the City of Alexandria, the City of Falls Church and the City of Fairfax. Regional Park Authority staff, volunteer board members appointed from each jurisdiction ..."

That is who the NVRPA are, also, search for their legislative agenda, they are spending your take money to ban guns in parks - well they were last year, don't know about this year.

vrwmiller

imported post

Well, then...I'll OC the whole time then :celebrate

I didn't feel like trying to conceal it on a bike ride that long. Although, I will have a backpack, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

I did some searches and found that there had been issues getting the park authority to comply with the pre-empted firearms laws. I'll be on the look out for any sort of signs banning the carry of firearms.

I also did not find anything indicating that they had lobbied for or monetarily supported any anti-firearms legislation in the last couple of years.

possumboy

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I also did not find anything indicating that they had lobbied for or monetarily supported any anti-firearms legislation in the last couple of years.

I was confused, it was someone another Northern Virginia organization: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=323&forum_id=54

I did not confirm the links were still good, but it provides the name.

apocryph

imported post

I ride the trail from around mile marker 20 to just past mile marker 16 to and from work most days. I'm curious what clothing and holster you wore. Sometimes I consider wearing my Glock 19 or Kahr PM9, but I can't figure out how the mechanics would work, nor can I find a bike-mounted gun rack for my AR-15 :p

vrwmiller

imported post

I was wearing jean shorts with my Galco Fletch Hi-Ride Belt Holster. Perhaps, on a 23 mile bike ride, biking shorts were in order. My backside and crotch were sore until Monday.