• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Invader Shot in Oregon

LEO 229

imported post

To me.. anyone entering my home while it is occupied must want to cause harmas he or she confronts its occupants.Therefore,it isa threat to me and my family and deadly force is necessary!

The article

PORTLAND, Ore. - Police converged on a home in northeast Portland Friday after a homeowner reportedly shot and injured an intruder.

Police say evidence at the home is consistent with a forced entry and that residents in the home woke up early Friday after hearing breaking glass and someone moving around in an enclosed porch area of the home.

A 71-year-old man in the residence, Leroy Hudson,reportedly fired one shot at the suspected intruder.

The injured suspect, a 26-year-old male, was transported to a local hospital with injuries described as "life threatening." Police said he was shot in the head.

One local resident said he sees "weird people" walking around the area at all hours of the night and is not surprised at the incident.

Oregon law does permit the use of deadly force if a homeowner feels a threat is imminent.

Northeast Glisan Street between 105th and 109th Avenue was closed for several hours while police investigated the incident.

AbNo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
To me.. anyone entering my home while it is occupied must want to cause harm as he or she confronts its occupants. Therefore,  it is a threat to me and my family and deadly force is necessary!

No argument there. My XD stays loaded with 12+1 .40 S&W rounds, with a spare 10-round mag, just in case I can't hit anything from being groggy.

That being said, I should REALLY move my computer.... It's kind of in my line of fire from my bedroom... :shock:

The injured suspect, a 26-year-old male, was transported to a local hospital with injuries described as "life threatening." Police said he was shot in the head.

fpsdoug1ei.gif

:lol:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
To me.. anyone entering my home while it is occupied must want to cause harmas he or she confronts its occupants.Therefore,it isa threat to me and my family and deadly force is necessary!

The article

PORTLAND, Ore. - Police converged on a home in northeast Portland Friday after a homeowner reportedly shot and injured an intruder.

Police say evidence at the home is consistent with a forced entry and that residents in the home woke up early Friday after hearing breaking glass and someone moving around in an enclosed porch area of the home.

A 71-year-old man in the residence, Leroy Hudson,reportedly fired one shot at the suspected intruder.

One local resident said he sees "weird people" walking around the area at all hours of the night and is not surprised at the incident.

Oregon law does permit the use of deadly force if a homeowner feels a threat is imminent.

Northeast Glisan Street between 105th and 109th Avenue was closed for several hours while police investigated the incident.

In the State of Utah...,

..."or surreptitiously or by stealth"...

It doesn't have to be a violent Entry.

---------------------------------------

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=surreptitiously

obtained, done, made, etc., by stealth; secret or unauthorized; clandestine: a surreptitious glance.

acting in a stealthy way.

obtained by subreption; subreptitious.

Utah Code Section 76-2-405

[size=-1]76-2-405. Force in defense of habitation. (1) A person is justified in using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that ...
le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_02025.htm - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

[size=-1]76-2-405. Force in defense of habitation.
(1) A person is justified in using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other's unlawful entry into or attack upon his habitation; however, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if:
(a) the entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner, surreptitiously, or by stealth, and he reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person, dwelling, or being in the habitation and he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence; or
(b) he reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony in the habitation and that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.
(2) The person using force or deadly force in defense of habitation is presumed for the purpose of both civil and criminal cases to have acted reasonably and had a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or serious bodily injury if the entry or attempted entry is unlawful and is made or attempted by use of force, or in a violent and tumultuous manner, or surreptitiously or by stealth, or for the purpose of committing a felony.

Amended by Chapter 252, 1985 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_02025.ZIP 2,215 Bytes

Just my .45

[/size]

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I absolutely agree.

And it is precisely for that reason that , I can never figure out why burglars would ever want to, while making a lot of noise, break into someone's home....at night...while there is someone sure to be home....who might have a....loaded gun!

...Hudson and his wife, Janice, 62, were asleep in their home at Northeast 107th Avenue and Glisan Street at 4:50 a.m. Friday when they heard sounds of a break-in.

According to the couple's son, Walter, Janice Hudson called 9-1-1 to report an intruder, while Leroy Hudson opened the back door and found a man standing outside. Walter Hudson said his father asked the man what he was doing, the intruder began to advance, and Leroy Hudson shot him.

Sgt. Brian Schmautz, spokesman for the Portland Police Bureau, said Sweet's last known address was Auburn, Wash. Sweet was arrested June 8 in Portland on a charge of disorderly conduct....

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2007/06/police_identify_man_shot_by_po.html