Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Are you a cop?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    OK, this was really odd.

    Today I was going about my business and OCing as usual and was asked two separate times if I was a cop.

    The first time I had stopped in a C-store to buy a Diet Dew and some gum before going to work. One of the clerks asked "Who are you hunting today?" The other clerk didn't understand why he asked me that so he pointed out my holstered gun. Then he asked. "Are you a cop?"

    "No."

    "A detective?"

    "No."

    "A sheriff's deputy?"

    "Nope."

    I then proceeded to explain South Dakota gun laws and the process for obtaining a Concealed Pistol Permit and that you don't need one to OC, but you need one to carry in your car. They asked many questions and the manager listened and backed up everything I told them. They had several misconceptions and were a little freaked out about it at first, but were very interested and seemed better about it by the time I left.

    The second was in Hy-Vee grocery.This kid about 18-20 yrs old was looking at me funny and kept moving away from me. His mother approached me and asked the same series of questions. Her last question was "why do you have a gun if you're not a cop?" My answer was "I'm just exercising my Second Amendment rights." That's when she told me her son wasautistic and she was just going to tell him I was a cop because it was easier. I told her that was fine and moved on with my shopping.

    Both were positive experiences and I'm actually glad they both happened because I got to help educate some people about guns and gun laws.

    But tell me, do I really look like a cop?



    I'm just curious because people have opened doors for me and said stuff like "After you, officer."


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Montpelier, VT, ,
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    Yeah, just a little bit. Maybe not the crossdraw but most laymen wouldn't know that that is an unusual carry location for a cop. You're pretty stocky and the shaved head and clean cut look usually means "cop" or "military". Almost all plainclothes cops that aren't wearing a suit that I've seen, dress like you in that photo.

    I get my hair cut to a high and tight once a month for my Marine Corps Reserve drills and I dress a lot like that, I bet if I OCed around town people would have the same reaction.

    Edit: I think that's why it's important to dress and carry yourself well when representing anything you want to be taken seriously. That's why the military and police depts. have dress codes even when out of uniform. Your experiences are a prime example.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    I got mistaken for a cop once; probably more than once, but only one time that I was asked about it.

    I have short hair and all that, and there was a police cruiser parked outside the burger joint. The guy behind the counter gave me a discount, and when I told him he was shorting his register, he said he thought I was a cop. I told him I was not, but he didn't want to unring the sale and let me keep the discount.

    I do not like being mistaken for a policeman. There are two problems with it: First, I don't want someone to assume that I have the authority to help them if something should happen, because I don't. Second, I don't want to keep reinforcing the notion that only cops can carry guns.

    Unfortunately, the Marine Corps brainwashed me into hating the feeling of hair touching my earlobes, so the haircut's not gonna change. Besides, the older I get, the stupider I look with 1980's high school hair. I also don't like facial hair, not for more than a few days, anyway. And I also don't like to get too far out of shape. Add to that my conservative dressing habits for work and jeans w/belt and t-shirt for play and it's hard to avoid the stereotype.

  4. #4
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    If you've ever visited New York City, you'll come awaybelieving that anyone can look like a cop. There, some of the cops look like the guys thatthe cops here are arresting.

    Seriously, I just finished a week in South Dakota. The people were the friendliest I think I've ever encountered as a whole. I carried (mostly lightly concealed, sometimes OCing)the entire time I was there, never much of a glance from anyone.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  5. #5
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    gsh341 wrote:
    But tell me, do I really look like a cop?



    I'm just curious because people have opened doors for me and said stuff like "After you, officer."


    You ever watch "The Shield"?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    cato wrote:
    You ever watch "The Shield"?
    I was thinking the same thing. LOL.

    I have been asked several times.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Memphrica, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    72

    Post imported post

    Sorry, man, but you really look like a lot of the po po in Memphis. Shaved head, big gun...you could probably get a job with Memphis' finest just on looks alone.

    I get the "Sir" thing alot too but I think that it is because I look like a crazy, angry, white man and nobody wants to tick me off. Of course, nothing could be farther from the truth. I am a nice, gentle, kind person who happens to OC with a big .45.



  8. #8
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    Yeah, I agree with previous comments. The photo depicts a certain 'coppishness'. The dark polo, the khakis, the shades- all kinda say po-po.

    I'm not sure that there's a way to not get that first impression while adhering to certain wardrobe standards. I'm certain that a screen print t-shirt would help dispell the notion that you were 'on the job', but you would still need to be careful with the message the shirt had. Can you imagine- walking intopay for gas with your holstered sidearm and a "Git-R-Done" or "I'm with Stupid' t-shirt?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    Can you imagine- walking intopay for gas with your holstered sidearm and a "Git-R-Done" or "I'm with Stupid' t-shirt?
    HA HA HA !!!!!

    That is funny and some what tempting.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    495

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    ...Can you imagine- walking intopay for gas with your holstered sidearm and a "Git-R-Done" or "I'm with Stupid' t-shirt?


    Been there done that.



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    534

    Post imported post

    Why not try wearing Tattersall check shirts , fawn cavalry twill trousers or tan Wranglers,polished ropers or jodphur boots topped off with a civilised haircut and an Aussie stockman's hat ?

    I guarantee that you will never be mistaken for a cop!

    I understand that a more casual dress code prevails here in the USA, but why look like clones? Discard the boring old blue polos and khakis once in a while, maybe?

    I mean all of you good gentlemen no offence here, and you should dress as you see fit, but a little style and individualism will, I feel,prevent you from being mistaken for a LEO.

    2 cents worth from Little Lord Fauntleroy!

    TrueBrit.





  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    TrueBrit wrote:
    Why not try wearing Tattersall check shirts , fawn cavalry twill trousers or tan Wranglers,polished ropers or jodphur boots topped off with a civilised haircut and an Aussie stockman's hat ?

    I guarantee that you will never be mistaken for a cop!

    I understand that a more casual dress code prevails here in the USA, but why look like clones? Discard the boring old blue polos and khakis once in a while, maybe?

    I mean all of you good gentlemen no offence here, and you should dress as you see fit, but a little style and individualism will, I feel,prevent you from being mistaken for a LEO.

    2 cents worth from Little Lord Fauntleroy!

    TrueBrit.



    Ha! Yeah, last weekend at the Burke Lake lovefest I was wearing a cowboy-type hat while carrying, and sure enough, the two park employee clowns who saw did not mistake me for a cop. So they called the cops, instead.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the replies.

    I wear what I wear because I carry at work and I need to look professional, confidentand business-like. I also feel that wearing such clothes while OCing will help prevent misunderstandings by police and business owners and help put them at ease and let any bad guys know I won't be intimidated.

    Think of it as a technician's power suit.

    I guess I'll just have to get used to the questions and use them as an opening for gun rights education.



  14. #14
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    gsh341 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

    I wear what I wear because I carry at work and I need to look professional, confidentand business-like. I also feel that wearing such clothes while OCing will help prevent misunderstandings by police and business owners and help put them at ease and let any bad guys know I won't be intimidated.

    Think of it as a technician's power suit.

    I guess I'll just have to get used to the questions and use them as an opening for gun rights education.

    Try walking around in black face wearing one of danbus' hats and let us know what happens.:what:

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    534

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    TrueBrit wrote:
    Why not try wearing Tattersall check shirts , fawn cavalry twill trousers or tan Wranglers,polished ropers or jodphur boots topped off with a civilised haircut and an Aussie stockman's hat ?

    I guarantee that you will never be mistaken for a cop!

    I understand that a more casual dress code prevails here in the USA, but why look like clones? Discard the boring old blue polos and khakis once in a while, maybe?

    I mean all of you good gentlemen no offence here, and you should dress as you see fit, but a little style and individualism will, I feel,prevent you from being mistaken for a LEO.

    2 cents worth from Little Lord Fauntleroy!

    TrueBrit.



    Ha! Yeah, last weekend at the Burke Lake lovefest I was wearing a cowboy-type hat while carrying, and sure enough, the two park employee clowns who saw did not mistake me for a cop. So they called the cops, instead.
    It distresses me that you had the cops called,I don't suppose you had on the "I support black men with guns" shirt ?

    My next move is to get a "Grouchy old fart with a gun" hat, since the Aussie cattleman's hat will probably have folks mistaking me for a bushranger. Ned Kelly or something similar. But good to see that you look Western sometimes, it beats the preppy look hands down!

    TrueBrit.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •