• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New York City's problems is with illegal guns

possumboy

imported post

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/home.html

What the video of the from the Comissioner about illegal handguns. One of the stories is about a 2 year-old that was killed in a gun fight between gangs. So why aren't they doing more against gangs? How about a Mayors against gangs coalitions?

OH, and it is the fault of other states because that is where the guns come from, not New York.

Put it pulls on the heart strings. Made me go hold the kids a little while, of course, I realize it is people you need to fear, and not the tools they use. But who said logic was part of that mind set.

DT4E31

imported post

NYC's problems are with criminals, pure and simple, not illegal guns. If you bother to follow the news, over a period of years, you will notice some people defending themselves with illegally possessed firearms. Good decent people who are smart enough to realize that they are responsible for protecting their own lives. From the couple of accounts I have read, about the DA ends up charging for the possession of a firearm, but tends not to push manslaughter or homocide, because they know they havent got a pray of getting a jury to convict.

denwego

imported post

The whole situation almost makes you wish another Bernie Goetz would step forward and galvanize the NYC populace against crime again while showing armed law-abiding citizens are a positive force in everyday life. Even at the time, the media painted Goetz as some psycho with a hand-cannon looking for the first "punk to waste," but the man on the street agreed with what he did, and that's the grass-root opinion that gets unconstitutional laws repealed.

DT4E31

imported post

I remember the day the subway vigilante (Bernie Goetz) went into action. Initally the public was very much in support of him. But the media turned on him within days. He was treated like a criminal, worse so than the youths (thugs) who tried to rob him. Bernie lost civil law suits to some of those thugs. Today Bernie is somewhat of a strange bird. I dont care for his politics, vegan, anti drug law etc, but I still think what he did in that subway was the right thing. Oh, I also remember how crime in the subway dropped significantly following the incident.

dh21187

imported post

Plain and simple, Bernie Goetz is a criminal. I used to think he was only defending himself until I read his entire trial court record and subsequentappellate appeal on his conviction for weapons possession. Bernie started off defending himself and then crossed the line. After he eliminated the threat against his life, he shot again out of anger and emotion. The last shots were NOT in self defense, but to teach them a lesson. Those were Bernie's OWN words in the trial, confession, and appeal.

Don't get me wrong, people have the absolute right to defend themselves, but just shooting them out of anger when the threat is gone is wrong.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

dh21187 wrote:
Plain and simple, Bernie Goetz is a criminal. I used to think he was only defending himself until I read his entire trial court record and subsequentappellate appeal on his conviction for weapons possession. Bernie started off defending himself and then crossed the line. After he eliminated the threat against his life, he shot again out of anger and emotion. The last shots were NOT in self defense, but to teach them a lesson. Those were Bernie's OWN words in the trial, confession, and appeal.

Don't get me wrong, people have the absolute right to defend themselves, but just shooting them out of anger when the threat is gone is wrong.
Well pard... reckon y'all never been in that situation.Y'know... sometimes... you've just HAD ENUFF. Criminal? Yeah, well... I reckon that's why NYC is like it is. Fulla limp wristed tea bags that never grew a pair.... 'n never will.

hudson valley

imported post

possumboy wrote:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/home.html

What the video of the from the Comissioner about illegal handguns. One of the stories is about a 2 year-old that was killed in a gun fight between gangs. So why aren't they doing more against gangs? How about a Mayors against gangs coalitions?

OH, and it is the fault of other states because that is where the guns come from, not New York.

Put it pulls on the heart strings. Made me go hold the kids a little while, of course, I realize it is people you need to fear, and not the tools they use. But who said logic was part of that mind set.
KEYWORD- "Illegal"