• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO letter to Alexandria Police Chief Baker requesting action to halt harassment of open carriers

unrequited

imported post

That's great, quick response, and good news for us all in Alexandria. Any way you could put both the initial email and reply into a pdf I could print out and carry/keep in my car?

rebfan

imported post

Mike,

Thanks for the letter and the posting of the response. With that, I would hope the issues of open carry are over in Alexandria.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sweet, thanks Mike!

unrequited wrote:
That's great, quick response, and good news for us all in Alexandria. Any way you could put both the initial email and reply into a pdf I could print out and carry/keep in my car?

Here you go. I just made both into a .pdf

Attachments

• Alexandria.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 189

unrequited

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Sweet, thanks Mike!
unrequited wrote:
Here you go. I just made both into a .pdf
Wonderful. Printed, and this one I will keep in my wallet, since it's the Chief's own words.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Good letter, Mike!

We should send something similar in Georgia, except that just about every place you mentioned is Off Limits to carry by state law . . . :cry:

cato

imported post

BB62 wrote:
unrequited wrote:
Wonderful. Printed, and this one I will keep in my wallet, since it's the Chief's own words.
Just to note - it's not the Chief who responded.

And the letter doesn't say much other then we'll look into training. It's a polite way for him to say thanks for making me write this BS letter. That might be a little harsh on my part. But I'll be impressed when they actually do some training on theabsence of OC laws not the OC laws.

AbNo

imported post

Could've checked it from home.

Or they run 24 hour Ops there....

Still, it's good to see they are (at least in an email) taking things seriously.

Now, let's see if this actually comes about.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Here is the APD Response received this morning:

--------------
In a message dated 7/2/2007 3:21:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Hassan.Aden@alexandriava.gov writes:
Hi Mr. Stollenwerk,

This email is in response to your email dated June 30, 2007.

I wanted to thank you for bringing up potential training issues for our officers regarding how they interact with persons openly carrying firearms within the City of Alexandria. In response to the issues you raised, I am coordinating legal training through our Commonwealth Attorney's Office to provide our staff with legal updates associated with open carry laws.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at 571-221-8503.

Thank you.

Hassan

Captain Hassan Aden
Alexandria Police Department
City Council Liaison
Mobile: 571-221-8503
Office: 703-838-6360 ext. 1274
hassan.aden@alexandriava.gov

Wow, Mike!!! It looks like you have done my work for me. I will keep this post with me always while I am in Alexandria OCing. So, if I am ever harassed again, I will mention Captain Hassan Aden's name to the harassing officer(s) and pull out the post (smile).

I feel honored to be a part of this website and correspondenceof many people who are very knowledgeable about gun laws, and, who care about our 2nd Amendment Rights!! Thank you very much!!

2nd Amendment......Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

DeadCenter

imported post

Mike wrote:

--------------
In a message dated 7/2/2007 3:21:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Hassan.Aden@alexandriava.gov writes:
Hi Mr. Stollenwerk,

I wanted to thank you for bringing up potential training issues for our officers regarding how they interact with persons openly carrying firearms within the City of Alexandria. In response to the issues you raised, I am coordinating legal training through our Commonwealth Attorney's Office to provide our staff with legal updates associated with open carry laws.

Thank you.

Hassan

Captain Hassan Aden
City Council Liaison

Mike -- Thank you!

DC

riegnman

imported post

cato wrote:
BB62 wrote:
unrequited wrote:
Just to note - it's not the Chief who responded.

And the letter doesn't say much other then we'll look into training. It's a polite way for him to say thanks for making me write this BS letter. That might be a little harsh on my part. But I'll be impressed when they actually do some training on theabsence of OC laws not the OC laws.

The good news is that now people in Alexandria will have written proof from Capt. Aden that, at the very least, the dept. was made aware of citizen's intentions and the fact that their are armed citizen's who know the law and aren't afraid to quote it. Also the fact that if someone else is harrassed about practicing their constitutional rights they can take it to a higher level and hold Capt. Aden's feet,(or various other parts of his anatomy),to the fire as to why said training never took place. If the training did take place, then you will know that you have a problem with the officer in question rather than the dept. as a whole.

Cynic

Loudoun County, US 10, VA Sen. 33,Del 32, Virginia
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:

[...] I will keep this post with me always while I am in Alexandria OCing. So, if I am ever harassed again, I will mention Captain Hassan Aden's name to the harassing officer(s) and pull out the post (smile). [...]

I have had a fair amount of this kind of "contact." Much more than half the time when offered the law the cop's response is something along the line of, "I don't want to see whatever you've got."

SOMETIMES they will ask to see it later, especially when they cannot have someone back at the office find it, or they cannot find it after trying.

But, most of the time they don't care, or don't want to show that they don't know.

TrueBrit

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Mike wrote:

--------------
Hi Mr. Stollenwerk,

Thank you.

Hassan

Captain Hassan Aden
City Council Liaison

Mike -- Thank you!

DC

All good stuff, but I want to know is why the cops should need to" interact "with OCers at all! A cursory glance should suffice. "Legal updates?" Has not OC been legal in VA since Nelson was a midshipman? Typical CYAcopspeak gobbledegook!

TrueBrit.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
...SNIP
Has not OC been legal in VA since Nelson was a midshipman? Typical CYA copspeak gobbledegook!

TrueBrit.

Actually, the indigenous people (long before Nelson) were OCing knives and bows, and met arriving Europeans on the beach who were also OCing.

Of course there was an understanding that a quiver could not hold more than a certain number of arrows.:what:

Regards

TrueBrit

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
...SNIP
Has not OC been legal in VA since Nelson was a midshipman? Typical CYAcopspeak gobbledegook!

TrueBrit.

Actually, the indigenous people (long before Nelson) were OCing knives and bows, and met arriving Europeans on the beach who were also OCing.

Of course there was an understanding that a quiver could not hold more than a certain number of arrows.:what:

Regards

Magazine limits on the Red Man and his arrows? It's for the papooses,you know, Hawk!

TrueBrit.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes, yes. Save the papooses.

There was even a tribal group called HAW. (Hundred Angry Warriors). They promoted the first regulations on arrow quiver limits, bow possession and carry restrictions in the villages. These events derailed the development of the machine bow, despite the popularity of the device among the populace. It could shoot 20 arrows per min, and might have turned the tide of European colonization had it come into existence.

The rest is history.

Regards

TrueBrit

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Yes, yes. Save the papooses.

There was even a tribal group called HAW. (Hundred Angry Warriors). They promoted the first regulations on arrow quiver limits, bow possession and carry restrictions in the villages. These events derailed the development of the machine bow, despite the popularity of the device among the populace. It could shoot 20 arrows per min, and might have turned the tide of European colonization had it come into existence.

The rest is history.

Regards

LMAO! You,Sir ,are as cynical as I am.Should have been a Brit!:lol:

TrueBrit.

blk

imported post

Is anyone going to let the rest of us know how the 4th was in Alexandria? Inquiring minds want to know!...or are all of you in the Grey Bar Hotel?:what:

vrwmiller

imported post

blk wrote:
Is anyone going to let the rest of us know how the 4th was in Alexandria?
Yes, indeed. Let us know. I had briefly considered going to Alexandria until I had read many of the posts regarding Alexandria lately.