• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

response from House Leader Beohner re: HR 1022

Legba

imported post

I was pleased to get this response from Rep. Boehner in response to my communication of my disapproval of HR 1022. I thought I'd share... (sorry if the layout is odd, I pasted this and tried to edit)

Dear <real name redacted>:

Thank you for contacting me regarding our Second Amendment rights. It is good to hear from you.

I share your deep concern with the current trend in American politics toward criminalizing gun ownership. During my service in Congress I have been a consistent supporter of the Second Amendment. Unfortunately, many politicians and activists have tried to exploit tragedies like school shootings to advance certain agendas that include marginalizing the very property rights upon which our free republic was founded. While I am certainly alarmed by the recent tragedies that have taken place in our schools, I don't understand how passing further gun control legislation will deter crime when most existing gun laws are barely enforced.

Please be assured that I oppose any further restrictions on our Second Amendment rights and any attempts by certain agenda-driven organizations to diminish the Second Amendment's importance.

Thank you again for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please continue to keep me informed of your concerns.

Sincerely,
John A. Boehner