• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Request for information on audio recorders

Grahf

imported post

In numerous threads I've seen it suggested that open carriers should carry audio recorders with them. I'm not a big audiophile myself so I'm looking for some information about them.

What are the recommended features to look for?

Any particular brands that are good or should be avoided?

Any links to law sites that detail audio recording laws? I believe Virginia is asingle party state as far as recordings go but would like to be sure.

Any information would be appreciated.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I HIGHLY recommend this one:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16873100014

Lightweight, small, 144 hrs(ep) / 11 hrs on XHQ(extra high quality)

AND it connects direct to your PC w/supplied USB cable and has good software for pulling and editing/storing the files.

Unfortunately in PA we are a two party consent state and the LEO are of the opinion that they can record you but not the opposite :( So it is of little use for me while open carrying. But these things have a million uses. Once you have one you'll use it for things you never thought of :)

cato

imported post

I find it hard to believe that any state could prohibit the recording of public officials acting in their official capacity while in a public place; ie: a police officer speaking/ordering/detaining you or a friend in public.

Seems to me this would violate some kind of 1st Amendment press protection. Maybe we should form the OCDO Press Corps and print up press ID cards!

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've never tried this since I don't own an iPod, but Apple sells a microphone for it that turns it into a digital recorder. I've seen them at Best Buy for not that much money.