• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court Opinion life span

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I've found something from a 1840 ALSUPCO case that I consider good information for Alabama folks who would like to OC.....my question is, is this information still "valid" being from so long ago?

[align=center]
THE STATE v. REID, SUPREME COURT OF ALABAMA, 1 Ala. 612; 1840 Ala.
But the court say that it is a matter which will not admit of legislative regulation, and in order to test the correctness of its opinion, supposes one Legislature to prohibit the bearing arms secretly, and a subsequent Legislature to enact a law against bearing them openly; and then asks the question, whether the first, or last enactment would be unconstitutional. Under the provision of our constitution, we incline to the opinion that the Legislature cannot inhibit the citizen from bearing arms openly, because it authorizes him to bear them for the purposes of defending himself and the State, and it is only when carried openly, that they can be efficiently used for defense.
[align=center] [/align] [/align]

cato

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
I've found something from a 1840 ALSUPCO case that I consider good information for Alabama folks who would like to OC.....my question is, is this information still "valid" being from so long ago?

[align=center]
THE STATE v. REID, SUPREME COURT OF ALABAMA, 1 Ala. 612; 1840 Ala.
But the court say that it is a matter which will not admit of legislative regulation, and in order to test the correctness of its opinion, supposes one Legislature to prohibit the bearing arms secretly, and a subsequent Legislature to enact a law against bearing them openly; and then asks the question, whether the first, or last enactment would be unconstitutional. Under the provision of our constitution, we incline to the opinion that the Legislature cannot inhibit the citizen from bearing arms openly, because it authorizes him to bear them for the purposes of defending himself and the State, and it is only when carried openly, that they can be efficiently used for defense.

[align=center][/align]

[/align]

No.Gun rights only operate on a 70 year "Miller" test time frame. Constitutional rights are void were prohibited by law. Nice opinion though.

Seriously, it is valid precedent, unless superseded by a more recent contrary opinion by the same court or a constitutional amendment revision or repeal.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

cato wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
[align=center]
[/align]
No.Gun rights only operate on a 70 year "Miller" test time frame. Constitutional rights are void were prohibited by law. Nice opinion though.

Seriously, it is valid precedent, unless superseded by a more recent contrary opinion by the same court or a constitutional amendment revision or repeal.
If you're saying what I think you're saying, :) this is good yes?

kurtmax_0

imported post

"Constitutional rights are void were prohibited by law."

I almost just fell out of my chair laughing. Probably the funniest thing I've heard all week.

AFAIK, no other ALSUPCO decision has reversed this. (Some lower courts perhaps came to different ruling, I don't quite remember. There are alot of cases :/) If so, than this is the answer. Since it bases it's decision completely on the constitution, and not on a specific state code, than it should still be binding. Section 26 (the RKABA part) of the Alabama constitution hasn't changed at all if I remember correctly....

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
"Constitutional rights are void were prohibited by law."

I almost just fell out of my chair laughing. Probably the funniest thing I've heard all week.

AFAIK, no other ALSUPCO decision has reversed this. (Some lower courts perhaps came to different ruling, I don't quite remember. There are alot of cases :/) If so, than this is the answer. Since it bases it's decision completely on the constitution, and not on a specific state code, than it should still be binding. Section 26 (the RKABA part) of the Alabama constitution hasn't changed at all if I remember correctly....
I thought lower courts had to follow precidents set by higher courts.....does this "just go to show what i have to think with"?:)