• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Loaded or Unloaded

A45PISTOL

imported post

I have OC in many cities and townships throughout Virginia. I have had some LEO's ask me to unload and some just to see my weapon. Is either legal in the Commonwealth of Virginia?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Seems to me that if they want to search your person or inspect your firearm, that you would need to be legally detained -- I have no idea if this is the law though.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A45PISTOL wrote:
I have OC in many cities and townships throughout Virginia. I have had some LEO's ask me to unload and some just to see my weapon. Is either legal in the Commonwealth of Virginia?

Welcome to OCDO!

Yes, it is legal. Its sneaky, but it is legal for them to ask you to unload and/or show them the gun. HOWEVER, you are not required to comply with the request. There is no law requiring you to show them your firearm.There is no law requiring a defensive firearm be unloaded (as opposed to hunting arms in certainsituations.)

They must have areason to detain you before they may seize your weapon,that is to say they must have a reasonable suspicion based on articulable facts thata crime was, is, or is about to be committed.It comes under the heading of the 4th Amendment.Oneoft quoted case is Terry vs. Ohio.

You can seea police "tradepublication" advisory on the subject to start getting some sense of what is going on here: http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=757&issue_id=122005

You can see a summary of Terry vs Ohio here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/search/display.html?terms=Terry%20v%20Ohio&url=/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0392_0001_ZS.html

These are an introduction to the subject. There are a number of nuances to learn about--the subject has been discussed at length on multiple threads on this site. I recommend you research them.

It is very important that you learn what to do and say andhow to say it if you want to stand on your rights. Another good place to learn basicsis www.flexyourrights.com.

Welcome to OCDO!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Good thing I do not live there, my firearm only unloads in one direction -- does the manufacturers warranty cover this?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

If you OC or CC in Vegas with an empty magazine, you will get a verbal bitch slap for toting a proverbial paper weight.

A45PISTOL wrote: