• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleaning your firearms

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I have heard a lot of different opinions and practices of lubricating and cleaning of firearms.

I know people who clean their guns weekly, weather they fire them or not.

I also know people who have fire the same firearm for years without cleaning it once and lubricating it only slightly more often.

Personally, I clean my firearms after every outing, and although the situation has not arose yet, if I did not fire them for more than a few months, I would clean and lubricate them as a precautionary measure and to do a visual inspection.

I am interested in anyone who practices otherwise, maybe I could learn a few tricks from you.

wet_willy

imported post

i use a can of break cleaner on my 1911 after every trip, as long as i have it with me, and then a thorough spray of rem oil. seems to work, and when i disassemble the weapon every few months, there is barely any crud anywhere in the pistol. i use non-chlorinated brakekleen(sp?)

i only use my 1911 most of the time now, and its all stainless. not sure what the brake cleaner would do to other finish's though. never tried.

i also use hoppes no9 when i do the thorough cleanings.

Scheetz

imported post

Not very often. I will after a rough day at the range but other than that just an outside wipe down and a check on my slide to make sure its lubed.

Thats why I love my USPc. :celebrate

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Depends on the weapon/ammo for me....my AR, after every range trip (500 or so rnds per trip on average).... my AK, almost never ( 1-2k rnds between cleaning unless it stops functioning...which has not happened yet)
old mil bolt guns using corrosive ammo, after firing (10 rnds or 100).....22s, I shoot them a lot so I clean them a lot
my carry weapon is cleaned/inspected after every time I use it...that's at least once a month...it is always kept cleaned/lubed for "duty"
I use "FP-10" CLP on all....best stuff I've found.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I met a guy at the range once that told me a story. He said a friend of his was a master marksman (or something like that) and was basically the best shot in any of the local tournaments. He sold one of his best shooting1911's to a new-comer. The new guy took the weapon home and took it apart to clean it. It was filthy. The guy had never cleaned the weapon...ever. As he started getting all the carbon out, pieces started falling apart. Supposedly the crap and gunk in the gun was the only thing holding the pieces together.

I honestly think that's a load of crap. For my pistols, I use hoppes in and around the gun after every range visit, or once a week if I shoot more than once during the week. I don't make it "inspection ready", I just whipe everything down and make sure there's no major build up. I always get the barrel clean with a wet patch, then a brass brush, then a couple more wet and dry patches until I'm not pulling any more crap out. The last thing I do is place a few drops of rem oil in the appropriate spots as described by the gun's manual (one drop for each slide-frame or slide-barrel contact point).

My rifle is a little different, since she isn't shot nearly as often. I clean her as soon as I'm done firing, and then use another product to protect against oxidation/corrosion. If it's been months since I've fired it, I'll try to remember to pull it out during a pistol cleaning, inspect for any rust or the like, then whipe it down and return it to its case.

My theory has always been keeping your weapon in a consistant state. It shoots well when its clean, so keep it clean.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

openryan wrote:
I have heard a lot of different opinions and practices of lubricating and cleaning of firearms.

I know people who clean their guns weekly, weather they fire them or not.

I also know people who have fire the same firearm for years without cleaning it once and lubricating it only slightly more often.

Personally, I clean my firearms after every outing, and although the situation has not arose yet, if I did not fire them for more than a few months, I would clean and lubricate them as a precautionary measure and to do a visual inspection.

I am interested in anyone who practices otherwise, maybe I could learn a few tricks from you.
If I don't shoot with it I automatically oil it Once a week and Properly clean it every 2 weeks. A clean weapon shoots better.

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I clean my XD after every shoot, though she'll function well without any regular cleaning (I like to keep my carry gun clean, you know). I clean shotguns when I feel like it. Rifles using corrosive ammo are cleaned after each shoot, while those that use non-corrosive generally get cleaned every couple shoots.

My father, on the other hand, cleans his muzzleloader after each shoot, but doesn't clean any of his other guns very often at all. He kind of likes it when I borrow them, because they come back cleaner.
[/align]

G27

imported post

I tend to have a "bad" habit of field stripping my gun and detail cleaning it after every trip to the range. I guess it's just that obsessive compulsive side of me. Hell, sometimes I'll just clean my gun if I'm bored. I like her looking as pretty as she can, and all that lint that can build up in the barrel just drive me crazy! ;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I clean it so often due to that if there is a shooting going on around me and I don't fire my shooter I can be "cleared" right away.

Better safe then sorry.

Legba

imported post

Cleaning a gun? You mean wiping the blood off?

But seriously, I tend to laziness and prefer the spray type cleaners for field cleaning. I'm not keen on the full disassembly and minute detailing (I had a bad experience with springs once...) unless it's a used piece I just acquired and I have a question about some component(s). After shooting, just spray it/them down, run patches till they're passably clean, a light oiling, and chuck into storage till next time. I try to cycle each of my pieces to the range every 2 months or so. I use heavy oiling for longer storage - just remember to wipe it off when you do go to use it later if youdo that.

-ljp

gsusnake

imported post

Full field strip and disassembly of the Taurus every time I shoot, followed by a full detail clean. I want it to look brand new.

If I get bored sitting around at home I clean then, too.

Hoppe's #9 followed by CLP.

I also clean the Mosin IMMEDIATELY after shooting it, as I like the mil-surp ammo and it's a pain to clean if you let it sit at all.

molonlabetn

imported post

gsusnake wrote:
Full field strip and disassembly of the Taurus every time I shoot, followed by a full detail clean. I want it to look brand new.

If I get bored sitting around at home I clean then, too.

Hoppe's #9 followed by CLP.

I also clean the Mosin IMMEDIATELY after shooting it, as I like the mil-surp ammo and it's a pain to clean if you let it sit at all.

On my pistols, I at least doa field-strip clean & lube every couple of weeks, whether I've firedthem or not... Especially the ones I carry.

The revolver and lever & boltrifles stay pretty clean regardless, just needing an occasionalwipedown... and scrub the bore & chamber(s) after shooting.

The AK and Mossburg only get cleaned when they absolutely need it (major build-up, or shot corrosive ammo).

They all get a good detail strip & inspection to see if springs & small parts need to be replaced, at least once a year... some more often if I shoot them alot. I just do one or two at a time when I have a couple hours to give proper attention.

OCed H and K

imported post

G27 wrote:
I tend to have a "bad" habit of field stripping my gun and detail cleaning it after every trip to the range. I guess it's just that obsessive compulsive side of me. Hell, sometimes I'll just clean my gun if I'm bored. I like her looking as pretty as she can, and all that lint that can build up in the barrel just drive me crazy! ;)
I have this same problem.

Tomahawk

imported post

I find that if I try to keep a dirty firearm it feels to me as if it's burning a hole in my closet. I have to clean it. Sometimes when I get home from the range it's late and I put off the cleaning until the next day or so, and I have trouble sleeping...