Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Texan For OC

Post imported post

I am from East Texas now transplanted in the DFW area. I am for my right to OC. I would love to see some legislation move forward.:celebrate

Arizonatexan

Post imported post

Hello Carlson1. Welcome to OCDO! This is the very best place on the Internet to learn about OC and get a goodunderstanding of the issues and challenges facing others in open carry states. If you haven't already - I'd like to invite you to join us at TCDL. We are the organization that is fighting for this right in Texas. OCDOwas very instrumental in helping TCDL get off the ground and I encourage you toexplore the various forumsand participate in the discussions here. We look forward to seeing you at TCDL too.

Best regards,

Gary Williams

President, TCDL

http://www.txcdl.org

txopencarry@txcdl.org

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome carson1! Have a good look around, we've got a lot of info here andmany great people. TCDL is a great place to start getting active. Glad you're here.

Post imported post

Hey, Carlson1! Welcome to OCDO! You are the Carlson from TCHLforum, yes?

Post imported post

Arizonatexan wrote:
    Hello Carlson1. Welcome to OCDO! This is the very best place on the Internet to learn about OC and get a goodunderstanding of the issues and challenges facing others in open carry states. If you haven't already - I'd like to invite you to join us at TCDL. We are the organization that is fighting for this right in Texas. OCDOwas very instrumental in helping TCDL get off the ground and I encourage you toexplore the various forumsand participate in the discussions here. We look forward to seeing you at TCDL too.

Best regards,

Gary Williams

President, TCDL

http://www.txcdl.org

txopencarry@txcdl.org

Gary and others thanks for the welcome. Gary I know you deal with a lot of people, but I am also Dr. Carl E. Carlson that joined the TCDL and sent you the "very little" money to help out a little several months ago. Are you moved yet?
    Seburiel thanks also for the welcome and I am the one and the same. I hope that is ok? I try to be nice -really. In case I deleted a post or something don't hold that against me.

Post imported post

It's AWESOME, Carlson! glad to have you here!

(and how could I hold moderatorship against you? that would be likeholdinga traffic ticket against a police officer - just plain ol' wrong. and besides - you haven't deleted anything of mine, or anything)

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

It's time for some TCDL action!

Post imported post

Allow me to add a big Texas 'Yeeha' to that sentiment. Let's kick this pig and get OC legal in the Lone Star state.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The TSRA is not interested (the lobbyist - Alice Tripp) to introduce any open carry next legislative session. Moreover she is not event interested to introduce a bill removing the requirement to conceal for permit holders. She talked to me in person 2 days ago at the Republican convention in Houston and stated it is a non-issue for members. Well, let's make the phone rings.... Maybe they need to hear from us all day..... Also, contact Jim Dark, too! Just call the main number and ask for both of them.

Post imported post

Count wrote:
    The TSRA is not interested (the lobbyist - Alice Tripp) to introduce any open carry next legislative session. Moreover she is not event interested to introduce a bill removing the requirement to conceal for permit holders. She talked to me in person 2 days ago at the Republican convention in Houston and stated it is a non-issue for members. Well, let's make the phone rings.... Maybe they need to hear from us all day..... Also, contact Jim Dark, too! Just call the main number and ask for both of them.
    The problem is that not enough "MEMBERS" have voiced a desire to push for OC of any nature. I have spoken to Alice Tripp and the TSRA President on several occasions about the subject of OC and the answer is always the same....not enough members interested in it. According to what shehas told me in the past, Alice is actually for the idea, but she merely addresses the issues the exec board tells her to address. She has told me on numerous occasions that if we want to push for OC, we need to have as many "MEMBERS" as we can contact the TSRA President, both in writing and by phone,requesting that the TSRA push for OC. I have posted this message in numerous forums in the past but have yet to stir sufficient action from members. Although they admit receiving numerous requests from non-members, only membership gets a voice, so 1st, join then voice your desires.

Doc

Post imported post

OK Carlson1 and all you8 allegedly Texas people - update your profiles so we can count you as Texas memebrs of OCDO - here is how you track the matter:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_us...mp;country=USA

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Ok, then do this.

JOIN TSRA. Seriously, if it's the membership that matters, then become a member and be part of that voice. TSRA has done very good work on other issues, and the best thing you can do is be a member of both TSRA AND TXCDL and TSRA as a MEMBER to sponsor licensed open carry.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Good point. TSRA made enormous progress legislatively the last few sessions.

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    Ok, then do this.

JOIN TSRA. Seriously, if it's the membership that matters, then become a member and be part of that voice. TSRA has done very good work on other issues, and the best thing you can do is be a member of both TSRA AND TXCDL and TSRA as a MEMBER to sponsor licensed open carry.
    Absolutely! The TSRA has a lot of pull with the legislature and could really help with this issue. The problem is, they, like so many other large organizations, tend to take the opinion of the select over that of the majority unless the majority is just overwhelming. The more influential segment do not want OC. They see it as a bad thing for Texas. The only way to get their attention is to get a large number of members pulling for the issue. This means, Join TSRA and voice your opinion in writing. Membership is money to them and money talks. Whether the TSRA ever take on this issue or not, they are a great asset to gun rights in Texas and I encourage everyone to join in support.

Doc

Post imported post

Why is it the state in the Union with the highest capital punishment rate doesn't have OC?
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Alice Tripp stated that all the states that have OC had it on the books for a very long time and none passed OC any time recently.......

Post imported post

Count wrote:
    Alice Tripp stated that all the states that have OC had it on the books for a very long time and none passed OC any time recently.......
    And before states started passing Shall Issue no one had passed it in a very long time.

The real key to immediately doubling or tripling the support is to make the case correctly to the concealed folks.

Many of them BELIEVE in concealed carry (I do) and don't want to open carry, or don't see the point (I do see the point and want to do so.)

Humans are, well, human, and it is tempting for those who haven't thought this throught use precisely the same types of arguments that gun control advocates use to oppose CHLs or any other law allowing more law-abiding citizens to be armed if they so choose.

E.g., it will scare the children; no one needs to do that; your gun makes me nervous; the bad guy will take it from you; the bad guy will shoot you first, etc etc.

The message that must be conveyed first is this:

Concealed Carry is good; so is open carry.

Everyone should have the right to choose and to protect themself and their family.

No one has to be armed. No one has to obtain a CHL. No one has to carry openly.

But which choice to make is best left to each individual.

Post imported post

HerbM wrote:
    Count wrote:
    And before states started passing Shall Issue no one had passed it in a very long time.

The real key to immediately doubling or tripling the support is to make the case correctly to the concealed folks.

Many of them BELIEVE in concealed carry (I do) and don't want to open carry, or don't see the point (I do see the point and want to do so.)

Humans are, well, human, and it is tempting for those who haven't thought this throught use precisely the same types of arguments that gun control advocates use to oppose CHLs or any other law allowing more law-abiding citizens to be armed if they so choose.

E.g., it will scare the children; no one needs to do that; your gun makes me nervous; the bad guy will take it from you; the bad guy will shoot you first, etc etc.

The message that must be conveyed first is this:

Concealed Carry is good; so is open carry.

Everyone should have the right to choose and to protect themself and their family.

No one has to be armed. No one has to obtain a CHL. No one has to carry openly.

But which choice to make is best left to each individual.
    I agree for the most part. There are many out there that have CHL's but never carry or they simply carry it in their car. The vast majority of CHL holders rarely carry on their person, especially on a regular basis. These people are the ones that tend to be against it.

Personally, I prefer to carry concealed when practical, but this is Texas and when the temp passes 100 degrees it is really hard to wear concealment clothing. I have already had to alter my preferred dress just to accommodate the practice, but sometimes it is really hard to do. This is when I opt for open carry (that is, when I am in a location that allows it). But that is just me and I have no problem with those who prefer to OC noregardless the weather.

I also have no personal problem with OC by license only. I understand the position some have regarding it being a given right and I do not dispute that, I only say I could live with OC by license. If it were a vote between licensed OC or unlicensed OC, I would vote unlicensed, but I would be happy with licensed.

Doc

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

A license is a privilege not a right. As aFIRST step I'll take licensed open carry.

Post imported post

Count wrote:
    A license is a privilege not a right. As aFIRST step I'll take licensed open carry.
    Yes, I totally agree.Recently, during a discussion on the matter it was brought up that if Texas went unregulated OC, then the police would naturally start checking out everyone that they saw doing so, and that with a license one can quickly show they are authorized and end the contact and be on their way. I agree that this is the case, but I also say that if enough people do it the police will quickly tire of the practice and come to accept it as a common and legal practice. Just as many opposed CCW when it started and made it a point to pull you from your vehicle, take possession of your firearm and purposely make the encounter as inconvenient as they could, this quickly stopped and now most do little more than ask if you are carrying and where it is located. For the most part, the LEO community here in Texas is pretty quick to adapt and accept such changes, with only a few hard head ones to give the rest a bad name, so I do not see it as a big problem.

The biggest problem with the politicians concerning the idea of OC is the misconceived wild west view so many outsiders still have about Texas. I constantly meet people from other states and especially from other countries that still think all Texans carry large six-shooters and call each other out to settle disputes. They are actually surprised to find out that most of that wild west history did not occur in Texas but in other states and that even today, most other states have more lenient gun laws than we do. But this is the image many have and the fear that many politicians voice concerning legalizing OC today. They fear that it will serve to bolster this misconception. One senator pointed out the widespread media circus over Texas passage of CCW compared to other states before and after. The name Texas associated with gun carry naturally captured worldwide attention where other states did not. A good friend of minein Germany, who I consider a very intelligent and informed person, was not aware that other states allowed gun carry, and was surprised to find out that Texas was actually one of the more restrictive states overall. This just goes to show how the media and screwed up history books have fostered a bad image for Texas in regard to gun carry and why so many oppose the practice of OC today.

While I understand the problem and concerns people have, I still support the idea of OC and continue to work toward securing it one way or another. Understanding the concerns simply allows us insight as to what we need to address in the process.

Doc

Post imported post

A lawyer, who is a major insider in NRA and TSRA, who has helped write all the positive CHL legislation currently in place (and who has many major improvements scheduled for 2009), has previously expressed his concerns like this (my paraphrase):

"Texans enjoy CHL in so many places because they are invisible to the sheeple. If open carry frightened the soccer moms, they would demand that 'somebody do something!', both legislatively and through increased posting of 30.06 notices. The end result could be a net loss to legally armed Texans."

Still, he favors licensed legal carry. He's just expressing a valid concern about its affect, and explaining why many who are deeply involved in CHL legislation will fight OC out of fear.

I favor an Alaska licensing system, but with New Hampshire's restrictions on places off limits (none, except court rooms).

I would accept, as a first step toward that goal, legal open carry for anyone who may legally carry concealed.

I also hope to see one's conveyance --not just automobiles, but any form of conveyance-- be legally established as an extension of the home. This would be for all purposes, not just firearms.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    A lawyer, who is a major insider in NRA and TSRA, who has helped write all the positive CHL legislation currently in place (and who has many major improvements scheduled for 2009), has previously expressed his concerns like this (my paraphrase):

"Texans enjoy CHL in so many places because they are invisible to the sheeple. If open carry frightened the soccer moms, they would demand that 'somebody do something!', both legislatively and through increased posting of 30.06 notices. The end result could be a net loss to legally armed Texans."

Still, he favors licensed legal carry. He's just expressing a valid concern about its affect, and explaining why many who are deeply involved in CHL legislation will fight OC out of fear.

I favor an Alaska licensing system, but with New Hampshire's restrictions on places off limits (none, except court rooms).

I would accept, as a first step toward that goal, legal open carry for anyone who may legally carry concealed.

I also hope to see one's conveyance --not just automobiles, but any form of conveyance-- be legally established as an extension of the home. This would be for all purposes, not just firearms.
    Ask you lawyer why he thinks Texans are such sheeple when the voters in Ohio and elsewhere have demanded and gotten full preemption of UNLICENSED open carry in recent years.

Since you don;t need a license to carry concealed in cars, why need any license to carry openly on foot?

Post imported post

Given the size & population of Texas (cultural diversity also) - probably not going to get unlicensed OC out of Legislature -since the Constitution empowers them to "regulate the wearing". Unfortunate - but perhaps a distinction between CC with a higher bar - no felony conviction, and OC with restoration of civil rights. Since OC is for all practical matters non-existent in Texas- the practice will initially draw alot of attention in public. The practice of OC in Colorado draws very little attention. My own "rookie" OC experience in CO is very judicious, and characterized by alot of preparation, and thought given to how I'm presenting and where I am going. Ofcourse ( reality check), the priority herein is to succeed in getting OC defined as a lawful practice in TEXAS .

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Reference cars I told Alice Tripp to just legalize it period. The concern was that without the "law enforcement safeguards" in place that would have not passed.

Post imported post

Ok - here's the "clincher" : " An ARMED society is a POLITE society". When citizens wear a side-arm in public - they have to leave the "attitude" at home . Start acting "macho" while OC'ing , or strutting around with a "tough guy" persona .... your going to have an encounter with the LEO's. Verbal confrontations are a NO -NO. This is going to be part of the selling of OC to the Texas legislature. Once OC becomes more common practice - Texas society WILL become more "polite".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast