• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Texan For OC

KBCraig

imported post

A lawyer, who is a major insider in NRA and TSRA, who has helped write all the positive CHL legislation currently in place (and who has many major improvements scheduled for 2009), has previously expressed his concerns like this (my paraphrase):

"Texans enjoy CHL in so many places because they are invisible to the sheeple. If open carry frightened the soccer moms, they would demand that 'somebody do something!', both legislatively and through increased posting of 30.06 notices. The end result could be a net loss to legally armed Texans."

Still, he favors licensed legal carry. He's just expressing a valid concern about its affect, and explaining why many who are deeply involved in CHL legislation will fight OC out of fear.

I favor an Alaska licensing system, but with New Hampshire's restrictions on places off limits (none, except court rooms).

I would accept, as a first step toward that goal, legal open carry for anyone who may legally carry concealed.

I also hope to see one's conveyance --not just automobiles, but any form of conveyance-- be legally established as an extension of the home. This would be for all purposes, not just firearms.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
A lawyer, who is a major insider in NRA and TSRA, who has helped write all the positive CHL legislation currently in place (and who has many major improvements scheduled for 2009), has previously expressed his concerns like this (my paraphrase):

"Texans enjoy CHL in so many places because they are invisible to the sheeple. If open carry frightened the soccer moms, they would demand that 'somebody do something!', both legislatively and through increased posting of 30.06 notices. The end result could be a net loss to legally armed Texans."

Still, he favors licensed legal carry. He's just expressing a valid concern about its affect, and explaining why many who are deeply involved in CHL legislation will fight OC out of fear.

I favor an Alaska licensing system, but with New Hampshire's restrictions on places off limits (none, except court rooms).

I would accept, as a first step toward that goal, legal open carry for anyone who may legally carry concealed.

I also hope to see one's conveyance --not just automobiles, but any form of conveyance-- be legally established as an extension of the home. This would be for all purposes, not just firearms.

Ask you lawyer why he thinks Texans are such sheeple when the voters in Ohio and elsewhere have demanded and gotten full preemption of UNLICENSED open carry in recent years.

Since you don;t need a license to carry concealed in cars, why need any license to carry openly on foot?

SANDCREEK

imported post

Given the size & population of Texas (cultural diversity also) - probably not going to get unlicensed OC out of Legislature -since the Constitution empowers them to "regulate the wearing". Unfortunate - but perhaps a distinction between CC with a higher bar - no felony conviction, and OC with restoration of civil rights. Since OC is for all practical matters non-existent in Texas- the practice will initially draw alot of attention in public. The practice of OC in Colorado draws very little attention. My own "rookie" OC experience in CO is very judicious, and characterized by alot of preparation, and thought given to how I'm presenting and where I am going. Ofcourse ( reality check), the priority herein is to succeed in getting OC defined as a lawful practice in TEXAS .

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Reference cars I told Alice Tripp to just legalize it period. The concern was that without the "law enforcement safeguards" in place that would have not passed.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Ok - here's the "clincher" : " An ARMED society is a POLITE society". When citizens wear a side-arm in public - they have to leave the "attitude" at home . Start acting "macho" while OC'ing , or strutting around with a "tough guy" persona .... your going to have an encounter with the LEO's. Verbal confrontations are a NO -NO. This is going to be part of the selling of OC to the Texas legislature. Once OC becomes more common practice - Texas society WILL become more "polite".

DocNTexas

imported post

Basically, the only way Texas will ever reach a point of free open carry is through baby steps in that direction. Too much too fast can actually send it in the wrong direction. A push for relaxing current restrictions on where CHL holders can carry is the first step, with a push for licensed open carry mixed in. As a concession we can get the lessor of the two, i.e. the removal of the current restriction. Then we focus on licensed OC by pushing for free OC at the same time. Again, the lessor of the two being the target. Once that is secured, then focus on free OC. While each step will be harder and harder to attain, it is more likely to occur with slow deliberate steps than by going straight for the grand prize. Also, it gives the sheeple time to become accepting of the notion a piece at a time.

Either way, gaining unlicensed OC in Texas will be a very hard and arduous task at best, but I feel it is possible with patience and persistence. I fought long and hard for CHL's and certainly do not want to lose ground there. I am now working on open carry and realize it will not happen tomorrow, but feel it can happen if we remain diligent and play our cards right. In the 80's I was told Texas would never have CHL's but within 10 years it was a reality. It may well take another 10 years to get OC, but it is possible and I will take it in 10 years, if that is what it takes,rather than never. So, hope for tomorrow but prepare for 10 years and no matter what, never give up the quest. We'll get there some day guys.

Doc

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Doc and others,

2008 is a political year. Does anyone have any rural / semi-rural (an acre or two) property that could host an Open Carry Rally, BBQ, & Fundraiser? We should invite all of the local politicians that could help us (state reps, senators, sheriffs, constables, etc). They are elected officials and, if like-minded, would be able to receive donations from the attendees. Members of the legislature could be lobbied to support and/or to carry open carry legislation in the coming session. Those that don't show up or responded that they oppose beneficial CHL changes and open carry could be identified and opposed. Those who are with us should be supported.

Any takers? Sadly I live in the city without enough space to host such a function. I will gladly attend (given enough advance notice) and bring my checkbook, however. :)

SA-TX

DocNTexas

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
Doc and others,

2008 is a political year. Does anyone have any rural / semi-rural (an acre or two) property that could host an Open Carry Rally, BBQ, & Fundraiser? We should invite all of the local politicians that could help us (state reps, senators, sheriffs, constables, etc). They are elected officials and, if like-minded, would be able to receive donations from the attendees. Members of the legislature could be lobbied to support and/or to carry open carry legislation in the coming session. Those that don't show up or responded that they oppose beneficial CHL changes and open carry could be identified and opposed. Those who are with us should be supported.

Any takers? Sadly I live in the city without enough space to host such a function. I will gladly attend (given enough advance notice) and bring my checkbook, however. :)

SA-TX

I don't even see that it needs to be a rural location. In fact, it would probably be better to have it in town for political attendance. The easier it is for them to get in and out the better. If your thought was open carry at the event, if it is a closed event (i.e. not opento thepublic) then open carry is legal (i.e. property under your control). Personally, I would say don't open carry at the event in order to show we abide by the current laws even though we oppose them but make sure everyone there addresses the issue of OC and other pro changes. I would certainly attend, as well.

Doc