• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Laws do you carry with you?

Scheetz

imported post

Search didnt exactly reveal what I was looking for.

So, I am curious to know what your information sheet looks like that is stuffed in your wallet or just in your pocket? I realized its smart to do this since I do not always drive. I have the laws in a packet in my car, but when friends drive and what not they are not with me.

A link to the sections you are carrying or a copy of the paper you use would be most excellent.

Thanks,

:monkey
:quirky

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I don't carry anything.

Reasons:
1) Not my job. LEO should know the laws they are voluntarily choosing to enforce.
2) If an LEO tries to arrest me for open carrying, he is enforcing a law that doesn't exist or he doesn't understand. He is not going to care about my paper.
3) An LEO would be a total idiot to believe anything I hand him on a paper while being detained or arrested. So what good is it?
4) If the officer is cool, just uninformed, and is not being a bully I will discuss the law with him verbally and he can then check with superiors, etc if he chooses.
5) Having the paper pre-prepared to hand to confronting LEO sets the tone that you were "expecting" a visit from the LEO and is likely to put said LEO in a less favorable attitude.

JMHO. Also, keep in mind that I am only a "wannabe" after all...

rabbit994

imported post

Zero, I don't carry driving laws with me while I drive because I expect those in charge of enforcing them to either
A. Know the law
B. Have reference to such laws if they don't know them
C. Have someone who knows said laws and would consult them before taking action.

Do you expect to require you have technical documents available when your IT guy comes to fix your computer?

vrwmiller

imported post

I have the VA Gun Laws PDF NSL posted earlier in the visor in my vehicle and it stays there; I use it for my own reference, it's not there to educated uneducated LEO when I have an encounter. I carry no laws on my person.

unrequited

imported post

I carry a copy of BobCav's laws in my glove compartment... it's handy for giving to people who are unsure about the laws of carry (given a copy to a Friday's bouncer & that Fairfax Cop at the BBQ). I don't carry any laws on my person, but I should at least memorize the pertinent code heading #'sso that they can look it up quick when they call it in just for my convenience.

Loquinho

imported post

I took a business card holder and on one side I put my CHP, on the other I folded all the pertinent laws I'd like to have with me, as much for my review when needed as for encounters I might find myself in with police officers. That business card holder then gets sandwiched in my wallet. I keep:

1. A quick guide of places off limits to carrying
2. restaurant carry laws18.2-308
3. Church property 18.2-283
4. Metro rules as per a letter from '02 to a Mr. Rudolph DiGiancinto
5. State park & national forest carry 4VAC5-30-200 & 4VAC15-40-60
School property 18.2-308.1
6. Along highway 15.2-1209.1
7. Duty to inform officer 18.2-308.H

I hope that helps.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
unrequited wrote:
I carry a copy of BobCav's laws in my glove compartment...
Wow. Id didn't know BobCav was a legislator!
;)
:p
He's also running for President... under the TOGA Party!. > )
I am NOT a legislator, nor a lawyer, nor a politician. But I am running for President! And if I don't like anyone else on the ballot, I'm writing myself in!

LEO 229

imported post

For those that decline or refuse to carry any of the laws or letters...

There is nothing more humiliating than for a citizen to know the law better than the LEO. The LEO is "expected" to know all the laws but this is just not possible.

People will BS you if they think you do not have a clue. But when you pull out the 411 and show them. They stop dead in their tracks. What can you really do once you have verified the text is in fact legit.

Now... some LEOs have the best intent and simply.. Just did not know. Obviously, it is not your job to teach the LEO but think of it this way....

If you spend a few moments glossing over the stuff he NEEDS to know that was not taught in the academy or he forgot... He will likely talk about it to his co-workers educating them too.

Now that he knows for sure and did not forget to take the time to look the stuff up on his own...He is less likely to be problematic.

rabbit994

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
For those that decline or refuse to carry any of the laws or letters...

There is nothing more humiliating than for a citizen to know the law better than the LEO. The LEO is "expected" to know all the laws but this is just not possible.

People will BS you if they think you do not have a clue. But when you pull out the 411 and show them. They stop dead in their tracks. What can you really do once you have verified the text is in fact legit.

Now... some LEOs have the best intent and simply.. Just did not know. Obviously, it is not your job to teach the LEO but think of it this way....

If you spend a few moments glossing over the stuff he NEEDS to know that was not taught in the academy or he forgot... He will likely talk about it to his co-workers educating them too.

Now that he knows for sure and did not forget to take the time to look the stuff up on his own...He is less likely to be problematic.
My encounter with Manassas and my talks with PWCPD (all positive) show that any carrying of laws will not matter. Many cops are not going to trust any piece of paper show at the scene. What is more likely to make a difference is asking if this is detainment and if it is, shutting my trap and demanding a lawyer.

LEO 229

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
My encounter with Manassas and my talks with PWCPD (all positive) show that any carrying of laws will not matter. Many cops are not going to trust any piece of paper show at the scene. What is more likely to make a difference is asking if this is detainment and if it is, shutting my trap and demanding a lawyer.

Oh. I agree... But you have the code section so they can look it up in the book to see for themselves... ;)

Your just showing them what they will be looking up. Obviously anyone can edit the text of a code and print it out. It is simply helping them find the right one that benefits you.

ChinChin

imported post

Found a nice little card that I keep with me and have only used one time for an LEO I got a "bad vibe" from. At first he wouldn't take it (I kept it in a small credit card pull out which came with my wallet.)

I took it out with my License and when I handed it to him, he told me to only hand him my license. So I held it in front of me, facing him and for every question thereafter, I pointed to the card. He knew perfectly well what it was, but wanted me to think by not accepting it, that I couldn't invoke my rights.

Silly Officer!

The Card: http://legalrightscard.com/printable.html

LEO 229

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Found a nice little card that I keep with me and have only used one time for an LEO I got a "bad vibe" from. At first he wouldn't take it (I kept it in a small credit card pull out which came with my wallet.)

I took it out with my License and when I handed it to him, he told me to only hand him my license. So I held it in front of me, facing him and for every question thereafter, I pointed to the card. He knew perfectly well what it was, but wanted me to think by not accepting it, that I couldn't invoke my rights.

Silly Officer!

The Card: http://legalrightscard.com/printable.html

Interesting card.... Never seen anyone hand me one yet. Maybe citizen will get his chance.. ;)

Not a bad thing to have when the bad LEO starts telling you your breaking the law while you OC.

Say nothing and hand that card over.I would think "Is this guy f-ing kidding me? Guess I will not get anywhere with this guy."