• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Justice: Done

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

A DVO and three bucks will get you a cafe latte at Starbucks...

Man Killed by Father-in-law

Monday, Jul 02, 2007 - 04:54 PM Updated: 05:25 PM

A man is dead after breaking a restraining order filed against him by his estranged wife. It happened in Laurel County late Sunday night.

Kentucky State Police say when Jesse Justice Jr. showed up with a machete at his wife's home his father-in-law shot and killed him.

Police reports show Justice had a history of domestic violence and an assault charge. His wife Edna Whitworth and her family had recently filed an domestic violence order against Justice that required he stay 500 ft away from her. The order did had not stopped Justice in the past.

Jail records show Justice, 46, was recently arrested for violating a domestic violence order three times. He was released from jail on May 16th for that offense. Sunday night DVO did not stop Justice once again-relatives say it was a good thing Edna's father was there.

"...He didn't expect to find Paul<Edna's father> there he expected to find Edna and the children and he got a surprise Paul was in the house," Charlotte Barnett, a relative of the Whithorths said.

Barnett says if Mr. Whitworth had not been at home she believes Justice would have killed Edna.

State police say no charges have been filed against Mr. Whitworth though the case will be presented to a grand jury.

ETA (BHHAC): http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2007-07-02-0009.html

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I think it was justified.... was this guy actually threatening them though, or did he just knock on the door with a machete and got shot on the spot?

A little more info would help.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
I think it was justified.... was this guy actually threatening them though, or did he just knock on the door with a machete and got shot on the spot?

A little more info would help.

Good questions. Here is some more reporting.

Justice was noPrince Charming...

Father kills daughter's husband
SAYS MAN THREATENED TO KILL HER
By Bill Estep
BESTEP@HERALD-LEADER.COM

LONDON --
A father trying to protect his daughter shot and killed her abusive, estranged husband after the man barged into the daughter's mobile home with a machete.

When Jesse R. Justice Jr. waved the big knife in the small living room and vowed to kill everyone, the father, Paul Whitworth, had nowhere to run and no choice but to defend himself, Whitworth said yesterday.

Whitworth shot Justice three times with a derringer.

"He had me hemmed. I didn't have no time to do nothing" except shoot, said Whitworth, still visibly upset hours later.

"It's a sad situation. I hate it, but it could have been my daughter" hurt or killed instead, said Whitworth, 62, who works at a London dairy.

The shooting happened about 11:30 p.m. Sunday at the home of Edna Whitworth a few miles west of London. Justice, 46, died quickly after being hit in the chest with three .410-gauge slugs, said Laurel County Coroner Doug Bowling.

Police were still investigating the shooting yesterday, with state police Detective Mark Allen as the lead officer. Police will give their findings to Commonwealth's Attorney Danny Evans, who will most likely present the evidence to a grand jury for a decision on whether to indict Whitworth, said Trooper Don Trosper, a spokesman for the state police.

However, Trosper said it seemed apparent Justice came to Edna Whitworth's house to harm her.

Justice had parked at a nearby baseball field and walked to the mobile home, an indication, perhaps, that he didn't want his car at the scene, Paul Whitworth said.

"He had in mind killing her or something, I don't know," Whitworth said.

Justice had a bad temper and a history of abusing Edna Whitworth, 35, according to court records. In June 2003, she reported that Justice had beaten her with his fists and threatened kill her and her mother, Mellie, with a baseball bat.

Police charged Justice with fourth-degree assault and with misdemeanor marijuana cultivation after finding four pot plants in buckets in the yard.

In November 2005, Paul Whitworth filed a motion to have Justice evicted. Justice had beaten Edna Whitworth; her father wanted him to be ordered to leave and take all his belongings with him, including his chickens, Whitworth said in a court document.

In March, Edna Whitworth told police she had an argument with Justice after she refused to take him to Clay County to buy cocaine. She said Justice choked, slapped and hit her, and stomped on her stomach and face.

Her mother said in a separate statement that Justice had threatened to kill everyone in her family, and that if he was in jail he would get someone else to do it. Justice also had threatened to burn her home and others, Mellie Whitworth said.

Police charged Justice with fourth-degree assault. Justice was ordered to stay away from the Whitworths -- an order still in effect Sunday night -- and had to go into a drug rehabilitation center, Paul Whitworth said.

Paul Whitworth lives just behind his daughter. He had stayed with her before to protect her, and, with Justice's stay at the rehab center over late last week, planned to stay with her Sunday night, he said.

He had his small pistol and three bullets.

The confrontation happened after Edna Whitworth left to take her two children to her parents' house. Justice came through the unlocked front door without warning, Whitworth said.

"He said, 'I'll kill every ------- one of you,' " Paul Whitworth said.

It wasn't clear his first shot hit Justice, so he fired all the slugs he'd brought. His derringer is a two-shot model, Whitworth said; he apparently reloaded and fired the third shot, though he seemed unclear about that.

Edna Whitworth said she and Justice had been together more than seven years. They have a 6-year-old son.

The couple married in December 2005 despite earlier problems. Asked why, Edna Whitworth talked of victims of domestic violence getting trapped.

"Sometimes they have all the control," she said of abusers.

Her father had seen Justice beat her and had pleaded with him at times to leave her alone, she said.

Justice's family is angry over the shooting and questioned why Whitworth had a gun, but it would have been foolish not to have some protection, Whitworth said.

But he doesn't care if the police give back his gun, and hopes he never needs it again.

"That'd be my prayer," Whitworth said.

Whitworth is a humble, kind man who was placed in a tragic situation, said his pastor, David Sargent of Liberty Baptist Church.

"Paul is a fine citizen of Laurel County, a fine father and husband and grandfather, and a fine church member," Sargent said.

"My daddy did not have a choice," said Edna Whitworth.

http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/114047.html

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Well, that does clear things up a bit!

Thanks for the follow up info -- you do good reporting, ever think of being an anchor?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Maybe Ron Burgandy?, this way everyone will know you must have stellar reporting skills.

You could also use my girlfriend as you avatar, she has several poses -- not just this one -- no one trick pony here LOL.

TrueBrit

imported post

I will hazard a large bet that the father who shot this quoirboy will have no charges filed against him,and that is exactly how things work in KY.Rough justice, maybe, but very proper in the circumstances, IMHO.Anyone fancy a wager?

TrueBrit.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
I will hazard a large bet that the father who shot this quoirboy will have no charges filed against him,and that is exactly how things work in KY.Rough justice, maybe, but very proper in the circumstances, IMHO.Anyone fancy a wager?

TrueBrit.

I would side with you on this bet -- especially since this astranged husband, was in violation of an order of protection. This gives fuel to the fathers actions.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Is it just me, or is it really ironic that the guy's name is "Justice"? It seems like that's exactly what he got!

kurtmax_0

imported post

Wait. Some guy with prior violent criminal convictions and a restraining order shows on your doorstep with a machete. And you don't shoot him why?

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shot with a .410 Derringer... So I go looking for one of these. Yep, Bond Arms. All kind of calibers. I don't know if this was the "item of choice" in the article. Looks kinda cool. I read that the recoil is a bit much with the .410.

Mini14

imported post

I for one refuse to accept the following mentality .'Because it'snot a gun, it is not a weapon.' Murder was here long before the AK47 was concieved, only 40% of U.S. murders involve guns.

The girl's father did right. As for the perp, he should have gotten help for himself; said perp alone is responsible for his own fate.