• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First-time OC today.... No events.

AbNo

imported post

For you tl;dr folks (too long; didn't read), short version...

Two guys, 6'4", one ~200 pounds with a 4" bi-tone XD40, the other ~250, with a FEG PA63, in Harrisonburg, VA.

Valley Surplus, Rt 42 just North of downtown - No reaction from a mother and child, no reaction from store clerk.

HESS gas station, downtown H'burg - Clerk noticed, worried a moment, calmed after casual conversation him.

20 minutes BSing in the HESS parking lot, no one noticed, commented or looked.

Fireworks tent, Walmart on Route 42: No problems. Good conversation with two workers there. Stares from one worker.

Dollar Tree: Sheeple with blinders. No one saw anything. Girl at the counter was cute.

And, the long version, for those of you who have all the time in the world. :D

So, I got off work this morning, (no carry because I lack a CCW, and OC by staff in a hotel just plain looks bad....) stopped by the DMV to get a new change of address card for my driver's license, and to update my voter reg.

Stopped by the CoOp here, and checked to see if I could find a holster that would fit both my XD, and a decent sized 1911. A half-arsed search found that to an extent, a holster for an XD will hold a 1911, but the muzzle protrudes a bit. :(

Still got the XD holster anyway, because, well, I needed one. Dennis, the guy at the gun counter (whom I've had great conversations with in the past), also answered a few good questions for me, like what a pancake holster is. No newb jokes please, we've all got to find out some time.

Took my holster, and two free paper targets (Good customer bonus :D )home, got some much needed rest, and called my buddy Shayne. We both had a couple of errands to run, namely picking up fireworks and a couple of ammo cans.

When he got there, I had my XD loaded, with a spare mag in the holster (no reason to do things half-assed). I looked at him and said "Do you want to OC?"

He's a pretty daring guy, but he's not foolhardy. After pulling up OCDO, and showing him a couple of the statutes, he agreed. Turns out he had exactly 8 rounds left in his box of ammo. :lol:

Valley Surplus, Route 42 just North of downtown: No problems. There was an older woman in the store with a ten-ish year old boy, no comments, I doubt they even noticed. The guy behind the counter seemed a little annoyed, but after talking to him a minute or two, I get the feeling it was past time for him to go home. :lol: I'm pretty sure he noticed, but didn't care. Or didn't care to say anything.

HESS, downtown H'burg: Had to go by here because a friend didn't know this place doesn't take checks. Clerk noticed and was momentarily worried (comparatively bad neighborhood), but calmed pretty much instantly, since we were there to pay a friend's tank of gas after he found out they don't take checks. Casual conversation smoothed things over completely.

After paying for someone else's gas, :quirky the three of us were standing in front of the gas station, chatting idly. No passersby noticed. Nothing happened. Though Brandon (rescuee) did laugh at the line I has used when we arrived... "I heard you needed backup." :lol:

(And before you gripe, there was no one around, and we were outside when I said that...)

Fireworks Tent, Walmart on Route 42: No problems. Good conversation with two workers there. One woman behind the cashier table kept staring at me with a.... vacant look on her face. I just smiled happily, nodded, and said "Hello" to her everytime she lifted her gaze from my XD to my face. The older gentleman that worked there was completely unphased. I think I smelled WW2 on him, but I couldn't be sure. A guy in his early 30's was a bit suprised, especially when I commented I could OC without a license, but I couldn't buy bottle rockets, roman candles, or those little paper tanks for the 4th. :quirky But, he was helpful just the same, and made a few recomendations, and helped me decipher their 3 digit codes of colors, sounds, lights.

Dollar Tree, Walmart on Route 42 Parking Lot: Decided to run into Dollar Tree as long as we were there, to see if anything useful would be found. A women in their late 40's, and three late high school/precollege kids. Clerk was very nice, despite being hit on by two guys in a row, (she was cute :lol: ) and never made a comment/second glance at either gun.

All in all, a pretty uneventful run. I must pay more attention to my surroundings than most, because no one said a thing, and only two people noticed. One a gas station clerk, the other after it was largely pointed out to him.

Quote of the day:

Me (after being unable to buy ground spinners, bottle rockets, roman candles, or paper tanks): Remind me why I live in this state again?

Shayne: Because of this.... *points to his holster*

Me: Good point...

Oh, and Danbus, I also told him about your Norfolk incident. He said "Wow, someone's getting paid." :lol:

Edit: Clarify a statement before people complain.
Edit: Grammar. I writed good the first times.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I am glad that your first experience was a positive one AbNo!

What finally prompted you to OC?

By the way, come out to Indiana, we can OC, and our fireworks are pretty good :monkey

AbNo

imported post

openryan wrote:
I am glad that your first experience was a positive one AbNo!

What finally prompted you to OC?

Well, I could say having the right to, but I'll go ahead and give you guys credit. :celebrate