• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How well did Norman Borden do in the his self-defense event?

How did Norman Borden do?

• Borden caused the escalation of the event by brandishing his gun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Borden's first 5 shots were self-defense, the last 9 shots were unnecessary.

• Borden should have gone inside his home after brandishing his gun in the first encounter with the ga

• Borden had history with the thugs. He engineered the event so that he could shoot them to show them

• Borden murdered two men. He just got off is all.

• Borden does not understand the saying "Discretion is the better part of valor."

• I endorse Borden's actions pretty much entirely--I would have done the same thing.

• I don't think Borden did well at all--I would have avoided his mistakes.

• Norman Borden is hosed. He lost his freedom for many months, his dogs were killed, his house is abou

• Total voters

Marco

imported post

attachment.php

sccrref

imported post

Some points I did not see brought up. (1) Florida had recently enacted the stand your ground law. No need to legally hurry home. Not to metion who would be stupid enough to come back looking for someone they knew was armed with a gun. (2) Previously discussed to great length on this forum, LEOs are not required by law to defend or protect an individual. (3) It was not noted how they were approaching him in the jeep other than they had bats and he believed one of them to have a gun, so he may have been justified deadly force based on they were trying to run him over with the jeep. (4) If he ran home, they may have known where he lived, who says the same result would not have happened at his house? (5) Not being there, I do not know what happened <if anything> by the thugs that may have caused Borden to stillfear for his or other's lives.

I do not agree with all that he did but I feel he did what he needed to do to protect himself. He was alive at the end of his shift. I would gladly <maybe not gladly> spend some time in jail vice eternity in a coffin.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

sccrref wrote:
...he did what he needed to do to protect himself. He was alive at the end of his shift. I would gladly <maybe not gladly> spend some time in jail vice eternity in a coffin.

1742995.jpg

I wonder how ole Norman is doing today. I wonder where he lives? Works? Hangs out? Walks his new dogs?

Other people are probably wondering too...:uhoh:

Although, I must say my assessment of Borden's capabilities has gone up since I saw this:

1743044.jpg

:what::what::what::what::what:

spurrit

imported post

openryan wrote:
The second set of 9 shots -- were these shots taken while the gang members were in front of him, or were they retreating during this time, anyone know?

Seems like he had enough reason to firearm them -- I would have aquitted him, but I am wondering, did he walk a little faster to get home after the first encounter, or just do his normal thing and could care less if they came back cause he was armed.

Personally, I would have gotten home as fast I could have after they left and called the police. If three people are coming back, I do not want to be there, even if I am armed. Not trying to be a sissy boy :) -- but I would rather make sure I am safe in the comforts of my home and have the police go deal with this type of scum.

"There's plenty of time to be tough when you're out of sight."

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It doesn't sound like the best of neighborhoods. Should a citizen call the police every time someone yells at them? What do you think LEO response time is to that type of call in that type of neighborhhod?
He did fine. I hope he puts this behind him and has a good life.
As for the veiled threat of the aggressors' friends coming after him - I also hope he stays well armed.

spurrit

imported post

It's actually a good thing to at least speak with an officer to document it when someone is threatening or harassing you. Even if they aren't arrested for criminal intimidation, if you are ever forced to defend yourself, you have documentation that you tried to use proper channels to resolve the problem.

Right now, I have a convicted felon for a neighbor, who's always trying to start something. Since I wanted something done, but didn't want to pull an officer off of something more important, I simply went to the city's website and sent the Chief of Police an E-mail detailing who I am, where I live, who my neighbor is, and where he lives, citied specific intances and exactly what happened.

Result? The Chief of Police sent an officer by to speak with me and let me know my neighbor would be one of his "special projects". We agreed that a restraining order would most likely just escalate the situation. The officer also got to see how much my dog hates my neighbor, but gets along with other people, which didn't look good for the neighbor.

The officer and I also ended up spending an hour or so drinking cokes and looking at my knives, guns, and gunleather. I NEVERsaidanything aboutshooting the neighbor, and wouldn't suggest it. I DID mention my physical disabilities, and disparity of force, and left it at that.

adam40cal

imported post

I live in a city a lot like what this man did, and I can tell you first hand that when those thugs came back they intended to kill him. I feel he had every right to be on that street to walk his dogs, this is America we don't need permission to go for a walk. As far as trying to get home in a hurry after the first encounter how was he to know they'd come back? A lot of times they will run their mouth and you'll never see them again, but this time they came back with the intent of (what the thugs say) take him out. When you have a 3 on 1 situation when the 3 are armed with bats they'd get every round I had in my gun till the threat was over. I have myself thought I was gonna need to draw my gun when I had a guy determined I was gonna give him money. He said you can give it to me or I'm gonna take it; while he was reaching in his pocket which I could tell was a knife from the printing. There was noway I was gonna let this punk take anything from me. I simply informed him I was armed and if he came any closer I would be forced to defend myself. As soon as he said you can give it to me or I can take it I moved back about 25 feet to give me time to draw my pistol. Once he realized this dude will shot me he threw his hands in the air and walked away swearing I never seen the guy again.

So what I'm trying to say is you don't know what a person will do. They could just be running their mouth or fully intent to hurt or kill you. 3 on 1 are bad odds and I feel he did the right thing.

CoresM

imported post

Why should you be pissed off? You don't know anything about what's going on or what went on. Don't stick your nose into what dirt you don't know. Get your facts first.

UtahJarhead

imported post

CoresM wrote:
Why should you be pissed off? You don't know anything about what's going on or what went on. Don't stick your nose into what dirt you don't know. Get your facts first.
*psst!* This thread is a year and a half old...