Thread: Open Carry Stories: Reactions from random people in public

Post imported post

Standing in line at the bank, eating at a restaurant, or just walking through a strip mall. On many occasions I've had people come up to me and provide both positive and negative feedback with regards to me OCing.

I have several stories I could tell, but this happened to me yesterday and I have to share. I wouldlove to hear other stories.

Yesterday, I was standing in line at my bank with about 20 other people waiting to reach a teller. All of sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to thelady who joined line behind me. She said, "Thank you for carrying a firearm. I feel so much more comfortable." I explained to her that it was my pleasure and anecessity for my own safety. She then proceeded to tell me the following story.

2 years ago her sister broke up with her boyfriend and needless to say he didn't take it very well. He started threatening her andstalking her on a regular basis. So shegot a restraining order and bought a firearm. She took a few training classes and learned how to shoot. A few months passed with no real problems and the sister thought that the ex-boyfriend had finally gotten over the break up. Her roommate convinced her that she didn't need the firearm anymore, so she sold it to a friend. One week later the ex-boyfriend broke into the house in the middle of the night and stabbed her sister 120+ times. Her sister never had a chance.

As she was telling me the story I could see her tears welling-up and I felt my own start to come. She thanked me again for OCing and then I heard the "BING" from the teller, that was ready to help me.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Unfortunate that incident (her sister) had to happen. Sounds like you had a really positive encounter, hopefully some people inline overheard you two and thought about responsible firearms ownership.

Post imported post

Keepandbear wrote:
    As she was telling me the story I could see her tears welling-up and I felt my own start to come. She thanked me again for OCing...
    Every woman who has to get a restraining order for this kind of situation should consider getting armed and capable of defending themselves against a murderous attack. The cops will almost never protect the woman. They'll just come to take the report....

Good encounter. Thanks for sharing it, Keepandbear.

Post imported post

Had some freshman college students take photos of me with their digital camera. I thought it was hilarious, they tried to be sneaky about it. I regret not telling them that I will pose with them if they want.

Would have been a great conversation starter but I was not interested in the two of them.

Post imported post

Poor family, I hope justice is served on that criminal.

Post imported post

Well, one of my friends, an ex-gf, is turning 21 in a couple of months and wants a gun. :what:

Thankfully, we're on good terms.

She did ask me to take her gun shopping, though.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.