• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Erie

steveforopen

imported post

Hello,

I post here infrequently, but would like to chronicle where I openly carry my firearm in Erie, Pennsylvania. As some of you may remember, I recieved a poorly written email from the Sheriff of Erie saying that I might get "laid out on the ground" if I openly carry my firearm. However, I do believe that most times I carry will be a non-event. I carry a Walther P99 .40 AS in a Fobus OWB at four o'clock.When I have black on, you barely notice it.

Yesterday: Went to Patti's Pizza in Millcreek -- no issues, delicious pizza and friendly customers. No problems. Went to Country Fair gas station afterwards, bought a Snickers bar. Not even a glance, just the way it should be. :D

steveforopen

imported post

OC'd at Waldameer Park and WaterWorld for their pre-July 4th fireworks show. No problems -- one backwards glance from a father with his kids, but he seemed to mellow out when he realized I was just there to enjoy the show :cool:

steveforopen

imported post

OC'd today to Bob's Gun Shop in Mckean. Great place with good prices, friendy customer service. Sign on front door: "Feel free to carry in our shop, however do not unholster firearm." No problems, justfriendly display-shoppin'.

OC'd at Country Fair off Zuck Road, no problems just un-eventful jaunt to get a soda :cool:

KpaxFAQ

imported post

Great to hear steve as I am also an Erie PA resident who has yet to open carry or even see anyone else open carry. Its nice to see no one's head exploded at the sight of a firearm lol. Keep up the good work. I hope to join your ranks once I get my hands on a good OWB rig.

steveforopen

imported post

OC'd at Patti's Pizza again in Millcreek with a few buddies, I was the only one open carrying but not the only one armed. Sat with pistol facing door, in jeans and a white t-shirt. No problems, just a little rubbernecking but nothing serious. If any of ya'll get up to Erie, this is probably the best place in town for quality and price.

OC'd at Beer and Pop Warehouse on penninsula, wasn't quite sure but felt like I was being followed around the store while I shopped with friends by a guy a year or two younger than I am. Tried to be extra cordial at check-out in order to quell any fears the two might have had. They didn't seem too excited, just recommended me to the latest microbrewery. Picked up a case of Bitburger for some lawful unarmed consumption :cool:

Another uneventful day of OC...

steveforopen

imported post

OC'd to Bob's GunShop again today. Picked up 4 boxes of 7.62x39 for a little WASR-10 fun. OC'd to Sampson Gun Range in Greenville Township, shot next to a man shooting the exact same gun I OC with every day. Had a great conversation.

OC'd to the Moose Lounge in Harborcreek, got some wings, no attention

steveforopen

imported post

Haven't updated this in awhile, figured I'd keep yall posted :dude:

OC'd at Beer and Pop warehouse -- still no problems
OC'd at Patti's Pizza - never any problems, however this last time I was stared at more than any of the other times I've been
OC'd at The Saucery - local bar in town, read the newspaper and had some water. Same old same old, couple stares but no comments
OC'd to about 4 different Country Fairs in the area - only one comment. "How's it going tonight officer?" My response: "Oh, I'm not an officer" Them: "Oops, my bad" and off I went :p

Renegade

imported post

I live in VA now but was born/raised in Erie, PA.

I still have family there and ALWAYS open carry when I visit. Last year I decided to stop by the Erie County Courthouse while openly carrying. I walked in, greeted the deputy and declared that I wished to check in my firearm. He asked me to unload it and hand it to him. I did, he presented me with a receipt, and I went about my business.

On the way out I checked out my pistol, loaded it, hung it on my hip, and enjoyed the rest of the day in Erie.

I know someone that works within the courthouse and I too was told that I would likely be charged with disorderly conduct or something such as that. Nothing happened.