• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arby's - 17-year-old shoots carjacker who pulled gun on youth's mother

AbNo

imported post

This ended up on Digg, and was subsequently taken down.

http://tinyurl.com/2b4ov2

17-year-old shoots carjacker who pulled gun on youth's mother

METAIRIE, La. (AP) -- A man with a gun was trying to force a woman out of her car at a fast-food drive-through when the woman's 17-year-old son wrestled the gun away from him and shot him.

Carl Chestnut, 44, of Kenner, is expected to survive wounds to his head and body, and will face armed robbery charges once he is released from East Jefferson General Hospital, Col. John Fortunato, a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Monday.

It would have been safer to hand over the keys and let the gunman drive off, Sheriff Harry Lee said Monday.

Fortunato said the 53-year-old woman was in line at an Arby's Roast Beef Restaurant about 1:30 a.m. Monday when Chestnut walked up and pointed a gun at her, demanding their money and the car.

When he leaned inside, aiming the gun with one hand and trying to yank her out with the other, the 17-year-old grabbed the gun, Fortunato said. He said it went off once as they strugged, but did not hit anyone. Once the youth got the gun, he shot Chestnut several times, Fortunato said.

Sylena Rhodes, a corporate officer for Arby's, said, "He saved his mother's life. He's a hero. He's an absolute hero."

Lee acknowledged that the gamble succeeded, but said it was one that could have cost lives. He repeated advice that the best way to survive a holdup is to cooperate.

"Give them the money and give them the keys. You make an insurance payment on your car, and nobody gets shot," he said.

Edit: TinyURL for the win.

357SigFan

imported post

Lee acknowledged that the gamble succeeded, but said it was one that could have cost lives. He repeated advice that the best way to survive a holdup is to cooperate.

Riiight.... Tell that to people like Kelsey Smith, Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian.....

AbNo

imported post

You know, now that I think about it, I think the reason these spokescops tell people not to resist is

A> The media went out of their way to find a cop that would say that

or

B> It IS kind of a liability of the area's PD if someone DOES get hurt not getting sheared like the sheeple they are.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Oh, and

C> "Vigilantism" ("Militia doing its job") makes popos look bad, as though they can't contain the crime in the area.

jbobmurph

imported post

AbNo wrote:
You know, now that I think about it, I think the reason these spokescops tell people not to resist is

A> The media went out of their way to find a cop that would say that
That certainly wouldn't apply here - Harry Lee is the elected sheriff of Jefferson Parish (for those who failed US geography, a Parish in Louisiana is roughly equivalent to a County in the rest of the country. Jefferson Parish is immediately west/upriver from New Orleans;the New Orleansairport is actually in Jefferson Parish). He's the longest serving elected official in the state (he's been in office for 30 some odd years. And I'd say most would say that unlike many other long serving politicians, he's been re-elected year after year because he's done a pretty good job keeping Jefferson Parish a safe and desireable place to live.

AbNo wrote:
C> "Vigilantism" ("Militia doing its job") makes popos look bad, as though they can't contain the crime in the area.

There might be an argument here - although as I said before the crime is pretty low in Jefferson considering its proximity to New Orleans (though I don't know exactly what part of Metairie this was in - some parts are worse than others).

AbNo wrote:
B> It IS kind of a liability of the area's PD if someone DOES get hurt not getting sheared like the sheeple they are.

This seems the best explanation - Harry Lee is nothing if not a blunt-spoken pragmatist.

If you've done that google search I recommended you'll know that this is the guy that had the balls to say that he was going to have his deputies concentrate their patrols in black neighborhoods and have them question young black men loitering on street corners, because this is where the crime occurs and these are thepeople who commit the crimes. And then he refused to back down when called on it by Jessee Jackson, et al. What ever your stance on that (if I remember right, he ended up running the patrols but backing off SLIGHTLY on the "questioning people standing on a street corner").

More than anything, it kind of surprises me that Harry Lee would say anything in this regard; he's generally pretty good, pretty pro-gun rights, etc. For anyone not familiar with him, do a quick google search.

You'll note that guns weren't collected from law abiding citizens in Jefferson Parish after Kartina; for those who don't know the geography, this took place within a couple miles of New Orleans - the part of New Orleans that took 10+ feet of water (though due to the location of the canal breach, even though this area was at roughly the same negative elevation, it didn't take any water).

I have a feeling it has to do more with these exact circumstances -

1) You're dealing with a kid; I don't care if the kid has shot every day of his life, there's still going to be some bias (which I would tend to disagree with) and people are going to think that a kid can't fight back/protect himself and his mother. In other words, there was probably a belief at some levelthat this situation was a COMPLETE fluke.

2) You're dealing with a situation in which an unarmed person wrestled a gun from a guy. Obviously, none of us know what the exact circumstances are, but I think generally, in most circumstances it WOULDN'T be the wisest move to, as an unarmed person, start wrestling for a weapon with an armed person, unless the situation is utterly hopeless otherwise. Again - I wasn't there; maybe to this kid, it was. Maybe it in fact WAS utterly hopeless otherwise. But generally, I think most of us would agree that a guy on foot who tells a woman at a drive thru in a populated area (remember, the drive thru was presumably staffed, so there would have been witnesses) to get out of her car is PROBABLY just after the car.

Yes - if I have my gun and am in this situation, and can, ideallyunnoticed by the perp, draw and get the drop on him, I sure as hell am going to. But sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor. Or something like that.