• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone a member of WCWi (The Kenmore Shooting Range)?

Cue-Ball

imported post

My wife and I generally go to Wade's in Bellevue for target practice. I've been looking to get a new rifle soon, and Wade's doesn't seem to allow rifles unless you are a member. Membership there is quite expensive, and the range is very short, so I've been looking into alternatives. I stumbled upon the Kemore Shooting Range via packing.org, and it looks like just what I'm looking for. Is anyone else here a member or have experience with the facility and personnel?

http://www.wcwinc.org/index.htm

retrodad

imported post

I'm curious about others' experiences, as well.

One thing I do know for sure, after talking with an employee there over the phone several months ago, is that they do not allow any semi-automatic rifles. At the time I had acquired a Yugoslavian SKS that I wanted to test fire it there.

The first thing he told me was no semi-automatic rifles were allowed unless you loaded the rounds one at a time, by hand (.22 calibre exempted up to 10 rounds). Second, no steel-cased cartridges (not unusual - most places that contract out collection/disposal of spent cartridge shells will only do brass).

I appreciate them being open and up front about these things, but it kind of put me off. I mean, I love bolt actions as much as anyone else, but they comprise a very small part of my "arsenal". I also appreciate the fact that the Kenmoore range is in the middle of suburbia, so they may not allow much semi-automatic fire to make peace with the neighbors.

Are there any ranges around that allow semi-automatic rifles? Or am I stuck with going serveral counties away?

Cue-Ball

imported post

No semi-auto rifle firing allowed? Well, there goes that idea. I was interested in this range primarily to shoot a semi-auto rifle!

I really need to just buy some land out in the middle of nowhere and relocate there.

just_a_car

imported post

Jamfish, Sam's in Everett allows semi-autos, but you must be a member to even shoot rifles there. Memberships run $125/year for an individual or $150/year for a family.

If you purchase a gun at their gun store, you get one month of range time free.

They do have a 3 second rule on semi-auto high-powered rifles, though; only one shot every three seconds.

They've had a lot of issues, even with the members-only rule, of people hitting the target hangers with rifle rounds and messin' them up beyond repair. Plus, morons hitting the lights in the ceiling.:banghead:

Rifles are currently on probation to see if people keep screwing up the range with 'em and if they keep doing so, no one, even members, will be allowed to shoot rifles there after January 1, 2008.

sandy

imported post

SVRC allows full auto, and anything elseyou can do safely. It's a member-policed range. The only rules that get in the way of what I'd choose to do are those that prohibit me from shooting at fruit targets (because the mess would draw vermin),so I shoot water jugs instead of watermelons. Look them up.

--Sandy (WA)

just_a_car

imported post

sandy wrote:
SVRC allows full auto, and anything elseyou can do safely. It's a member-policed range. The only rules that get in the way of what I'd choose to do are those that prohibit me from shooting at fruit targets (because the mess would draw vermin),so I shoot water jugs instead of watermelons. Look them up.

--Sandy (WA)
That's surprising, since all full-auto weapons AND PARTS are illegal in the State of Washington....

*goes to get link to relevant statute*

Hm... after reading it, it may actually be legal, as it said MG's, SBR's, and SBS's that are "illegaly held or illegally possesed", so if you've got your $200 tax stamp, I would assume it to be legal and therefore not "contraband" as per RCW 9.41.220.

I was, as many I've seen online appear to be, under the impression that there was no way to legally own or fire full auto weapons or parts.

Of course, I have to say this: I'm not a lawyer, nor have any legal expertise.

gregma

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
My wife and I generally go to Wade's in Bellevue for target practice. I've been looking to get a new rifle soon, and Wade's doesn't seem to allow rifles unless you are a member. Membership there is quite expensive, and the range is very short, so I've been looking into alternatives. I stumbled upon the Kemore Shooting Range via packing.org, and it looks like just what I'm looking for. Is anyone else here a member or have experience with the facility and personnel?

I've been many times. It's great for rifles, and ok for handguns. They stress SLOW fire. One shot every 2-3 seconds. And minimum 25 yards for pistol.
SVRC would be the place to go I think. Haven't been there yet though. Sandy would be the one to talk to about that.

And when are you going to invite us out there to see what it's like Sandy??? :D

amlevin

imported post

I used to shoot a lot at Kenmore. They are, however, a very anal crowd. Slow fire only and if you own an autoloading rifle you can only load one round at a time in the magazine. I even had a rangemaster one time tell me that they don't allow shillouette targets because of the "black shape and it's racial implications". I looked at him and asked if he was serious. He was totally serious. Don't know if that still exists today but I gave up on shooting at Kenmore and went to Sams.

Recently though, the range in Arlington reopened. It is just west of Highway 9 on 172nd NE (The road from Hwy 9 to the Arlington Airport and Smokey Point.)

The staff there is extremely friendly. The Rangemaster is a Former FBI firearms instructor and very helpful. Rapid fire is allowed but no Draw and Fire from holster. OK to "low hold" and fire though.

Rifles are limited to 250 gr bullet and max speed of 3300 fps. Rapid fire of AR's and AK's OK but if you shoot up their target holders you could be asked to "contribute to the repair cost".

I like the slow and friendly pace there. I tend to stay longer and shoot more as there are more shooting stalls and less pressure to "move on".

Range Fee is $10 and Targets are $1 ea for a wide range of styles. Bring your own ammo or buy theirs. Same for Targets.

Later this summer/fall they will have a gun shop with Reloading and "Tactical Accessories" as well.

Don't work there but do recommend it as a change from the "Stiff" organization at Kenmore or for that matter, Sams.

sandy

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Hm... after reading it, it may actually be legal, as it said MG's, SBR's, and SBS's that are "illegaly held or illegally possesed", so if you've got your $200 tax stamp, I would assume it to be legal and therefore not "contraband" as per RCW 9.41.220.

I was, as many I've seen online appear to be, under the impression that there was no way to legally own or fire full auto weapons or parts.
Yeah, the ban on full auto in WA allows grandfathered weapons, and allows them to be legally transferred within the state. This means that their price continues to rise over time, and they are more expensive than elsewhere inthe country,but you can still legally buy a full auto weapon (or registered part) in WA as long as the weapon is already legally registered in-state. I don't own any myself, but some of the otherSVRC members do, and they bring them to share occasionally. Become a member, and then show up to help at one of the annual work/cleanup parties. You'll be friends with the right people in no time.

-- Sandy (WA)

John Hardin

imported post

amlevin wrote:
I used to shoot a lot at Kenmore. They are, however, a very anal crowd. Slow fire only and if you own an autoloading rifle you can only load one round at a time in the magazine. I even had a rangemaster one time tell me that they don't allow shillouette targets because of the "black shape and it's racial implications". I looked at him and asked if he was serious. He was totally serious. Don't know if that still exists today but I gave up on shooting at Kenmore and went to Sams.
Bear in mind the Kenmore range is walking a tightrope. They are surrounded by residential housing and have fought off at least one attempt to close them recently.

The single-shot-only restriction is primarily a safety restriction, but it also serves to keep from scaring the sheeple. If you behave responsibly and ask permission of the rangemaster first you can fire at least some semi-auto to perform "magazine function tests".

The restriction on silhouette targets is annoying, I agree, but again, it's to keep from alarming the sheeple they are surrounded by. However, they are planning to put in a defensive pistol course (Real Soon Now...) and I can't see prohibiting silhouette targets in that context.

I like Sam's because of the adjustable target distance, but I am keeping my WCW range membership.

kparker

imported post

Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club in University Place is at least as hemmed in as Kenmore, and while they don't allow rapid fire either the limit is only 1 round per second (much more realistic than 3.) It is a members-only range, however, so you can't just show up and pay for range time. (See the link for membership info, and everything else too.)

gregma

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:

Take a look at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club - SVRC. Reasonable membership and MUCH less anal than WCW.

http://www.svrifle.com/

retrodad

imported post

gregma wrote:
Cue-Ball wrote:

Take a look at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club - SVRC. Reasonable membership and MUCH less anal than WCW.

http://www.svrifle.com/
Sorry - I know this is an old thread. I was just looking at SVRifle's website and noticed they have to move their range in 3 years because the landlord (after 40 years) is giving them the boot.

Anyone know where they're thinking of relocating?