• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Small, Cheap, Reliable, and Poweful

357luvr

imported post

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted but the reason is a very long story. Lets just say that when your car drops a transmission one month and then catches fire and burns to the ground the next, it really messes with your budget.:cuss:Basically to make a long story short, I ended up having to sell every one of my guns to come up with money for a new vehicle. I'm coming into some unexpected money and have all but decided to start rebuilding my arsenal.

Even more bad news. The direction that my backstop is facing is pointing pretty much right in the middle of a new subdivision that's going in next to me. So I will no longer have my personal shooting range.:banghead:

The combination of these events have led me to drastically change my opinion of the "ideal handgun" and to be honest, I'm kinda lost. Basically the subject and description says it all. I'm looking for a small,cheap, reliable, and powerful handgun that's made to be carried a lot and shot a little.

So far I've only been able to think of a couple different options. I don't have time to post links but hopefully some of you will be familiar with these weapons.

1) Taurus 600 series including the 605 and the 650 - J framed 357, bought one last year for like $325-350
2) Mini Glock either in .40 or 10mm. My uncle has a G27 (.40) that he bought from me to help me out that I can get for $525. I don't know what the G29 would cost.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

357luvr wrote:
SNIP I'm looking for a small,cheap, reliable, and powerful handgun that's made to be carried a lot and shot a little.
These are kinda contradictory in some respects. I'm no expert in the firearms market over your way. Some thoughts:

1. Charter Arms Bulldog .44 (Special. I don't think it was ever offered in magnum.)

2. Estate sales and auction houses.

3. Taurus' smaller revolvers.

4. Ruger's SP101, 3" barrel if you can stand the add'l inch.

just_a_car

imported post

I absolutely love my G27 and use it for my carry sidearm. With the right ammo, it's not only potent, it's accurate. I out shoot my Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle when at the 25 yard range; I never thought that possible, to out-shoot a rifle with a 3.5" barreled gun. Heck, I was standing with the GLOCK and sitting at a bench with the rifle!

In case you're questioning reliability of the GLOCK, check this out: Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

It is indeed small and conceals Very well. I picked mine up "used" (but almost new, could barely tell it had been fired) with Heinie Straight Eight sights, Handall Grip, and Pearce +1 Mag Grip Extensions on both 10-rounders (plus a G23 10-rounder with A&G grip extension) on gunbroker.com for $425 + $20 shipping + $20 transfer fee = $465 total.

So, I think that takes care of: Small (check), Cheap, (check), Reliable (double-check), and Powerful (with the right ammo, check).

Oh, and by "right ammo", I should mention that I only carry Winchester Ranger SXT® 165gr HP (P/N: RA40TA), which I got a great deal from by a guy that sells them by the case over on GlockTalk. Normally I would say stay away from that forum, as they're kinda immature, but I'll link directly to the thread so you can pick up some yourself: Glock Talk - New Factory Fresh Winchester Ranger (RA40TA) Ammo - Free Shipping
And to get an idea of what these things can do compared to HydroShocks and others, check out one of my favorite non-official ammo testing sites, The Box O' Truth: Here and Here. Feel free to rummage around the site, there's a lot of fun stuff on there.

Hope that helps. ;)

357luvr

imported post

Yeah, I have nothing but good things to say about the G27. Like I said, the one that my uncle has, he got from me. It's the only gun that I've ever owned that I could just raise and point it and it'd be right on target. However, I'm pretty tight on money and was basically just wanting y'alls opinion ofTaurus' J framed revolvers versus the G27 or G29.

G27

imported post

Like JAC said, I can only recommend the G27 if you're looking for a completely concealable gun that has a powerful cartridge. I shopped around and test fired a whole plethora of pistols before buying and that is the only one that I felt was safe enough to carry daily and not having to worry about it malfunctioning. Maybe you could just see if your uncle will sell it back to you? ;)But then again, when it comes to my life I don't tend to cut corners so I was able to splurge a little when it came to buying the Glock, even then that wasn't that much money compared to a Kimber or the likes.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Taurus makes a model very similar to the Beretta Bobcat that is fairly cheap ($175-$200) It is only a 22, but there is a new type of 22 round that is specifically for self-defense. I can't remember the name of it, but almost every gun store I go in has it on the shelf. It is a nice little handgun, though. I am getting one for my wife in the near future.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Get the Glock. You'll regret it if you get a cheaper Taurus or other brand of semi-auto. I found that the extra savings just is not worth it, especially if you shoot frequently.

As for Glock versus XD...which is more concealable for you? If you're large enough, it may not matter. The Glocks are more efficient in terms of concealability versus capacity (narrow, etc).

You can score one used for a reasonable price off summitgunbroker.com or similar website.

zoom6zoom

imported post

650 - J framed 357, bought one last year for like $325-350
Probably easier to find a 642. Same price range brand new, 38 rather than 357, but the 38 is more efficient and controllable in the snubby. And you can shoot it alot, if your hand holds out.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

If a revolver is your preference, the Ruger SP101 is an excellent choice. If semi-auto is your aim, the Glock 27 is a great move. You may also consider the Kahr K40 Elite '03.. an excellent compact handgun (the K40 is an all steel piece).

Whole lotta good stuff out there.

tapper95

imported post

Kahr is now making the CW9 and CW40 which are slightly cheaper versions of MK lines... My Dad usually carries an MK9 and loves it... It fits nicely in a front pocket holster...

I've been fighting the urge to put a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact .40 on the credit card.... Shot the full size from the rental case at Bob's the other day, and I'm convinced that it will be my next gun... (BTW I carry a first generation Sigma 40V right now, so it's a logical step up... and more concealeable...) M&P Compacts are a little too new to find used ones very easily right now...

I don't think you can go wrong with the Smith& WessonAirweights either... of course the one I want costs a little more with the Crimson Trace grips... without the laser sight, you should be able to find a niceused one under $300...

One big issue that I've run into is finding good holsters... as many Sigmas as Smith& Wesson made, there are very few holsters designed for it that you can buy off the rack... Milt Sparks, Blade-Tech, Rosen, and a million other places will custom make them for you, but then you are getting into the realm of significantly effecting the overall price of your gun depending on the setup you want. That's the best advantage for the Glock (besides it's ugly quality...) You will find plenty of holsters for the Glock... or the J-frames... When looking at the price, you have to factor in holsters, extra mags, mag holders, or speed loaders and speed loader holders...

AbNo

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
I've been fighting the urge to put a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact .40 on the credit card....

My ex-gf was thinking about getting one of those for her 21st birthday... This is what I told her...

"You could get a Springfield XD for about the same cost, and optionally run full-size mags in it when you don't need to carry a tiny gun."

That, and you wouldn't be supporting a company that sided with the Brady Bunch a few years ago.

*gives his S&W 22-A the finger*

What'd be even better is if I could find that little plastic tab that just shot across the room. Hey S&W, is a captive recoil spring THAT hard to make? SA doesn't think so.... :cuss:

Drewesque

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Good.

Reliable.

Cheap.

Pick two.

Nah, you can get a revolver that is all three fairly easily, and finding a good, reliable, cheap, used autoloader isn't hard, either.

Taurus makes a solid revolver. And they have a fantastic warranty. And they're cheaper than the Glocks you're looking at. I love my XD, and you can get a used one for a pretty decent price (assuming someone will part with their XD). Heck, go to your local gun shop, tell them your price range, and see what they've got for you. Most of them are more than willing to be honest about quality issues with their guns, and they can sometimes make you a fantastic deal if there's something that's newly traded in or has been sitting there awhile.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
Good.

Reliable.

Cheap.

Pick two.

I've heard Bersa's are more or less all three...

And for only being a 9x18, the PA-63's pretty good. It will hit a man-sized target at 100 yards. :what:
I agree on the Bersa. I have both the .380 and the .40.

tapper95

imported post

I've decided on the M&P over the XD... and the safety is the deciding factor...

When I felt that gun in my hand, the grip safety just didn't feel right... It's smaller than a 1911 grip safety and feels like it needs to be another half inch longer... I don't like safeties as a rule, and this one just didn't feel easy to deal with...

I would hate for my last thought to be: "Hmmm, the trigger won't pull... maybe I need to readjust my grip..."

M&P has no safety except for the one in my trigger finger...