• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Small, Cheap, Reliable, and Poweful

Drewesque

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
I've decided on the M&P over the XD... and the safety is the deciding factor...

When I felt that gun in my hand, the grip safety just didn't feel right... It's smaller than a 1911 grip safety and feels like it needs to be another half inch longer... I don't like safeties as a rule, and this one just didn't feel easy to deal with...

I would hate for my last thought to be: "Hmmm, the trigger won't pull... maybe I need to readjust my grip..."

M&P has no safety except for the one in my trigger finger...

Unless you have tiny hands (and even then...), there's almost no way to miss the safety on the XD. In fact, if you have any sort of decent grip on the gun, even the tiniest handsshould depress the safety.But, hey, if the M&P felt better, it is a quality firearm. Everybody's gotta pick what's right for them.

Of course, I have unnecessarily large hands, so grip safeties are NEVER a problem for me. Hell, the big problem I run into when picking a gun is whether the grip is long and wide enough. Needless to say, I don't generally do 9mm. Or even .40.

I hope you enjoy the M&P.

AbNo

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
I've decided on the M&P over the XD...  and the safety is the deciding factor...

When I felt that gun in my hand, the grip safety just didn't feel right...  It's smaller than a 1911 grip safety and feels like it needs to be another half inch longer...  I don't like safeties as a rule, and this one just didn't feel easy to deal with...

I would hate for my last thought to be:  "Hmmm, the trigger won't pull...  maybe I need to readjust my grip..."

M&P has no safety except for the one in my trigger finger... 

I go shooting with my exGF about once a month, she has tiny hands, and has no problems with the XD's grip safety.

That being said, she was also looking at the M&P, as well.

Oh and Drew, I here you on the need for a large-grip.

AbNo

imported post

Tess wrote:
I agree on the Bersa.  I have both the .380 and the .40.

You know, I've seen the .380's, but I really don't want to stock another type of ammo.

If you don't mind my asking, about how much bigger are the Bersa .40's than the .380's?

Or maybe post side-by-side comparrison pictures? :D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I couldn't get these anywhere near as clear as I'd like. But this is my comparison between the .380 and the .40.

The .40 empty weighs about as much as the .380 with 7+1.

The Bersa .40 is about 1/2" shorter than a full-size 1911, with grip length approximately the same.

Attachments

• 2guns4.jpg
    2guns4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 227

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sorry. Messed up. Tried to put both photos in one post, but it (and the edit) didn't work.

This is the photo of the .380 and the .40.

Attachments

• 2Guns3.jpg
    2Guns3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 244

SFDoc

imported post

357luvr wrote:
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted but the reason is a very long story. Lets just say that when your car drops a transmission one month and then catches fire and burns to the ground the next, it really messes with your budget.:cuss:Basically to make a long story short, I ended up having to sell every one of my guns to come up with money for a new vehicle. I'm coming into some unexpected money and have all but decided to start rebuilding my arsenal.

Even more bad news. The direction that my backstop is facing is pointing pretty much right in the middle of a new subdivision that's going in next to me. So I will no longer have my personal shooting range.:banghead:

The combination of these events have led me to drastically change my opinion of the "ideal handgun" and to be honest, I'm kinda lost. Basically the subject and description says it all. I'm looking for a small,cheap, reliable, and powerful handgun that's made to be carried a lot and shot a little.

So far I've only been able to think of a couple different options. I don't have time to post links but hopefully some of you will be familiar with these weapons.

1) Taurus 600 series including the 605 and the 650 - J framed 357, bought one last year for like $325-350
2) Mini Glock either in .40 or 10mm. My uncle has a G27 (.40) that he bought from me to help me out that I can get for $525. I don't know what the G29 would cost.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks
If you’re still looking for a inexpensive (aka cheap) pistol you might want to check these out. My wife gave me the .357 Windicator as a birthday present. I’ve fired about 500 rounds through it (both .38 and .357 mag.) with no problems thus far and for me it is very accurate. It’s a little on the heavy side. Don’t know how their other pistols are, this is the first and only EAA I have but, for a less than $300 pistol I like it and thinking about maybe getting a couple of more.
http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns.html