• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Castle Doctorine SB62

BroadwayXD

imported post

CAPE GIRARDEAU– Gov. Matt Blunt today signed legislation he called for in his January State of the State Address clearly reinforcing Missourians' legal right to use force while defending themselves and their loved ones from attack.
"Americans maintain a deep reverence for their Second Amendment rights. This legislation is an extension of those rights. It ensures law-abiding Missourians will not be punished when they use force to defend themselves and their loved ones from attacks in their own home or vehicle," Gov. Blunt said. "I commend the General Assembly for supporting and passing this important law for Missouri families."
The legislation commonly referred to as the "Castle Doctrine" removes the requirement from law that victims must attempt to flee if attacked in their home before they are legally justified to forcefully defend themselves against their attacker. The bill also prohibits criminal charges or civil suits against Missourians who use justifiable force to defend themselves.
"As a husband, father, and Missouri Senator I am thrilled to bring Missouri law in line with the expectations of most Missourians. Finally, law-abiding Missourians can rest assured of their right to defend themselves and their families against unlawful intruders without being legally required to run away or wait for an intruder to physically attack," Sen. Jack Goodman said.
In addition, Senate Bill 62, sponsored by Sen. Jack Goodman, removes the requirement for Missourians to obtain a permit from their county sheriff in order to purchase a concealable firearm. Permits and background checks are federal requirements for the purchase of a concealable firearm. Duplicating this process at the county level is an unnecessary redundancy and an ineffective hassle for those law abiding Missouri citizens who are in the process of purchasing a firearm. The legislation also calls for records from court actions requiring people to undergo mental health treatment, either outpatient or in a facility, to be sent to the background check system when applying for concealed weapon permits.
"On behalf of Missouri NRA members and residents, I want to thank Governor Blunt for signing the 'Castle Doctrine' bill into law," said Chris Cox, executive director for NRA Institute for Legislative Action. "Missourians are fortunate to have a Governor and state legislators who respect the right to self defense."
Earlier this year the governor signed legislation ensuring that Missourians can keep their firearms during times of emergency.

http://www.gov.mo.gov/press/DefendLegislation070307.htm

He signed it just down the street from me and i didnt even know it till after i locked up the shop and checked to see if he signed today and found this.

Blunt signs "Castle Doctrine" bill in Cape Tuesday, July 3, 2007
By Bridget DiCosmo ~ Southeast Missourian
Gov. Matt Blunt signed legislation Tuesday at Arena Park strengthening the right to bear arms for Missourians and making it easier for them to legally guard their home from intruders. The legislation, commonly referred to as the "Castle Doctrine," removes the requirement of someone to retreat, or step back when defending their "castle," or residence, against an attack, burglary, or arson, before using their deadly force.
(Advertisement)
A 1902 Missouri Supreme Court decision removed that obligation for practical purposes, but the bill signed Tuesday also extends legal protection to someone who is attacked in their car to use the same deadly force with a firearm, if they feel their life is threatened.
"Americans maintain a deep reverence for their Second Amendment rights. This legislation is an extension of those rights," Blunt said before a small gathering of NRA members at the news conference.
The bill, the governor said, ensures that law-abiding citizens won't be punished when they use force to defend themselves and their loved ones from attacks in their own home or vehicle.
"Clearly, it's made a change in our legal system -- it makes it easier for Missourians to defend their homes," Gov. Blunt said.
State Sen. Jack Goodman, R-Mount Vernon, also there in support of the legislation, addressed his appreciation of the bill that would bring a "safer community and a safer Missouri."
Ron Hillis, of Poplar Bluff, Mo., who turned 45 today, considered the signing of the bill to be his birthday present from the governor. "I'm excited about the fact that people have a right to protect themselves without worrying about legalities-you can stand and fight," said Hillis.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1221426.html

I dont know about you all but I think this is a long time comming.
Great way to celebrate the 4th:celebrate

Superlite27

imported post

What is the significance of this statement?:

"In addition, Senate Bill 62, sponsored by Sen. Jack Goodman, removes the requirement for Missourians to obtain a permit from their county sheriff in order to purchase a concealable firearm. Permits and background checks are federal requirements for the purchase of a concealable firearm."

It says it removes the requirement only to purchase? What about carry? This doesn't negate the requirement for a CCW in order to pack does it?

BigGlock

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
What is the significance of this statement?:

"In addition, Senate Bill 62, sponsored by Sen. Jack Goodman, removes the requirement for Missourians to obtain a permit from their county sheriff in order to purchase a concealable firearm. Permits and background checks are federal requirements for the purchase of a concealable firearm."

It says it removes the requirement only to purchase? What about carry? This doesn't negate the requirement for a CCW in order to pack does it?
Nope, basic CCW laws are the same. This bill just rids us MO residents from the hassle of getting a permit to buy a concealable weapon (handgun). Under current law,a good citizen has to pay the sheriff $10 and wait seven days to buy a handgun in this county. After August 28th you'll be able to go right to the gun shop, pass the federal check, buy your handgun and go home with it right then. WooHoo!!